The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CLEANING UP THE FRONT PANEL OF A 30L-1 AMP (NEEDS SPRAYING)  (Read 1010 times)
N6QWP

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2018, 04:47:56 PM »

Would appreciate tips from OT's on respraying the front panel of Collins 30L-1.  The little "plates" with the numbers and lettering are fine, but the rest of the panel needs a fresh paint job.

Any tips on masking the areas that have the printing?  The rounded corners are what have me stymied.  Just use blue painters tape and do as good as one can?

Another issue is where the military decal was on the panel.  It has long since been removed, but the brown residue from the hardened glue remains.  Any hints on removing it without removing or affecting the crinkle finish?

As always, many thanx for all input.  Tnx es 73
WD8AJY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 01:23:56 PM »

i have repainted 30L-1 front panels i mask off the the panel with the lettering the spray the rest of the panel. If you can see bare metal you may want to prime it. Goo gone may remove the glue. the crinkle
finish is in the metal not the paint. I get the paint from surplus sales of  Nebraska #250. Good lick Bob WD8AJY   
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 01:44:15 PM »

Thanx Bob--my consternation comes from doing a "close to perfect?" job going around the corners while getting the tape to stick as it is scrunched around there.

Did you lay the tape flat and use something like a razor knife to cut around the corners?....Or just try turning the tape as you go around?  

I'm referring to the corners around the three Meter, Band and On/Off escutchions.

Also wondering what you might have used to prep the rest of the panel prior to spraying.

I did get some paint from Surplus Sales....and I will try Goo Gone.  Thanx es 73

Anyone else care to offer ideas?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:50:15 PM by N6QWP » Logged
WD8AJY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 04:31:44 PM »

Use a decreaser to clean the panel then lay the tape flat and used a razor knife to cut around the corners and edges.  the crinkle
finish is in the metal not the paint so don't worry about taking some paint off. when you finish painting let it dry for 1-2 hours then remove the tape will the paint is still soft. 73 Bob WD8AJY
 I
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 05:38:40 PM »

Thanx again Bob....are you using blue or green painters tape?  Care to let on which degreaser worked best for you?  Did it require flushing with water?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 05:41:02 PM by N6QWP » Logged
WD8AJY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 06:50:27 AM »

i used blue tape. i have used alcohol, simple green or acetone. acetone works best but use it outside. 73 WD8AJY
N4MQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 05:42:03 PM »

To make soft corners you can use a hole punch on the tape to make "corners" and them tape up to them.  Trying to cut a radius is tough and Id not do it on the panel.  Cut the tape or punch it then when HAPPY transfer it to the panel.  You can get better consistency and not little threads that mess up the painting edges.

Wrinkle paint if that is what your using needs several WET coats and the application of a heat lamp to insure complete and uniform wrinkle.  I have not seen wrinkle IN the metal on any panels and have been doing wrinkle since my mom caught me using her 200 degree OVEN in grade school.  Enjoy, WOody
N4MQ
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 07:10:43 PM »

Good idea, Woody--I'll see what I can come up with to do that.  It seems (from earlier input), that the "crinkle?" finish is already on the panel....hopefully, making it much easier to get a good sprayed result.  Tnx es 73
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 07:16:38 PM by N6QWP » Logged
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 10:08:18 AM »

Put the painters tape on wax paper to make the punched out circles.  Now you can peel the tape off the backing like a stick on.  Alternatively, use some of the carrier tape from some other peel off product as the carrier for your punched out dots.
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 01:44:14 PM »

Great idea!  I was tying to figure out how to get a clean cut and remove the tape without fudging it up.  Tnx
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: