The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 12 V 15,000 mah Lithium-ion Battery Charger/Power Pack  (Read 3982 times)
K2PHD

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2018, 02:28:20 PM »

Has anyone used a 12 V 15,000 mah Lithium-ion Battery Charger/Power Pack to power their qrp equipment. I am very interested in finding out how they perform, how long they last, how quickly they charge. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

73, Doc - K2PHD
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 09:56:29 PM »

15,000 maH Li-io battery pack.....15A.... didn't know they made such a beast!  More info please.

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 03:14:02 AM »

Even among lithium batteries there is the good, bad and ugly.  Having the specific brand/model of the unit you're talking about would be useful.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 03:36:07 AM »

these things come in Five Power Ranges:
- 8000mAh
- 18000mAh
- 20000mAh
- 68800mAh
- 82800mAh

if you have blinked, recently, then you may have missed them.
- usually called  "jump starter power bank".

the better ones, have 2 - 4 5v  usb ports, an 19v port, an light,
& can Start your Vehicle,, hence the name.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 05:24:01 AM »

Use a motorcycle, lawn mower, car battery. I assume you're setup is mobile/portable.

They're cheaper and less dangerous.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 05:54:55 AM »

Has anyone used a 12 V 15,000 mah Lithium-ion Battery Charger/Power Pack to power their qrp equipment. I am very interested in finding out how they perform, how long they last, how quickly they charge. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

73, Doc - K2PHD

Doc, I read your bio on qrz.com which includes "retired professor of the adjunct faculty at County College of Morris' Engineering and Technology Department" and I can't help but wonder how, with your background, you expect a coherent answer to your question when you fail to provide necessary data - like which QRP rig, which charge levels, which battery, which charge technique (balanced or not)?

Based on the data provided in your question, there is only one valid answer: it  depends.

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 07:24:32 AM »

Herr AE5X,

I too wonder about some of the 'hams' here.

One asks about his amplifier. He says he has no experience with high voltages. I told him to get experience.

Sheesh!

Kraus

K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 07:56:37 AM »

John (AE5X):

"Dr. Jim" claims to have and Information Technologies background, not EE and he's simply asking a common question about a using a jump-start booster pack for powering a QRP rig.

If all is not as it seems, who cares?  At least he's not lecturing us about Kirchoff's laws in antenna/coax terms (because its just not that simple) and claiming to be a fractal antenna expert or is selling an "invisibility cloak".   Nor has he been banned from any public forums that I know of.

FYI:  https://www.linkedin.com/in/dr-jim-kennedy-mcte-ceh-mrp-crisc-2a429014/  (Maybe "Dr. Jim"?)

Also, the college he said he taught at as an "adjunct professor" is a community college.  Teaching at a CC requires much less in the way of credentials than teaching at the high school level, and as a "adjunct" professor, even less.  So... not hard to imagine.

His QRZ bio reads more like a Linkedin bio and his Linkedin bio has quite a few oddities.  But we're not interviewing Jim for a job, either.  So, once again, who cares?  Risk = Zero.  And Kraus is right in that respect - half the "experts" on social media are posers.

So - not sure why you had such a strong reaction to "Dr. Jim"

Brian - K6BRN

N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 09:08:33 AM »

Go to Bioenno Power.  They sell many Li batteries and have the stats on all of them.  A 15AH battery from them lists at $150.  I have seen the car starting Li packages from China retailing at $60 or less with that capacity battery.  If I had one of those I would certainly charge it outdoors in case it decided to go ballistic.  I have a 20AH bioenno and can run a FT891 all weekend on that.  Any of the current QRP rigs could probably run for a whole field day on 15AH.  They are very light for the amount of power they contain.  The math needed to figure out usage time verses original capacity is not very complicated.
Art

AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 05:35:39 PM »

So - not sure why you had such a strong reaction to "Dr. Jim"

You're right - totally uncalled for. My apologies.

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 06:32:51 PM »

Thank you all.  Learned something today! 

K2PHD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 07:26:21 AM »

Thank you to all that took the time to reply to my post. For the most part, very helpful information to a general enquiry.

Not sure why my background raised so much angst to some. My expertise is in Cyber Security not battery design and operation. My query was intended to get an understanding if anyone else had used a battery such as mine, not to raise anyone's blood pressure.

I have recently retired and am looking for a way to pass time.

73s

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 10:49:57 AM »

used a battery such as mine,

And, "mine" is a what?  I've had lithiums test at 10% over and 10% of rated capacity depending on the source.  The application matters too, as the voltage between full and dead and specific chemistry may give you a voltage that's mostly at, or mostly not usable for some equipment.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 09:19:34 PM »

Got to view one  of those batteries today.  Read the speck sheet and it is VERY impressive!  No more long jumper cables and risk of blowing a car on-board computer!

KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 10:14:43 AM »

Thank you to all that took the time to reply to my post. For the most part, very helpful information to a general enquiry.
/quote

The only question I cared about what Who made the  jumper thing and where can it be purchased?

>>>a 12 V 15,000 mah Lithium-ion Battery Charger/Power Pack<<<<

I found several and they ranged from sketchy (cheap) to maybe a seriously good item (not cheap).

So to answer you question depending on which one, the quality of the unit has a determination
as to how it may work.  It has potential to be very good if the specs are real.

The Yabut... There are vendors selling 18650 cells "4400MAH" turns out the only way that can be true
for the two of them in the pack in parallel.  Why neither tested at more than 2200mah!  The package
didn't lie as I did get 4400mah of power, just not per cell, as implied.

Its why everyone was asking what unit? 

Allison
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: