The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: /off topic ftdx 5000mp v ic7610 which would you choose for serious dxing  (Read 1483 times)
VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2018, 02:17:22 PM »

thanks marvin one transceiver will be going from my group my ftdx 1200. re antenna's im at my limit size and height wise  suburban block 55' wide my 6m beam has a  9m long boom my hf  6.5m it has been 8.25 need to reduce beam lengths to fit more antenna's , warc antenna due to wind loading on tower 20,15 and 10 i have great country counts nearly double dxcc on all but 10m is special to me. my noise floor is not great has got much worse as new houses have been built around me. so need better filtering. i was like you guys i have always bought low to middle range radios the elad had great rx and filtering but the software was a pita for me the 7300 is ok but really need the dual rx to nail the split . i have got an amp not a big one and its doing its job with a big difference al 811 400 watt limit here will get a bigger one one day also the  200w tx will help on 6m without need for another amp Cheesy. i have interests in  2/70cm which i have shelved for the time being. and too boot our high band season is very very late this year.................
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2018, 02:34:41 PM »

re antenna's im at my limit size and height wise

Steve, then by no means go for it. Buy the very best. If you feel K3s is the best, but it has no support in your country, I would still take the chance and buy it anyway.  Grin

Marvin VE3VEE
VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2018, 05:46:15 PM »

ok marvin but the k3 new is out of my budget due to teh state of the aussie dollar quick question does the ftdx 5000 have an on board tuner as standard i cant find anything in the specs

W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2018, 06:07:53 PM »

I believe it does have a built-in tuner (at least one model does; not sure about all of them).

If your antenna system is maxed out and you have legal-limit power for your country, then the radio should be the best you can get. In case you weren't aware, the FTDX-5000 series was discontinued a few years ago. Not sure if that will be an issue for you down the road in terms of repairs, should that become necessary.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2018, 07:06:22 AM »

In case you weren't aware, the FTDX-5000 series was discontinued a few years ago.

Most definitely is not discontinued. I know of many buyers just in the past year (many of them buying their 2nd FTDX5000 they liked the first so much).

But Yaesu hasn't been discussing the future of the FTDX5000 much. Other than ongoing, neverending OLED replacement negotiations that every FTDX5000 owner knows about!
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 07:10:57 AM »

ok marvin but the k3 new is out of my budget due to teh state of the aussie dollar quick question does the ftdx 5000 have an on board tuner as standard i cant find anything in the specs

Page 72 of the FTDX5000 manual.

See, that's the thing, everything that's an option for any other radio, it comes standard on the base FTDX5000. So in an interweb search you don't find endless discussions about the options.

As to budget, if you are looking for a new rig with dual receivers and all the filters, here in the US the base FTDX5000 is a lot cheaper than a K3 after you've added all those options.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 07:22:46 AM by N3QE » Logged
VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2018, 03:23:08 PM »

As to budget, if you are looking for a new rig with dual receivers and all the filters, here in the US the base FTDX5000 is a lot cheaper than a K3 after you've added all those options.
same here but even more pronounced this is like a see saw but keeps coming back to the ftdx 5000
thanks re the tuner in the basic brochure its not mentioned yaesu have great tuners built into their radios if it wont tune your wires go back and do more work on your wires.
anyway just made the decision  FTDX 5000 leaving soon to pick it up

VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2018, 02:33:28 AM »

thanks every one for the comments it was a big help. Radio is plugged in all i can say is WOW i also got the station monitor sm 5000 if you are going to do a job do it properly
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: