The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QST Review of IC7610?  (Read 6236 times)
N6MST

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 09:26:50 AM »

Peter Hart reviewed the IC-7610 in the June issue of RadCom.

What did he have to say about it?

I'm obviously not going to reproduce the entire article here, but here is his final blurb:

Conclusions
The IC-7610 is a most impressive radio with some great features and a superb performance. Adopting the latest in SDR technology, it is currently priced at around £3,500 and is an ideal radio for the serious HF enthusiast.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2018, 03:25:49 AM »

A butchered  DDC/DUC design that  could not even get something as a simple as calibrating the S-meter and bandscope right. I wonder what outdated SDR technology design platform Icom was using when designing the IC7610?

I'm obviously not going to reproduce the entire article here, but here is his final blurb:

Conclusions
The IC-7610 is a most impressive radio with some great features and a superb performance. Adopting the latest in SDR technology, it is currently priced at around £3,500 and is an ideal radio for the serious HF enthusiast.
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 08:13:07 AM »

(SIGH!)

Zenki, let's be serious.  Do you EVER contribute ANYTHING other than vague warnings and criticisms, similar to..

"OMG!  IMD is destroying the world!"  (Nope.  Probably much better to worry about global warming)

"They totally screwed up the design. It's so NOT Feng Shui!"  (Oh, yeah, that tells us a lot.)
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2018, 09:02:42 AM »

The only real review, how does it sound on the air?

Kraus
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2018, 02:32:46 PM »

First off Zenki has no amateur licence to speak of, he lists no call sign, which means he either lives in a country not like the USA which may have a code requirement, might be a CB type that knows a little more technical terms then the average CBer and clearly he has no name or call sign. pretends to think he knows something about this hobby but in the end just like soo many on the internet takes up bandwidth with his rant and raving. He is a wanna be ham, trolls forums just for the sake of pissing others off and we sometimes give into him or you can just ignore him.
VK2NZA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 08:03:29 PM »

You have to marvel at Zenki's consistency !
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2018, 11:56:33 PM »

The only real review, how does it sound on the air?

Kraus
Not really, how it "looks" on air with a panadapter shows whether the IMD is good.

The IC7300 that belong to friends I work daily look fine, compared to most rigs I see.

Icom can do a reasonable job, even with a 12V PA on the 7300...

73 Dave
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2018, 10:40:46 AM »

Herr AON,

Panadapter? So if it shows a marginal I.M.D., do you refuse to communicate with them?

I'll talk to anyone if I can understand them.

Kraus

K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2018, 01:26:02 PM »

Dave (G4AON):

Not really, how it "looks" on air with a panadapter shows whether the IMD is good.

You're probably aware of this (if so, sorry for the redundant advice), but panadapter (especially waterfall) traces can be VERY misleading.  The most frequent cause of apparent spectral broadening on a modern DSP panadapter is saturation of YOUR rigs IF, soundcard ADC or subsequent digital processing, not a poor TX waveform.  One signal that is well above the rest in strength can do this - I.e. someone who is very close to your QTH or simply has a very good path between you and him/her.

One way to be a more certain that waterfall blooming around a received signal is the result of a poor TX quality is to: 1.  Reduce RF front end gain (switch in your attenuator, if the rig has one), 2. Turn down the audio loading to the sound card (in the rig or otherwise - assuming you are using one), 3.  Pay more attention to the signal width shown in the spectral display that is usually UNDER or OVER the waterfall than the waterfall itself.  If you've done all that and the TX signal still seems to be 2x or so broader than it should be, then it MAY be a TX signal problem.  Otherwise the issue is likely on your end.

Brian - K6BRN
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2018, 07:13:57 PM »

By the way, my Alinco SR-8T and FL Digi make a great spectrum analyzer.

Kraus
HAMFESTS

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2018, 09:24:05 AM »

I don't see it mentioned anywhere but ARRL has the IC-7610 review in the product reviews section.
W6RZ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2018, 10:15:40 AM »

I don't see it mentioned anywhere but ARRL has the IC-7610 review in the product reviews section.

Here's the link, but you have to be an ARRL member.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/protected/Group/Members/ProductReview/PROD_REV_1018.pdf
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 11:08:12 AM »

A butchered  DDC/DUC design that  could not even get something as a simple as calibrating the S-meter and bandscope right. I wonder what outdated SDR technology design platform Icom was using when designing the IC7610?

Conclusions
Consider the source he would be welcomed over at QRZ with open arms by the head mod.
AF6LJ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 11:25:20 AM »

It will be interesting to see what the ARRL has to say when all is said and done...
I know one thing for sure, this is the next big step forward in receiver / transmitter design.
I have an early SDR made by Motorola; the Micom 2E I own is from 2006 and even as an early SDR outperforms every superhet I have laid my hands on, and with almost none of the Wiz-Bang features Ham gear has (only a notch filter and noise reduction).

Gotta love that technology. Smiley

KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2018, 11:35:59 AM »

Hey Zenki if you do actually read anything plus understand it look at the QST lab review of the 7610 IMD figures, except for the Anan with pure signal the numbers are dam good and for a no number MDS of -130/131db with reciprocal mixing of 113db at 2Khz are excellent numbers. The only area is blocking at around 122db but anyone who owns an sdr radio will just ever so slightly back off on the RF gain or add 3db of attenuation and its all good. What the ARRL doesn't do is test the ultimate channel selectivity anymore which Sherwood Engineering does and that is greater than -110db but the ARRL still gives second order numbers which were above 73/4db.
Just read the contester's/DXer's mini review of this radio compared with his 7851. ZAll I can say Zenki is for a 12V final to be that clean maybe this will shut you up for a while, stop winning like a cry baby about IMD.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: