The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC blacklist radios  (Read 2300 times)
W5TD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 08:56:26 PM »

Heck, the Yaesu FT101 and FT101B have 11 meters on the bandswitch?  And they transmit there!  Some radios like the Yaesu FT757 just took flipping a switch to transmit anywhere, including 11 meters.  On the Yaesu FT1000MP you just change a menu item from OFF to ON and you can transmit anywhere, including 11 meters. 

Why aren't these rigs on the "blacklist?"
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 05:05:23 AM »

Now I see it. I correct my sentence.

...Thou shalt not...

ooops.

Kraus

WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 06:51:10 AM »

Of course, there is the question why a ham would want to operate on 11m....   Cheesy Grin Shocked Huh Smiley
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 07:05:31 AM »

WA2ISE says :Of course, there is the question why a ham would want to operate on 11m.... Seems to me a New Member of the W.T.T.C club . Keeping it real. Nuff Said. 10-4

Everyone Please be SAFE. Enjoy the day and Enjoy Life...73s   Nuff Said..
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 07:07:11 AM »

Of course, there is the question why a ham would want to operate on 11m....   Cheesy Grin Shocked Huh Smiley

Good joke. I truly cannot stop laughing.

Yes, be safe folks.

Kraus
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 07:09:16 AM by KC4ZGP » Logged
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 07:58:40 AM »

Of course, there is the question why a ham would want to operate on 11m....   Cheesy Grin Shocked Huh Smiley

One of life's mysteries.

Equally mysterious, why would KTN be offended by this?
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2018, 08:01:49 AM »

I had a CB for a short period, in the 90s.
Can say that I had a good laugh on a daily basis. Also had some interesting discussions.

Never once had a chuckle on the Amateur bands. Not sure if it's because everyone is cautious, or they're just boring.

For the most part, Ham bands come across as very dry. Not to mention there's rarely a female voice heard.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2018, 09:10:11 AM »

One of life's mysteries.

Why do you park in a driveway, but drive on a parkway?
Why does the porridge bird lay it eggs in the air?
Why do fools fall in love?

There are many questions in life for which there is no answer. 

Why ask why?  (The second part of that advertising slogan is no longer applicable, since the adult beverage in question appears to be no longer available)
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2018, 10:55:53 AM »

One of life's mysteries.

Because any slight, real or perceived, and Chuck thinks you're peeing in his CB cornflakes.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2018, 11:36:23 AM »

I am surprised they let people sell Drake equipment. All you need is the correct crystal and you have a nice high powered station. Oh well. Mike

Drake is FAR from alone. Collins S Line, KWM1 and 2, and just about any other rig using a crystal mixing front end will work on CB by buying a crystal.

Modern synthesized rigs often require snipping out a diode for full 1.5 to 30 MHz TX.

The FCC and Ebay simply have their heads where the sun dont shine.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2018, 11:37:49 AM »

Let me attempt to answer why a ham would use CB:

First of all I've been a ham 64 years.  I hold both Extra tickets and 1st Phone Commercial.  For over 40 years.  (Read: Before question pools and Commercial Dumb Down)

Now my answer.  

I got involved in CB for several years because I had and found a lot of friends around town to enjoy talking to!  It was casual and FUN.

Because of my background I was also able to help a lot of CB'rs and make their experience more enjoyable and well as help clean up interference and and multi-channel splatter.

I had locals to talk to going and coming from work.  (This was before 2m, which incidentally is now also pretty dead)  Because of this common ground I got to enjoy many coffee & cake get-togethers.

My wife refused to talk on my ham radio because "everyone was too serious and stiff necked."  BOORING! But she loved to talk on CB because she knew so many others and they had FUN! Her world suddenly expanded to an occasional phone call to hearing one of her friends (new and old) on the CB base rig. 

(In retrospect, one night I went to work and accidentlly left my "new" 2m rig on.  The squelch lost control of the noise and while two guys were talking between noise blasts, she politely interrupted (she had learned this on CB) and asked how "to turn this particular radio OFF.  While she got the necessary information she also got a blast of $hit for transmitting without a license!

Now let's talk about mobile CB a bit more.  We used to travel from WV to IL to see our family.  I bought a CD from ARRl that not only would plan the route from my house to my son's house but also show every 2m & 440 repeater along the way.  I spent big bucks for a "do-it-all" two band mobile transceiver and extended cables for convenient operation. I spent hours programming the transceiver for what repeaters I was planning to use to help pass the time of the trip as well as have a potential source of help if I needed it.  (Remember, no cell phones yet)

Wanna guess how many responses I received during those 750 miles and 14 hours of driving?  ONE!  Each way; one trip, TWO!  One was a woman talking to her husband on his way to work.  After she finished I called her and it was obvious from the brief conversation that they were using 2m as a "Taxi Band" and not ham radio.

After four trips like this I pulled the 2m rig and installed a CB with a mag mount antenna on the roof.  I had dozens of contacts going each direction with both fixed stations, other mobiles as well as truckers offering road conditions ahead!

Sure CB had its warts.  Look and ham radio....especially on one particular frequency on 80m and 20m.  Talk about warts!  Some can't even post here on eHam without getting all puffed up with their imaginary knowledge.

There's part of the other side of this discussion.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 11:45:49 AM by K8AXW » Logged

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2018, 11:47:01 AM »

I am surprised they let people sell Drake equipment. All you need is the correct crystal and you have a nice high powered station. Oh well. Mike

Drake is FAR from alone. Collins S Line, KWM1 and 2, and just about any other rig using a crystal mixing front end will work on CB by buying a crystal.

Modern synthesized rigs often require snipping out a diode for full 1.5 to 30 MHz TX.

The FCC and Ebay simply have their heads where the sun dont shine.
Boy that's the truth, especially the last sentence.
N0XAX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2018, 12:19:03 AM »

Again, the resident curmudgeons are splitting invisible hairs. The FCC doesn't enforce any of this crap!!! K9MHZ: Why don't you grease up one of the noses of the jets in your qrz picture. and sit on it and spin! Ham radio operators "modify" their equipment every day of the week! Engage your mind before you post that kind of caca!
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2018, 07:47:13 AM »

WO DUDE !
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: