The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is old but  (Read 2189 times)
K1VSK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2018, 08:34:31 AM »

Here's my story.   I bought into an HOA controlled neighborhood in 1999.   One board member stored a boat in her drive way.  That is a violation of the CC&R's.   

Living in a CC&R controlled area wasn't a consideration when I bought the home.  I wanted the home and at first I was happy that there were 'rules' 

At one point I had 12-70 ft firs in my yard. One fell on the house during a huge wind storm so I had them all taken out. (I wish I had left at least 2 now). 

After I got my ham tickets a few years ago,  I played with dipoles on 10 and 20 meters.  I like to experiment with different home brew antennas.  I bought an antenna anaylizer for that purpose.

So, with the old HR 1301 being talked about a few years ago, I decided to do the proper thing and submit a request to the board to put up a modest vertical. 

Their first response was that if I asked my neighbors how they felt and if no one objected, then they wouldn't care. 

SO, I got all my neighbors approval and turned that info into the board. 

Then the board decided that, no they cant allow my request. However, they did say that if and when HR 1301 were to pass, then they would have no issue with my request. 

I have read the CC&R's from front to back,  and I see violations every day. i.e  foot long grass in lawns, boats in driveways, etc.  Yet this board doesn't seem to want to upset anyone and address the violations. 

Not being able to have a decent antenna has but a huge dent in my wanting to get on the air. 

I have a stand of smaller trees in one corner of my lot and it would probably be tall enough to hide a vertical. Maybe I'll do it and see what happens...LOL.

This is a perfect example of the -be careful what you ask for... cliche.

The most recent failed iteration of ARPA would have required your HOA to write prescriptive rules regarding antenna installation, design and placement as well as a requirement that you seek and obtain prior approval before installation. Nothing would have required your HOA to approve anything.

So, your current situation certainly seems preferable given the lax enforcement you describe. There are a myriad ways to have an effective antenna using existing structures plus it appears you might 'get away' with things which don't.
K3LI

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 04:47:15 PM »

Do like pet owners.  Claim your 1/2 wave tribander is your "service" device.  The only way you can combat your PTSD and you will be horribly traumatized and unable to lead a normal life without it.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: