The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Monting Boxes  (Read 825 times)
KD9FRQ

Ignore
« on: September 05, 2018, 05:56:27 PM »

I am not having any luck in finding radio mounting boxes that sit on the floor between van front seats.

I made one do not like the unprofessional look.

Any recommendations?  Looking to hold two 2m rigs (one for APRS).

Thanks in advance.

KD9FRQ
W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 06:26:44 PM »

Try this perhaps...unless I am not getting exactly what you want...

https://express.google.com/product/45073115872163687_3045419139287632203_6480675?mall=WashingtonDC&directCheckout=1&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=product_ads&utm_campaign=gsx

KD9FRQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 04:10:59 AM »

Thank you.  That would work.  I was think more sheet metal that offered a place for the external speaker.

But that link works for me.  I can make that work by having a local woodsmith make a nice base.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 05:21:41 AM »

FRQ,

The unprofessional look is the ham radio look. Embrace it. It's you.

You ought see my cloche I made for my EB-104. Copper sheets on a wooden frame.

My wife thinks it looks tacky. Thus, it's beauty. She says the same about my antennas.

Have fun.

Kraus

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 02:38:29 AM »

Sure, it can look like a hack but it doesn't have to if you don't want it to.  One way to do this is with a new/replacement center console with panels like public safety vehicles use.  But that comes at a cost, some of those consoles with accessories can cost as much or more than many ham radios.  Worth it though if you want it to work and look like something that isn't like what ZGP drives.

You didn't give any detail about just what it was you want to install or what your goals were.  Anymore I select my equipment both on function and on physical size and shape to fit the spot I want.  I usually end up fabricating my own bracketry but the end product ends up looking factory installed.  In the current vehicle I have my dual bander mounted inside the console cubby.  Close the trap door and it disappears.  Part of that bracket has some guide pins that hold a custom bracket for my HF mobile control head, keyer and paddles which pops in for trips, and leaves no trace when I'm not driving it.  Spenda bit of time sitting in the seat and thinking about what the ideal installation would look like then going backwards from there as far as radios, hardware and mounting plus the willingness to peel back a few layers of dash and trim will usually net you a really nice, custom install you can enjoy and be proud of for a long time.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 05:37:18 AM »

I thought these new radios with removable front panels were to eliminate 'all that bulky radio' in the front seat.

I guess it doesn't work.

Plan on troop.

Kraus

W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 06:09:41 AM »

Good luck with your search. You might look into "transmission hump" mounts.  I use to have one years ago for my 2 meter stuff.  They are out there but cars nowadays usually have a console of sorts.  Best to go the removable head route if possible.  Again, good luck, and hope all works out.  Let us know how you end your quest....
KD9FRQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 06:16:55 AM »

I am sorry for the lack of details.

1) I am looking for a nice mounting box to hold two 2m units that will fit over the transmission hump of my 88 Dodge D100 pickup.
2) Once sourced, I would look at options for my 2010 Chrysler Town & Country from the same company.  But I want to purchase an FTM-450 and use a Seat bolt Goose neck mount for the head.
3) Again, once sourced, I would look for a unit that will fit between the seats of most full size vans so that I can move from van to van as I support bike rides (Communications in a SAG van).

Kraus,  I get that I should embrace things but I still have an affinity for a professional install look.

Thanks again, all.  Ed, KD9FRQ "Freq" Radio
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 06:24:31 AM »

Hold on Ed.

We're ham radio guys and gals. Professionals??? Not according to the airwaves. It's horrible. One
spoutin' off ham radio is a white-man only hobby. And the Trump haters and likers are saying their
piece as well.

Anyway, does someone ride with you? The whole passenger side might be a consideration. Get one of
them swivel table thingies like cops use.

Have fun man and drive safely.

Kraus
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 06:27:01 AM by KC4ZGP » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 06:38:22 AM »

If you do a google search, you can spend the next two or three hours looking at various mobile mount options.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
VK2NZA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 08:33:18 PM »

As long as the mounting unit is structurally solid and mounts appropriately the appearance can be improved very easily by using fine carpet (not thick floor carpet) to match the vehicles interior colour or texture.

Both of my vehicles have mobile transceivers mounted in convenient locations, my Ford Pickup has a flat storage section in center of dash top, an ideal place for an IC 706 type unit, due to our high UV sun issues here in VK many use vehicle specific commercially available moulded carpet type dash mats to keep sun and glare off dash tops, its easy to use as I do cut an old mat of same colour as  trim for covering the box or even the transceiver for sun protection taking cooling of heat sink fins into account.
Adhesive vinyl  in many colours /wood-grain etc is also an option.
Lightweight Alloy is reasonably easy to cut and shape and once covered looks quite professional IMHO.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 05:59:22 AM »

"Custom" is one thing, you can do just about anything once and have it look nice.  Moving it from vehicle to vehicle is another thing, it pretty much precludes "custom" except in the respect you have to design for the lowest common denominator (size) and aesthetics become a real challenge.  One thing that comes to mind is a setup similar to what truck drivers use, a tool box with radios mounted in it.  This is more for stereo and CB equipment but the concept is the same.  Something you can carry around with a handle, plug in and you're on the air.  Depending on how much equipment you have whether it's just a small transceiver or a full blown HF/VHF/UHF setup with batteries and power supplies will dictate the size and ruggedness of the box.  My tendency would be to lean towards a toolbox or equipment case though if you're handy in a metal or woodshop you could make just about anything.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: