The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New building at Hamvention is a no-go  (Read 6943 times)
K3GM

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2018, 03:31:36 PM »

This just released by a Hamvention spokesperson:

"In the spirit of being transparent to our Hamvention family, we are distributing this update:

Hamvention/Dayton Amateur Radio Association has spent many hours working with Greene County officials to reach an agreement on a long-term contract where both the Fairgrounds and Hamvention would feel comfortable erecting a new building. Unfortunately, we have currently been unable to successfully reach an agreement satisfactory to all parties.

This does not mean our relationship with Greene County and the fair board is not good, quite the contrary, it is excellent.  It does mean that we will not have a new building for Hamvention 2019.   Some of the significant upgrades accomplished in 2018 were, improved tents, permanent paths in the infield (flea market area) and we added an additional forum room.  More improvements are planned for 2019."
K5UJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 03:06:46 AM »

http://www.arrl.org/news/hamvention-officials-say-no-new-building-for-2019
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 11:11:07 AM »

It's a big site, plenty of room for more tents (and there's nothing wrong with tented exhibition space).

Peter DL8OV
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 01:52:20 PM »

Hamvention/Dayton Amateur Radio Association has spent many hours working with Greene County officials to reach an agreement on a long-term contract where both the Fairgrounds and Hamvention would feel comfortable erecting a new building.
To me, that suggests that a change in venue is being planned. i.e. Greene County wanted a long term commitment, but DARA was only willing to go for a short term contract.  Something's up...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 01:58:18 PM by K3GM » Logged
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 04:12:31 PM »

Hamvention/Dayton Amateur Radio Association has spent many hours working with Greene County officials to reach an agreement on a long-term contract where both the Fairgrounds and Hamvention would feel comfortable erecting a new building.
To me, that suggests that a change in venue is being planned. i.e. Greene County wanted a long term commitment, but DARA was only willing to go for a short term contract.  Something's up...

Maybe.   I thought they signed a 3 year deal.   So, 2019 is the 3rd year.   Though it may give dara time to find a place. 

The issue though is that they have been working out the kinks from last year, and other then mud, there really weren't any kinks this year.   

Moving it again may cause people to not attend.   

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 09:27:49 PM »

I thought they signed a 3 year deal.   So, 2019 is the 3rd year.   Though it may give dara time to find a place. 

All I ever heard in local news was a two year deal and this was year two. According to news they paid 85k total when they signed deal for 2 years. A mere fraction of what Hara cost for one year. Been nothing in local news about a new deal. New Montgomery county fairgrounds off 35 near Dayton VA is up and running.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K5UJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 03:20:32 AM »

(and there's nothing wrong with tented exhibition space).

Tents on grass pretty much stink in the true sense of the word.  They fill up with dank funky air from the wet grass and ground and speaking for myself, I can barely stand to walk through one on the way to something else.  If the sides are pulled up that's okay, but they usually are not because of wind and rain.  Almost all the tent vendors had stuff I never saw because I couldn't stand the reek inside those things. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 04:02:09 AM »

(and there's nothing wrong with tented exhibition space).

Tents on grass pretty much stink in the true sense of the word.  They fill up with dank funky air from the wet grass and ground and speaking for myself, I can barely stand to walk through one on the way to something else.  If the sides are pulled up that's okay, but they usually are not because of wind and rain.  Almost all the tent vendors had stuff I never saw because I couldn't stand the reek inside those things. 

I do agree but tents do fit it with past barn yard setting theme and paying higher admission fees for less facilities.

N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 05:29:19 AM »

New Montgomery county fairgrounds off 35 near Dayton VA is up and running.

Looking at a satellite view of the site, there is very little, if any onsite parking.   

Please provide a detailed parking plan similar to what the Greene County Fairgrounds/dara uses now.  You may use offsite parking.  If so, then provide a minimim of 5 satellite lots similar in size to what dara used this year.   

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 05:54:10 AM »

Looking at a satellite view of the site, there is very little, if any onsite parking.   

How old is your satellite view? It is likely out of date. New fairgrounds was just completed this spring. It was built on land that had been a park that did not have much parking.

N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 06:47:33 AM »

How old is your satellite view? It is likely out of date. New fairgrounds was just completed this spring. It was built on land that had been a park that did not have much parking.

I have a special secret CIA/NSA clearance that allows me to view real time map images. 

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 06:53:44 AM »

I have a special secret CIA/NSA clearance that allows me to view real time map images. 

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 11:09:40 AM »

You know that DARA forced a furniture business that operated for 44 year on Greene county fairgrounds to move last year because they had county force them to close during month of May 2017 and repurposed their building and spaces to accommodate hamfest because of lack of space and facilities there. The closure cost furniture company about 30K in lost profits in May and they moved a few months latter causing county to loose 1000's in steady rental income which they are not happy about. I am sure they want a lot more rent money from DARA now that they do not want to pay and why there is no deal. 

N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 01:34:40 PM »

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Still waiting for your detailed parking plan.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

W3UC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 01:48:33 PM »

W8JX For someone who doesn't attend Hamvention , you sure complain a lot about it.  
 It must be true what they say , sour grapes do make good "whine" Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: