The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Needing small desk  (Read 1135 times)
KD0LAV

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2018, 01:46:03 PM »

Am rebuilding my station in a new location.  Need a desk with shelves but can only be about 36 inches wide.  Does anyone know where one might find something like this?
VE7REN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 02:40:27 PM »

staples or home depot.. they are called student desks... I see them all the time .. most stores carry them
KE5PPH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 02:52:12 PM »

IKEA for the DIY crowd. AKA Some Assembly Required.
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 08:17:42 PM »

Two small 2 drawer filing cabinets and a hollow core door (from Lowe's). Construction adhesive to hold it all together.
KC9YTJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 06:18:08 AM »

Office stores used to sell roll-away computer desks/hutches that sound like what you're looking for.  I don't think I've seen one in a store in years, though, and the ones I'm seeing now seem to be overpriced and/or high-security models.  Might check Sauder or one of the other DIY furniture companies.  IKEA has been mentioned but they wouldn't be my first choice.
KL7CW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 09:28:48 AM »

I am also relocating my shack to the living area of my house.  Since I am not yet ready to buy or build my dream layout, I will just use a desk or table without shelves above the desk surface. I will then mount strip shelving on the wall above the desk.  I will have multiple and adjustable shelves for many of my accessories, like rotator controls, SWR bridges, etc.  If the brackets are say 10 inches, I will use shelves of perhaps 8 inches.  That way I will have plenty of room to route various cables between the shelf and the wall.  Lots of choices in the box stores, and you will be surprised at the weight even the moderate heavy duty ones can handle.  I may even continue the strips down below desk level, so could mount something like a small power supply or whatever above my feet and below the desk level.  This is just an idea to think about, since I have never done this myself.  Eventually if I get a layout I really like, I might have a professional level cabinet built.  However, it is very difficult to route dozens of wires and connectors behind regular shelves and desks.  So I may just stay with my "temporary" shelves which will also have good air circulation.  I will probably never mount a heavy power supply or linear amp on this book shelf set up.  Rick  KL7CW
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 02:41:14 PM »

Lumber yard!  Easy project!   Wink
VK2LEE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 03:44:14 AM »

I have 3 shelves in a wardrobe for My Radio Shack... Just screw some 1 inch square timber on the wall where You want Your shelves... and then place the wooden shelves [pieces of 1 inch thick wood for shelves... ] My 3 shelves are about 25 inches deep the lowest one, the next one with My Radios on, about 20 inches deep and the top one with 2m radio tuner rotator controller etc on it about 15 inches deep... I used chipboard , not sure what it is called in the USA..?  I did have to place two pieces of steel angle under the 2nd shelf to hold the weight of the radios...  You can always unscrew the pieces of wood on the sides and remove it all...    cheers  Lee in the cupboard  VK2LEE

28 years as VK2LEE - The 1st 3 letter L call ever issued - in 1986 -
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: