The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APRS with a TM-D710GA  (Read 2103 times)
KE8FWJ

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2018, 09:55:59 AM »

Was very excited to go pick an APRS-able dual bander at the local store this past Saturday. Although couldn't get a clear answer as to whether the TM-D710GA can be interfaced to an Android or tablet. Similar to what the Mobillinkd brings to an HT.

Before I go dropping a good $570 on a radio  Grin

Want to build the TM-D710GA into a small go-kit to use when out cycling across Arizona and on the passenger seat when in the car and even from home.

Instead bought a 2m mobile monobander (FT-2980) Roll Eyes. Is there any way to interface a TM-D710GA to an Android or even a tablet? Perhaps if not possible then what mobile dual band solutions are there?

Thanks in advance Smiley

Victor   Undecided Undecided Undecided
WD9EWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 12:07:29 PM »

Was very excited to go pick an APRS-able dual bander at the local store this past Saturday. Although couldn't get a clear answer as to whether the TM-D710GA can be interfaced to an Android or tablet. Similar to what the Mobillinkd brings to an HT.

You can get the PC interface cable for that radio, and then you would need to get a serial-to-USB adapter, and then confirm if the Android device supports USB On-The-Go, along with the app you want to use on that device. Not all Android devices do that, so you'll need to check the documentation on that device. The TM-D710GA doesn't have a USB interface, nor does it have Bluetooth. You might find the In-Depth Manual for the TM-D710GA a useful read, to see if this helps answer your questions before buying the radio:

http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/pdf/TM-D710A_E_GA_GE_IDM.pdf

The Kenwood TH-D74A tri-band HT also does APRS, and can work with software on computers and other devices that support the KISS mode. The TH-D74A has a USB interface (micro-USB socket on the radio), as well as Bluetooth. Unless you need more than 5W transmit power, it may be easier to interface a program or app on an Android device with a TH-D74A via Bluetooth. The TH-D74A also has an In-Depth Manual from Kenwood, focusing a lot on the APRS functionality in the radio:

http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/pdf/TH-D74AE_IDM.pdf

The TH-D72A HT also has a USB interface, with a mini-USB socket on the radio, but doesn't come with Bluetooth. Like with the TM-D710GA and TH-D74A, Kenwood has an In-Depth Manual for the TH-D72A including more about APRS with this radio:

http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/pdf/TH-D72AE_IDM.pdf

For USB interfaces, you'll need to have an Android device supporting USB On-The-Go, and the appropriate adapter for the device that allows you to connect to other devices, and not just a computer.

What program/app do you want to use on that Android device? What device (make/model, Android OS version)?

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/ - Twitter: @WD9EWK or http://twitter.com/WD9EWK
KE8FWJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 07:54:18 PM »

Thank you Patrick, did find your write up of the TH-D74 very interesting and thorough on QRZ. Was kinda waiting for a TM-D710GA review write up Smiley

Although can understand why you Space guys prefer the QRP and lightweight options. It's certainly very enticing to try and otherwise well explained.

Although my APRS use is more earth bound and the QRO aspect a necessity.

Will read the in depth manual. The TM-D710GA indeed doesn't have an obvious and easy way to get all it's features and functions on a tablet or Android.

I'm open to using whatever tablet, app or Android that works. Have not invested in anything yet.

Have been very impressed at what mobilinkd can offer with it's app and TNC.

Did walk away with a Yaesu FT-2980R which will serve as my voice HT Smiley Want to use the TM-D710GA (or any APRS dualbander) for the APRS & messaging.  

Edited to add: Noted you are living in Scottsdale, AZ. Have been up The Cholla 3 times and am toying with the idea of simply "forgetting" a cheap & cheerful Chinese crossbander hidden amongst the shrubbery up top.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes May then "remember" to retrieve it a weekend or 2 later..... Grin

YOLO and all that!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:08:05 PM by KE8FWJ » Logged
WD9EWK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 08:36:17 AM »

Thank you Patrick, did find your write up of the TH-D74 very interesting and thorough on QRZ. Was kinda waiting for a TM-D710GA review write up Smiley

Thanks!

I have a TM-D710GA, but haven't done a lot with it. Nice radio, but out in the field for packet the HTs are more convenient.

Will read the in depth manual. The TM-D710GA indeed doesn't have an obvious and easy way to get all it's features and functions on a tablet or Android.

I'm open to using whatever tablet, app or Android that works. Have not invested in anything yet.

The main drawback to the TM-D710GA is its only method of interfacing with a computer etc. is a serial cable. Kenwood didn't go back and replace that with USB, or add USB along with the serial port. The serial cable, USB-to-serial adapter, and USB On-The-Go adapter for the Android device may work with some Android devices and apps. I looked at that as an option years ago, and went instead with a small Windows tablet for use with radios or SDR receivers. The Windows tablets had the full Windows desktop operating system (8.1 in the past, 10 now), and I had a wider selection of software compared to going Android. Most radio-related Windows software wasn't designed for use with a touch screen, so I keep a Bluetooth mouse with the tablet. I could get by with the on-screen keyboard, but for some programs a mouse was much easier than trying to press on the right spots for some programs.

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/ - Twitter: @WD9EWK or http://twitter.com/WD9EWK
K8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 10:20:30 AM »

I own a d710ga, best rig I ever owned. I'm on APRS.  Grin
KD4UPL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 07:24:29 PM »

While I'm sure the Kenwood 710 is a great all-in-one APRS radio it doesn't sound like the way you want to do. You don't seem to want all-in-one, you want to use a tablet. If that's the case then basically any 2m mobile will work when connected to a TNC like the Mobilinkd or something else. If you're going to use the tablet then it will have a GPS, display screen, keypad, etc. that makes those functions built into the Kenwood redundant.
I have a Mobilinkd and several cables. I use it with my Yaesu Ft-530 HT as well as my Yasesu FT-7800 mobile and an Icom 2720 mobile. Both mobiles have the 6 pin DIN connector that makes the TNC plug-n-play. I use my smartphone for the screen, GPS, keypad, etc. No need for a fancy APRS radio.
I also have a Yaesu FTM-400XDR. It has APRS built in vary similar to the Kenwood. It also has a touch screen. So, when sending text messages you can type them in on the color touch screen much like on a smartphone. With the Kenwood you have to use the DTMF pad to enter the text. It's a lot more tedious and time consuming. The Yaesu (as well as the Kenwood I think) will output data to a tablet with a cable if you want mapping.
KN4DQE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 07:54:05 AM »

I honestly wish Kenwood would come out with a mobile version of the TH-D74! It would make things like this much much easier! I'd love to be able to connect my radio to either an Android device or windows pc and use Winlink or other program to send emails.  The D710 has a TNC built in, but as others have said there is no Bluetooth or easy pc connectivity....ugh.
KE8FWJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 09:21:43 PM »

While I'm sure the Kenwood 710 is a great all-in-one APRS radio it doesn't sound like the way you want to do. You don't seem to want all-in-one, you want to use a tablet. If that's the case then basically any 2m mobile will work when connected to a TNC like the Mobilinkd or something else. If you're going to use the tablet then it will have a GPS, display screen, keypad, etc. that makes those functions built into the Kenwood redundant.
I have a Mobilinkd and several cables. I use it with my Yaesu Ft-530 HT as well as my Yasesu FT-7800 mobile and an Icom 2720 mobile. Both mobiles have the 6 pin DIN connector that makes the TNC plug-n-play. I use my smartphone for the screen, GPS, keypad, etc. No need for a fancy APRS radio.

Have relegated a 80Watt Yaesu 2m (with tablet & Mobilinkd) for APRS duties. In the process of configuring the Yaesu into an "HT" with LiFE batteries/antenna/carrymount. Was hoping to have dual band APRS, although this will do.

I honestly wish Kenwood would come out with a mobile version of the TH-D74! It would make things like this much much easier! I'd love to be able to connect my radio to either an Android device or windows pc and use Winlink or other program to send emails.  The D710 has a TNC built in, but as others have said there is no Bluetooth or easy pc connectivity....ugh.

Indeed, many satellite communicators are enthusiastic about the TH-74. I'd rather also have a TH-74 but with QRO output levels.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: