The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood Repair  (Read 1234 times)
WD4HXG

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2018, 03:26:35 PM »

Anyone know what happened to the shop
in Virginia Beach which repaired Kenwood
amateur gear? I heard it has closed and
looking on JVC-Kenwood's website the only
place listed for amateur radio repairs is
now is on the West Coast.

Any recommended alternatives?

Chuck
N3NUE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 05:28:48 AM »

Try www.k3ten.com in South Jersey. Spoke to him last year. 609-846-5190. Hope he is still around, took the time to talk with me re a Kenwood I picked up in an estate sale.

John
N3NUE
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 03:03:07 PM »

Thanks for that link.

Carl
N1UKX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 04:01:31 PM »

What model are you looking to have repaired?
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 08:22:10 AM »

TS-940 and DFC-230
VA1CQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 09:29:05 AM »

If you can't get a major Kenwood product repaired except by sending it to the west coast, then complain. To Kenwood directly. Factory repair must be made available by any reputable manufacturer somewhere in your geographic area or they are falling down. Just my opinion.
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 06:40:47 PM »

Was not aware of that change....sad.  Hopefully, KWD will at some point keep that location functional for amateurs, other then stating like others, "that product is no longer in production and we no longer support it".
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 06:19:22 AM »

Factory repair must be made available by any reputable manufacturer somewhere in your geographic area or they are falling down. Just my opinion.

And exactly HOW do you define "your geographic area"?

I'm in the NYC region ... before it closed, the Kenwood factory repair facility closest to me was in Virginia.
Not as far away as California -- but certainly nowhere near "my geographic area".

In a country as large as the United States (or Canada where you are) with the relatively TINY amateur radio market, it's just not financially practical for Kenwood --or any other company-- to maintain enough "factory service" locations to be in "the geographic area" of many of its customers.

Kenwood's "factory service center" in Virginia was a contract shop.
The fact that the shop discontinued amateur radio servicing clearly was a sign that there wasn't enough of that business to be worthwhile.

AC8DC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 09:07:45 PM »

The owner of Audio Video Service Labs (Kenwood East Repair in VA) retired and closed the business.
If I ever had to have warranty work done, I liked having a repair shop near me on the east coast. The dedicated Kenwood tech there was good.
I asked Kenwood a few weeks ago if they want to setup a new east coast repair shop, the answer was yes.

Chris
AC8DC
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 03:07:12 AM »

The owner of Audio Video Service Labs (Kenwood East Repair in VA) retired and closed the business.
If I ever had to have warranty work done, I liked having a repair shop near me on the east coast. The dedicated Kenwood tech there was good.
I asked Kenwood a few weeks ago if they want to setup a new east coast repair shop, the answer was yes.

Well they can say anything they want, regardless, if you want Kenwood Factory Service, a Ca Vendor is the only choice. They don't have a Kenwood IN HOUSE Repair Center, Vendor only.

I sent my Kenwood back for service "three" times this year and twice it got lost. First time it was sitting in their lobby and they didn't look.

Second time no problem getting there.

Third time lost for a week because Kenwood forgot to mention to me that their SERVICE VENDOR changed locations and of course addresses. Now, once their VENDOR does get your radio, they do fix it in a timely manner then send it back UPS ground, the cheapest way. They used to use Three Day Select. Money Rules and I am talking WARRANTY service here. Yes, sent it back THREE times for service on TS590SG Anniversary Edition and they refused to exchange it. I asked the very first time it needed service immediately after I purchased it, they flatly refused an exchange.

My experience with Kenwood: I owned many Kenwood radios starting with a TS520S and most work without fault as specified. If you need service, say a prayer. This will be my last Kenwood. My IC7300 has never failed me, on any level.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 03:17:38 AM by K3EY » Logged
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 07:20:23 AM »

Well they can say anything they want, regardless, if you want Kenwood Factory Service, a Ca Vendor is the only choice. They don't have a Kenwood IN HOUSE Repair Center, Vendor only.

I sent my Kenwood back for service "three" times this year and twice it got lost. First time it was sitting in their lobby and they didn't look.

Second time no problem getting there.

Third time lost for a week because Kenwood forgot to mention to me that their SERVICE VENDOR changed locations and of course addresses. Now, once their VENDOR does get your radio, they do fix it in a timely manner then send it back UPS ground, the cheapest way. They used to use Three Day Select. Money Rules and I am talking WARRANTY service here. Yes, sent it back THREE times for service on TS590SG Anniversary Edition and they refused to exchange it. I asked the very first time it needed service immediately after I purchased it, they flatly refused an exchange.

My experience with Kenwood: I owned many Kenwood radios starting with a TS520S and most work without fault as specified. If you need service, say a prayer. This will be my last Kenwood. My IC7300 has never failed me, on any level.

Received radio back pretty quick after they finally received it for repair.
I feel embarrassed saying anything but I know what was happening regardless and I’m not crazy. The radio was indeed kicking on and off. My Icom worked perfectly using exact same system. They found no fault after a thorough check. It is now working perfectly. I changed absolutely nothing in the system, Nada. Other than some paranormal event, I am at a loss.

This Kenwood has one of the better receivers I have owned and I will keep it, if or until it quits working again.

So now you heard the rest of the story, a honest story.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: