The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New building at Hamvention is a no-go  (Read 6197 times)
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 01:58:22 PM »

(and there's nothing wrong with tented exhibition space).

Tents on grass pretty much stink in the true sense of the word.  They fill up with dank funky air from the wet grass and ground and speaking for myself, I can barely stand to walk through one on the way to something else.  If the sides are pulled up that's okay, but they usually are not because of wind and rain.  Almost all the tent vendors had stuff I never saw because I couldn't stand the reek inside those things. 

Hi,

I absolutely agree, cramped, dank, and humid tents to me just does not convey a "classy", techy electronics event.  I also noticed that even with the "improvements" in the flea walkways, and it seemed by noon Saturday a LOT of the outdoor venders were long gone.  The food was a great improvement, to bad there were few seats out of the rain to enjoy it.  YMMV

John
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 06:12:39 PM »

W8JX For someone who doesn't attend Hamvention , you sure complain a lot about it.  
 It must be true what they say , sour grapes do make good "whine" Cheesy

For someone that does not live in the area, LIKE I DO, or that that has been attending their event since they were little more than garage sales and has even work at shows too in past you act like you know alot and for some strange reason you are very defensive of them. In reality you not aware of the BS and scams DARA has pulled over the years to make a buck. I suspect you think it is fine for DARA be allowed to force a business to move because of a 3 day even once a year. (maybe instead they should force DARA to move) Did some digging and it seems that Greene county is trying to attract some regular vendors for new spaces to pay for upgrades and it is possible that they want DARA to compensate them for lost business and expenses for shutting down for hamvention and want DARA to foot bill in form of much higher rent.

You really should not comment on things that are not in area where you live and that you do not know local news as I would not comment on events on your town. I learned many many years ago, what DARA put in Koolaid or says in their blogs or comments vs what is in actually stated in local news and reported in local grape vine are two different matters. I commented on this thread because I wanted to clarify it was a 2 year contract and way they are likely having problems getting a new contract. Personally I would love to see them force to move like they did a 44 year old year round business for a once a year 3 day show.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 07:59:44 PM »

W8JX, what kind of "44 year old year round business" needed to move and lost business, and shut down, in order for DARA to hold their show?

if DARA paid more than that other business did for the 3 days, well that's the fairgrounds decision, isn't it?  If the fairground wants compensation for lost business, why would it even want to lease to DARA then?

The explanation is hard to understand.... maybe I'm missing something here.

Since you live around there, and as you said this is already known to people in the area and even stated on the local news and the grapevine, can you name names or at least descriptions of the affected businesses on this forum?  Or put in a link or two to those online versions of the local news stories about this?

73, Ed
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 08:17:34 PM by VE3WGO » Logged
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 08:51:24 PM »

W8JX, what kind of "44 year old year round business" needed to move and lost business, and shut down, in order for DARA to hold their show?....
From a year old issue of the Daily Daily News:
"....the Greene County Fairgrounds Board of Directors chose to terminate the lease for the store. Board President Jerry Liming said at the time the lease was terminated after an agreement could not be reached with Smith on relocating the store in May to accommodate Hamvention......"
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 05:09:52 AM »

You know that DARA forced a furniture business that operated for 44 year on Greene county fairgrounds to move last year because they had county force them to close during month of May 2017 and repurposed their building and spaces to accommodate hamfest because of lack of space and facilities there. The closure cost furniture company about 30K in lost profits in May and they moved a few months latter causing county to loose 1000's in steady rental income which they are not happy about. I am sure they want a lot more rent money from DARA now that they do not want to pay and why there is no deal. 
You mean that empty building with nothing in it, the first year at Xenia?

Oh, that's right.  I forgot.  You wouldn't know.  You were never there.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 06:03:15 AM »

You know that DARA forced a furniture business that operated for 44 year on Greene county fairgrounds to move last year because they had county force them to close during month of May 2017 and repurposed their building and spaces to accommodate hamfest because of lack of space and facilities there. The closure cost furniture company about 30K in lost profits in May and they moved a few months latter causing county to loose 1000's in steady rental income which they are not happy about. I am sure they want a lot more rent money from DARA now that they do not want to pay and why there is no deal. 

Been to fair ground for other events in past and thats why I knew at start it was a poor choice of location dah.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 06:34:19 AM »

W8JX, what kind of "44 year old year round business" needed to move and lost business, and shut down, in order for DARA to hold their show?....
From a year old issue of the Daily Daily News:
"....the Greene County Fairgrounds Board of Directors chose to terminate the lease for the store. Board President Jerry Liming said at the time the lease was terminated after an agreement could not be reached with Smith on relocating the store in May to accommodate Hamvention......"

It was terminated because they wanted compensation for lost income from forced shutdown which greene county did not want to pay so they used a escape clause and terminated lease after 44 years for a 3 day show! Furthermore, green county lost future income from that lease that has cost them close to 1/3 of what DARA paid to rent it for two years now so they made little money if any when other costs form accommodating 3 day event are factored in. DARA in their arrogance expects the world to revolve around them and shut down businesses and schools for them at no cost to them. At HARA there was no vendors or businesses other than concessionaires so no businesses or school had to shut down for event. Not so in Xenia which is also a small town too ill suited to event. Also with new building they are banking on some businesses leasing year round space there and they cannot be shut down or evicted for a month for DARA (it is a farm community and facility and May is farm month) It seems now that the free ride is over for DARA as county has realized it made a poor deal in past and DARA will have to dig deeper into pocket book or move. I suspect they will move. Lets see what plan "C" is. 

As fair grounds go, for many years I have see ads for Clark, Campaign, Miami, Darke and even new Montgomery county fairgrounds location for events other than annual fairs ( gun show at Montgomery this week end) but very rarely see anything for Green county as it is a poor location with limited access and that will not change unless they move fairgrounds.  The country is full of abandoned buildings that were built to accommodate businesses or events but they died because of a poor location. 

W3UC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 11:33:39 AM »

Would you like some cheese with that whine ?

W8JX For someone who doesn't attend Hamvention , you sure complain a lot about it.  
 It must be true what they say , sour grapes do make good "whine" Cheesy

For someone that does not live in the area, LIKE I DO, or that that has been attending their event since they were little more than garage sales and has even work at shows too in past you act like you know alot and for some strange reason you are very defensive of them. In reality you not aware of the BS and scams DARA has pulled over the years to make a buck. I suspect you think it is fine for DARA be allowed to force a business to move because of a 3 day even once a year. (maybe instead they should force DARA to move) Did some digging and it seems that Greene county is trying to attract some regular vendors for new spaces to pay for upgrades and it is possible that they want DARA to compensate them for lost business and expenses for shutting down for hamvention and want DARA to foot bill in form of much higher rent.

You really should not comment on things that are not in area where you live and that you do not know local news as I would not comment on events on your town. I learned many many years ago, what DARA put in Koolaid or says in their blogs or comments vs what is in actually stated in local news and reported in local grape vine are two different matters. I commented on this thread because I wanted to clarify it was a 2 year contract and way they are likely having problems getting a new contract. Personally I would love to see them force to move like they did a 44 year old year round business for a once a year 3 day show.
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 02:49:28 PM »

still hard to understand.

if it's such a poor location, why did the furniture business want to be there?

and it seems that the Green County owners are the ones who might have made the bad decision here...  they decided they wanted Hamvention more than the furniture company.  That wasn't up to DARA, cuz DARA does not own the property.

Can't blame DARA (I have nothing to do with DARA or any other American club...  just trying to understand the problem as it is written).  They will go wherever there is enough space in a reasonable facility, and it sounds like you're saying this part of Ohio is not the place to be these days.  Neither for a hamfest nor a furniture store.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 07:30:45 PM »

Been to fair ground for other events in past and thats why I knew at start it was a poor choice of location dah.
But you’ve never attended Hamvention at the fair grounds, by your own frequent admission.

Well, look on the bright side.  You still have something to kvetch about.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2018, 12:54:21 PM »

I've given up trying to understand him.  The tighter he gets wound up about something, the less intelligible he becomes. Rambling, run on sentences that are missing words and/or cohesion. He does get unintentionally humorous at times though which is the only reason I haven't used the "Ignore" button for him.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 12:56:49 PM by WI8P » Logged
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2018, 07:44:51 PM »

I've given up trying to understand him.  The tighter he gets wound up about something, the less intelligible he becomes. Rambling, run on sentences that are missing words and/or cohesion. He does get unintentionally humorous at times though which is the only reason I haven't used the "Ignore" button for him.

LOL I have noticed that for several years now. But it is humorous to read!

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2018, 07:16:56 AM »

What's DARA?

Kraus
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2018, 08:06:30 AM »

What's DARA?

Kraus

Dayton Amateur Radio Association. The group that puts on Hamvention.
And for some reason, the arch-nemesis of W8JX.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2018, 09:14:08 AM »

OK Got it. Hamvention. That's the Dayton hamfest? The big one? The chick magnet.

If JX considers it his nemesis, that's his business, he has his reason.

I almost drowned once so I have an eternal fear of water.

How do JX. How's the family? How's everyones' families.

Kraus
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: