The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MYSTERY AMPLIFIER CABINET--ANYONE RECOGNIZE IT?  (Read 1214 times)
N6QWP

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2018, 03:15:34 PM »

Thought perhaps listing this here in Amplifiers, I might find someone to recognize what amplifier my "swapmeet find" is from.  I mistakenly listed under Boat Anchors, but am not getting much response.  Hoping that here, it will spark someone's memory.

It is very similar to the Collins 30L-1 cabinet, EXCEPT that the front side edges of the cabinet "slope downward and in" about 1" from top to bottom.

The 30L-1 just about fits....but the front panel doesn't quite make it inside the lower edge by about 1/8".  It does fit inside the top edge of the cabinet by about 3/4".  It has an opening top, like the Collins cabinet....and is a similar gray.

There is a similar long narrow rectangular access opening along the bottom of the rear panel.  There is lettering and numbering on top of this opening, which read as follows:

1000 VOLT FUSE ON FRONT
                                                                                                            REMOTE
                                                                                     1000V
                                                                                       150V 216V      6.3  6.3 V
                                             12V FUSE ON FRONT            450V
                    AC NO FUSE              12VDC  REG

Other than these identifying printings on the back....and the sloping front side edges of the cabinet, it is extremely close to the Collins 30L-1 cabinet.

I am going to use it on a 30L-1 project, but would love to know what this cabinet came from, so that I might figure out how they made the front panel fit flush along the bottom edge.

I apologize for the redundant listing.....should have listed here from the beginning.  Tnx es 73

I have searched pics of Hunter and Heathkit, but they all have vertical front side edges like Collins.

The sloping front edges and the identifying markings (for voltages and fuses) on rear are what should make this stand out in someone's memory, who might have run across one of these in the past???

PS-I am just looking at the markings on rear and wondering why no markings for input, output, alc, etc?  All of those are accessable from the opening, however.  The mystery continues.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:34:27 PM by N6QWP » Logged
KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 04:03:27 PM »

Take a photo of the amplifier, upload it to https://imgbb.com/ and then post the picture here. It will speak a thousand words. eHam is a great site but they should move outta the stone age regarding how photos are posted. If QRZ can do it.................. Huh    

Tom KC0W
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 05:43:29 PM »

************THANX TO WA5VGO FOR THE ANSWER!*************

KMB CO-1 CABINET FROM THE 60'S FOR HOMEBREW

STILL MADE
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 05:48:47 PM by N6QWP » Logged
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 06:13:43 PM »

Still trying to solve the mystery of how this particular model, with the sloping front edges, can be mated up with a panel so that the lower edge (which does NOT fit inside the enclosure) does not appear to be "unfinished".

I am thinking of using some type of split plastic tubing to cover the lower edge of the panel.  Somewhat crude idea.....there must be a better way???
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 06:49:15 PM »

Turns out that the cabinet is actually a "fit" for the Collins S-line and 30L-1.  It didn't fit because it previously must have been dropped, and there is a small bit of distortion on one side.  It was not noticeable to the unaccustomed eye, so I didn't notice that the panel would fit....if the cabinet were true and straight.

Finally forced it inside using a knife blade and extreme pressure, past the area that was not letting it fit.  I now see that these cabinets were a perfect fit for the Collins S-line and 30L-1....along with other "clones" and homebrew projects.

Will be searching for some BIG C-clamps to nudge the distortions back to where the panel will fit more easily.  

When "The Project" is eventually finished, I will spray paint the cabinet to bring it back....and cover up where the scratches are due to the "too tight" fit.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 06:52:22 PM by N6QWP » Logged
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 07:36:22 PM »

For accuracy, the cabinet turned out to be "LMC CO-1.  I inadvertently mistyped KMC
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 02:41:27 AM »

Instead of big C-clamps, bar clamps are lighter and come in very long lengths. And probably cheaper too depending on the make. I have pulled together a lot of sheet metal over the years using them. And of course, wood too. Just an idea...

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 07:39:03 AM »

For accuracy, the cabinet turned out to be "LMC CO-1.  I inadvertently mistyped KMC

It was already accurately ID'ed on your other post on Boat Anchors as a LMB-Heeger CO-1. Currently $244.89 and I sold them from 1985-92 for $77.42 Grin Roll Eyes as a popular antenna tuner and small amp cabinet.
https://lmbheeger.com/hingedtopcabinet.aspx

Carl
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 08:42:54 AM »

Thanx Stanley--I can see where the bar clamps should be easier to use also.

Thanx Carl--I was just tidying up this thread after noticing my typo in it earlier.  Wish you still had a couple of these cabinets for that price.

***If anyone has an old 30L-1 chassis for parts, I still am looking for some of the metal work***
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:58:26 AM by N6QWP » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: