The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Dream Amplifier': Solid State vs Tube  (Read 2582 times)
VR2AX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2018, 04:29:35 AM »

A call sign can also add to the party. A 5 digit VK call has a big plus over any 6 digit call, and the list goes downhill.
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2018, 06:40:27 AM »

Zenki:
I have other dreams too, such as finding the perfect piece of land for a nice antenna farm.  Shouldn't be too hard given VK is a large place, but we'll get there.

As for the amp, as I said the point isn't to use it, the point is to build it.  The only thing I could legally run it into at anywhere close to full power is a very large dummy load, so the requirement for land or high power antennas is rather moot.  Unless VK change their laws, or I swindle someone into an X class licence.  Unlikely.

The big tetrodes seem to be the way to go if one wants to go past 10k, however those fully finished pallet amplifiers also look quite nice. 

Definitely not in the 'dream amp' category, but with the transformers I currently have a couple of the dual LDMOS pallets and a 3 port splitter/combiner would make a nice little '4k' solid state amp that would likely take up less room than an OM Power OM4000HF.

The issue of course then becomes the filter network and the requirement for a tuner.

Anyway, dream fellas Smiley. I for one certainly have no intention of ever pumping 10kw into a G5RV...

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2018, 05:52:42 AM »

VK3BL, a.k.a. Dr. Frankenstein.

So if you live way out there, why not go 10 kilowatts? Who's going to know? Acquire a couple of Ameritron
AL-82 and build a power combiner. That'll be 3,000 watts.

I got thinking to build another EB-104 amplifier, combine it with my other one for 1,200 watts but then I
found two AL-80A's on eBay. My combiner is ready. I just need to change the outlet's circuit breaker from
twenty amperes to thirty amperes.

Kraus
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: