The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what happened to headphones with 1/4 plug?  (Read 2142 times)
NQ4T

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 03:16:10 PM »

If it's the same wire I've seen for years...it's usually enamal coated so you can have two strands without the need for jacket insulation to prevent shorting...it's just really hard stuff to solder.

I usually have to take sandpaper to it before it'll take solder...and even then it's just at the melting point of the solder.

Then again I haven't bought a pair of headphones worth repairing in the last 10 years.

And ....technically...headphones are binaural, not stereo. There *is* a difference. You can listen to stereo content...and they do reproduce stereo...but it's not "true stereo". If you've ever heard something mixed for binaural it becomes very clear.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 03:18:31 PM by NQ4T » Logged
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 06:11:47 PM »

Binaural is correct.

My headphones I've had since Christ was a corporal are simply a 2 inch speaker in each side. Silly actually but what else would work. And I've seen headphones for $200.00. Gollee!

Have fun.

Kraus

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 05:51:01 AM »

The cotton with thin copper tape wrapped around it was used on headphone leads pre WW2. In those days, they wrapped very thin wire round it and formed it and then formed the whole thing into a loop that a screw and washer could compress down. Later on, they crimped tags on. Used on some telephone handsets up until the 1960s or so I believe.
K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2018, 01:20:22 PM »

Is it impossible to find a set of decent headphones that terminate in 1/4" plugs? Everything has the 1/8" plug and the 1/4" adaptor. What's the big deal about a set with the 1/4" plug? Find me one!!!!!

Easy, peasy non-issue fix.  In fact, most headphones today are really good and lightyears better than the old 1/4" plug mono headsets of the past.  Heat up the soldering iron, and cut off the small plug.  Get a good quality metal 1/4" plug, and solder the leads to the tip and shield connections respectively.  I did this to a Sennheiser HD25-1, and works perfectly.  No, they're not 8 ohms...matters zero at these audio levels.

According to Kenwood, certain rigs they manufacture will produce a hum in the headphones with the volume turned all the way down.
They recommend using an 8 Ohm set of headphones to cure this.
F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2018, 09:50:26 AM »

I have two pair of 1920's vintage Western Electric cans...4000 ohm. The cat's pajamas in cw with my IC7200.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: