The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham radio shied to link Arduino weather station to classroom  (Read 15486 times)
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 03:27:08 AM »

I am assuming from your response that you wish to use amateur radio as a teaching tool.  What detail are you looking for?  Hardware choices? Code? Huh

The radio is more of the means than the ends. What I want to do is get the information from the weather station to the classroom. I was simply trying to give amateur radio a fair hearing.

I think the best way, considering network policies, is to use a hobby band instead.

The way it looks is that I will keep sending in for a particular science grant and go with commercial gear. I only missed the grant this year because I missed the deadline.

The trouble with a "Maker" solution is that I have to be able to guarantee that it will work as specified with no tinkering. I also will not be permitted to install it. The installation will be done by the maintenance department. The result of that is that there is no working out an optimal position. It will go where maintenance wants to put it. All of this makes a "maker" solution a poor choice.

A bit of a shame, I wanted to involve the students a bit more; but that won't work. The unit I am now looking at uses a hobby band and allows multiple heads. Multiple heads will allow a head to be in the science classrooms and in my classroom. It is a better fit; there is just less "learning."

In the meantime you could always go the maker route and do environmental monitoring within the classroom. Temp, Humidity, Light, CO2, Dust, etc etc, there are a ton of modules you can hack up together in this fashion that do not require the maintenance department to install or permission to use the web. For the price, you could have 10 sets of these and have the students put them together and then compare data etc.
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 06:11:11 PM »

Argent Data sells an APRS Radio shield. This would allow you to put the weather station in a location that is "remote" from the classroom
and interface it to a 2m rig to report its data via APRS. That data could then be accessed via a webpage from within the classroom or elsewhere.

http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Radio_Shield

Cheers

Michael VE3WMB
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: