The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this a Globe King? CL find Balti area.  (Read 1431 times)
AD8CC

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2018, 10:30:56 AM »

Some friend  forwarded me this ad from craigslist, north of Baltimore, near the PA line,  someone cleaning out a late father's garage, and this was there.  Looks like a homebrew Globe King or other similar. 

Looks really nice, but I had absolutely no use for it, so I told the person via email that I would pass it on to other amateurs to see if anyone wanted to restore it for AM or whatever. 

If this is the wrong section sorry.  It's not my radio, just a classified I found online am and sharing as a gesture.

Sean AD8CC

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/ele/d/ham-radio-transmitters-and/6710377909.html
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 10:44:41 AM »

Too nice for one of those and sure looks well built. What is inside?

Carl
AD8CC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 10:49:22 AM »

I have no idea.  But he(she?) was responsive and took a lot more photos when I emailed about it, and put those photos on the ad there. 

Though I doubt they would want to take a screwdriver and start opening it up.

It did look like a nice piece of work, and I was tempted to drive out there and snatch it up, but then I realized that was the hoarder in me Smiley  and I would likely never use it and instead scavenge it for parts, which didn't seem very kind to whatver SK built it originally.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 12:19:17 PM »

It's homebrew. Design may be unique. Uses some parts of surplus origin (BC-191/375).

Not similar to any published design I know.

If you like the prospect of tracing out every circuit out, reverse engineering and figuring out how it works, with no documentation, it's the project for you.

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 12:33:25 PM »

It is certainly an oldie based on the National knobs, WW2 surplus rotary inductor and plate tuning vernier. Id say ~1950-60 range the latest. It does cover 160-10 which was unusual for most homebrew of the era.

The 300 ma plate current max, 2000 VDC plate voltage max, and the 200W power meter says it isnt high power and maybe a single 813/4-125A at best.

CW only and the outboard VFO is missing as is the receiver and other things. If it included AM it would be a nice project if the price is right.

Carl
Ham since 1955
AD8CC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 01:14:38 PM »

If it's CW only, then why is there a microphone clip on the side of the case? 

My theory: the last guy to fire this thing up tried to use it as an external PA for a ...different... radio, which was probably sitting on the top empty shelf of the rack. 

There's a lot of careful, neat construction underneath... and then a lot of newer, more haphazard wiring slapped on top of it in the rack case which feels like the work of 2 different people with some newer skinny coax with bnc connector, a newer wired relay... 

There's a 1993 League handbook mixed in with 1950's texts... There's also the fact that they had this ad labeled as just 'an amplifier" until I told them what it actually was.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 01:38:55 PM »

If it's CW only, then why is there a microphone clip on the side of the case? 

It could be that there is some sort of screen, clamp-tube or grid modulator in the rig.

My theory: the last guy to fire this thing up tried to use it as an external PA for a ...different... radio, which was probably sitting on the top empty shelf of the rack. 

Quite possible. Bypass the low-level stages and run just the final as an amplifier.

There's a lot of careful, neat construction underneath... and then a lot of newer, more haphazard wiring slapped on top of it in the rack case which feels like the work of 2 different people with some newer skinny coax with bnc connector, a newer wired relay... 

There's a 1993 League handbook mixed in with 1950's texts... There's also the fact that they had this ad labeled as just 'an amplifier" until I told them what it actually was.

Your theory is quite plausible. Note how different the construction of the top brackets are.

So there are two possible paths for the buyer:

1) Buy it for the parts and don't worry about what it used to be.

2) Buy it and crawl through each chassis and circuit, and restore it to some purpose or other.

73 de Jim, N2EY
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 01:40:16 PM »

He may have had a receiver or something in the top of the rack. The transmitter looks complete (not just an amplifier) as it contains a crystal/VFO selection switch (indicating that the low level RF stages are present). I wouldn't take the presence of a microphone clip on the side of the case to be an indication that it has voice capability. The microphone clip could be a convenient spot to hang a mike for another transceiver. Most hams used desk mikes with a large rig like that.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
AD8CC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 03:22:16 PM »

The more I look at the pictures, the easier it is for me to imagine someone buying a piece of old amateur gear, and hacking into the PA stage to make his own 11 meter "Outlaw Base Stayshun" risking electrocution and prosecution for the sake of a couple hundred watts.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 03:59:04 PM »

I agree with Bob about the mike clip as there is no place I can see for connecting to the TX.

There is a phone jack and some cable that looks like RG-58 on the other side panel along with a relay which might have been for keying or select the VFO....RTTY anyone?

I cant seem to be able to magnify some of the back markings which would have helped.

I dont see a separate final bandswitch which may be driven internally or a multiband type of tank used; sort of a takeoff on the National MB-150; there are several unmarked SO-239's on the rear top of the cabinet.

Without knowing and seeing a lot more Id call it a pass, especially at that price.

Carl
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 04:09:27 PM by KM1H » Logged
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 05:28:16 PM »

Best guess on the three chassis is exiter / speech amplifier & modulator / power supply.  That's a (very) old school way of building a transmitter, and judging by the three empty holes in the bottom chassis it appears to be in need of a flux capacitor.

I vote for 'pass' as well, unless the OP has too much spare time and disposable income.

But, now that I think about it, if a flux capacitor can be found at reasonable cost the time thing becomes irrelevant.   Cool

KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 05:38:24 PM »

Best guess on the three chassis is exiter / speech amplifier & modulator / power supply.

Bad guess I believe as the two lower units are both power supplies the old school over size and overkill way.
AD8CC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 06:07:31 PM »

It was the huge size of the power supply racks that led me to look closer at it, when the original ad claimed that it was an amplifier.  There were just two very blurry pictures at first, but the power supply seemed to take up two thirds of the rack space.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 07:27:54 PM »

Nice build job from bits and pieces of just about everything.
The holes in the chassis my mean that it has been cannibalized or maybe the original unneeded hole in a recycled chassis?

KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 05:39:27 PM »

You can also see some HB brackets above the TX where something smaller could slide into...based on its quality it was likely added later.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: