The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New building at Hamvention is a no-go  (Read 5748 times)
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2018, 03:19:02 PM »

It's a big site, plenty of room for more tents (and there's nothing wrong with tented exhibition space).

Peter DL8OV

I had more than enough tent time in the Boy Scouts.AC does not work well for them either since they usually don't have any.

Clayton
W4KVW
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2018, 12:00:23 PM »

I had more than enough tent time in the Boy Scouts.AC does not work well for them either since they usually don't have any.

Especially when they charge high admin rates for cheap barnyard/tent setting. Apparently DARA falling out with fairgrounds because they think they should "own" fairground for a week a year and push all other year round vendors out of their spaces. Well that dog is not going to hunt.  DARA should of taken the mega bucks they sunk in clubhouse compound over the years and instead leased a building long term that they could rent out the other 51 weeks in a year rather than the millions they wasted at HARA over the years.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2018, 06:32:15 PM »

...... DARA should of taken the mega bucks they sunk in clubhouse compound over the years and instead leased a building long term that they could rent out the other 51 weeks in a year rather than the millions they wasted at HARA over the years.

well DARA must be doing something right, making millions by hosting one of the world's largest hamfests all these years!

73, Ed
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2018, 08:56:50 PM »

...... DARA should of taken the mega bucks they sunk in clubhouse compound over the years and instead leased a building long term that they could rent out the other 51 weeks in a year rather than the millions they wasted at HARA over the years.

well DARA must be doing something right, making millions by hosting one of the world's largest hamfests all these years!

73, Ed

They did. Just a few complain about anything DARA does.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2018, 06:41:16 PM »

73, Ed

No it just dumb luck and stupid sheep that willing to pay real show prices for a barn yard show. Take a drive past DARA Compound and look how they spared no expense there and how they cut every corner on cost for barn yard shows.

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2018, 10:42:09 PM »

73, Ed

No it just dumb luck and stupid sheep that willing to pay real show prices for a barn yard show. Take a drive past DARA Compound and look how they spared no expense there and how they cut every corner on cost for barn yard shows.

Who cares? If you don't like the show...don't go. If you do like the show...enjoy it.

Some will complain about DARA no matter what they do. Again...if you don't like what DARA does...join and work for change. If you like what DARA does, simply congratulate them on their success.

Maybe someday you can do something besides whine and complain. Oh wait...that's right...you can't.

I would rather be a sheep and produce wool than be what ever you are that just complains from behind a keyboard. At least I would be doing something that adds to the betterment of the world. Much more beneficial than your continuous anger that produces nothing.

Did you ever consider a different hobby so you don't have to spend half your life complaining about DARA?

73, Stan
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2018, 08:24:43 PM »

I attended a LARGE Model Train Show yesterday at the NEW Montgomery County (Dayton) Fairgrounds.  This train show also was formerly held at HARA Arena for many, many years and has been looking for a new home, like HAMvention, since HARA’s demise.  This was my first visit to the new venue.  In my opinion, It has “possibilities” as far as being a future site for the HAMvention.  There is PLENTY of land available.  There are currently two fairly large exhibit halls on site. Two tents were also set up for displays and vender’s use.  For it to work for the HAMvention, Two or Three more exhibit halls would be nice along with more paved parking.  It is conveniently located west of Dayton a short distance off of US-35.  The access road (Infirmary Rd) would have to be widened for better ingress/egress.  A “NEGATIVE”, however, is the fact that there are NO Hotels or Restaurants nearby.  If Dayton is SERIOUS about bringing back the area’s largest annual convention, the local government there will have to make some tough decisions and spend some money to optimize the new Fairgrounds.  It really does have some potential....
VE3WI

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2018, 06:34:32 AM »

But if Hamvention relocated to Montgomery Co., wouldn't it be just another "barn yard show" (to quote a frequent poster on this topic)?  In a web article on the attractions at the Montgomery Co. Fair, I read "... 4H, livestock, petting zoo, dog show, harness racing, rodeo ...".  Sounds a lot like the description of the Greene Co. Fair (and every other county fair that I've attended).

I thought this years' Hamvention was pretty good, all things considered.  I'll take a little mud over sewage any day :-)  I'd definitely recommend the remote parking lots & shuttles over the on site grass parking lots, unless you're driving a 4x4 or like getting towed.

See you there next year.

Dave, VE3WI

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2018, 10:57:43 AM »

I attended a LARGE Model Train Show yesterday at the NEW Montgomery County (Dayton) Fairgrounds.  This train show also was formerly held at HARA Arena for many, many years and has been looking for a new home, like HAMvention, since HARA’s demise.  This was my first visit to the new venue.  In my opinion, It has “possibilities” as far as being a future site for the HAMvention.......
The Montgomery County Fairgrounds building have a reported total floor space of 42,000 sq. ft.  The Greene County Fairgrounds buildings have a total floor space of 48,000 sq. ft.  Compare that to the Hara complex which had a total floor space of 165,000 sq. ft.  There are big plans for the new Fairgrounds, with additional buildings.  But it remains to be seen if those plans ever come to fruition.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 11:06:14 AM by K3GM » Logged
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2018, 11:52:17 AM »

Just curious but what are the airports serving Xenia and how far are they. My only time to Xenia was on the way to Nashville for a NSRA National Street Rod meet shortly after that monster F5 tornado in 74.........what a mess that was!!

Dayton was convenient in that respect however in the ~25 times I went there I drove a 1T extended wheelbase and body van full of goodies to sell.

Ive no horse in this race.
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2018, 12:34:50 PM »

But if Hamvention relocated to Montgomery Co., wouldn't it be just another "barn yard show" (to quote a frequent poster on this topic)?  In a web article on the attractions at the Montgomery Co. Fair, I read "... 4H, livestock, petting zoo, dog show, harness racing, rodeo ...".  Sounds a lot like the description of the Greene Co. Fair (and every other county fair that I've attended).

The property at the NEW Montgomery Fairgrounds is FLAT.  The exhibit buildings are modern and clean.  There was no evidence of cattle, but I am sure the 4H and others would make use of the facilities there.  Traffic from downtown Dayton would be quick and easy as the new, multi-lane US-35 bypass goes within a few hundred yards of the property at Infirmary Road.  Infirmary Rd. would need to be widened off of US-35 for easier access to the fairgrounds.  There is plenty of room for more exhibit halls, parking and flea market....all on ONE Site.  Just thinking ahead in case the Xenia venue becomes problematic down the road....
KD8IWZ

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2018, 04:15:58 PM »

Just curious, wonder how much furniture W8JX bought form the store that was 'forced' to move.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2018, 07:22:11 AM »

Just curious, wonder how much furniture W8JX bought form the store that was 'forced' to move.

It is totally amazing how many "experts" there are on DARA actions that bless them and do not even live here and yet someone who does and sees through smoke screen because they are local and know what is really going on is attacked. It boils down to is that the truth is what they want it to be and they do not want to here what it real is.

W3UC

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2018, 03:54:32 PM »

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2018, 07:43:16 PM »

It is totally amazing how many "experts" there are on DARA actions that bless them and do not even live here and yet someone who does and sees through smoke screen because they are local and know what is really going on is attacked. It boils down to is that the truth is what they want it to be and they do not want to here what it real is.

So only JX knows the truth. You heard it here folks. Everyone else knows nothing. He says so...LOL

Seems like those that appoint themselves as the true truth keepers are the same ones that do nothing besides whine and complain.

Score another one for the sheep. At least sheep do something. Something as simple as attending and drawing their own conclusions based on real experience. Far more expertize then those who whine but do not attend.

Score another one for the sheep. We read up on what's happening and comment based on the information provided. Most of which does not come from DARA members. But the gospel of JX dismisses any information that he has not filtered to remove anything good that is done either by DARA or Hamvention attendees. In that gospel only the bad (in JX's wisdom) is stated.

73, Stan
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: