donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help  (Read 685 times)
W0WCA

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2018, 03:51:38 PM »

I am wondering how much internet space (bandwidth?) is and has been taken up by themselves who don’t/cant/won’t read the manual.
Well, here is a helpful tip: almost all manuals are available on line.  Oneself can download said manual and then hold down the Ctrl key and strike the “F” key.  Now, in the space provided type in a “keyword” that speaks to your question/problem.  You will be astounded at the information that they hide in those manuals. (Come to think about it, you don’t even need to download).
If the above fails you, then Google might be your friend ‘cause dollars to donuts your problem is not unique.  If after you have tried to hep yourself, but to no avail, then, ask away.  We will be more than willing to help you think about your problem!
KK4FGF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 05:22:32 PM »

I thought real Hams don't read manuals?  Wink
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 06:58:11 AM »

I am wondering how much internet space (bandwidth?) is and has been taken up by themselves who don’t/cant/won’t read the manual.

I use this as a fine opportunity to troll people.  Like when someone complains that they can't hit a repeater 35 miles away using a handy-scratchy with an antenna that's barely better than a dummy load.  "Have you tried adjusting the squelch setting?"
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 11:44:54 AM »

I thought real Hams don't read manuals?  Wink

Real hams don't read manuals.  They come to eHam and ask the question(s) on their minds.   Roll Eyes

WCA:  Your suggestion falls under the category of RESEARCH.  Real hams don't do that either.

I'd like to seriously make a point here that just might help someone:

Quite often one becomes overwhelmed when the operating manual of 75-150 pages is removed from the box.  Understand this: IT ISN'T NECESSARY TO READ THE WHOLE DAMNED MANUAL! 

Ask yourself the question.....what do I want to do?  Plug it in...turn it on.....set the band of interest.....just go to that page (listed in the table of contents) and find your answer.

As you progress with your new toy, more questions come up.  Repeat the above procedure.  First thing you know, you'll be able to operate your new toy like a pro!

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 08:23:21 AM »

Is this really that big of an issue?  

For all of the new rigs, with their menus and other uniqueness/idiosyncrasies, I see very little "help me" posts relative to a rig's normal ops.  Those who do post seem to need help with things that are more esoteric.

Mileages, I guess.  
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 10:22:09 AM »

Ain't nobody got time for that.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 12:01:04 PM »

Ain't nobody got time for that.

It sure seems like that.  I've spent probably an hour of my time trying to help someone on a Facebook page set up his radio in a configuration similar to my own, including going out and testing connections on my own radio in my vehicle.

When I set mine up, I did my own research, purchased the proper accessories, and built my own switching box, all without any help from forums or the internet.  People today are just lazy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: