The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF Radios on AM  (Read 3609 times)
K6RQR

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2018, 07:12:42 AM »

I had an Icom 735 about 7 years ago and I used the little gadget recommended by W8JI which inserts a small negative voltage into the ALC jack. You can find details by Googling it. At that time it worked very well and I got good comments on the audio. However, years later I bought another one and used the same gadget and I could not get the same results. My current rig is of the same vintage. It's a Kenwood TS-450S and I regularly check into an AM group and have been told that my signal looks good on someone's monitor scope and that it also sounds good. I adjust the carrier level control for about 40 watts and set the mike level at about 10 o'clock and it works fine. The 450S also has robust output transistors. It never overheats even on AM transmissions that last up to 10 minutes. I have been very pleased with this older rig.

Bruce  K6RQR
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2018, 04:59:35 PM »

That can be as simple of a 20-50K pot and a 9V battery and that idea has been around for several decades. One end of the pot to 9V and the other to ground with the bias off the wiper. Battery life is about the same as shelf life at least for the older ones....new ones live a lot longer doing nothing.

Carl
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: