The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New building at Hamvention is a no-go  (Read 5771 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2018, 03:24:15 AM »

So only JX knows the truth. You heard it here folks. Everyone else knows nothing. He says so...LOL

Unlike the non resident expert FIB who is pretty clueless but claims otherwise I live here and here local grapevine and even comments in daily news from time to time and have even been involved with DARA shows in past too and know their game well. I have nothing to gain telling stories but other have and when truth tastes bad they make up their own just like politics.

The irony is with money DARA spent on HARA and the fortune they spent on DARA compound they could of taken a different path years ago and bought a abandoned facility and moved club house there and hosted hamfest too in one spot. DARA wants to believe that facilities they do not own should pattern their life around them, guess again. Once again just look at money they have spent on their compound, it tops 7 figures now vs the peanuts they spend on what they sell as worlds greatest hamfest (what a joke) 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2018, 07:43:41 AM »

So only JX knows the truth. You heard it here folks. Everyone else knows nothing. He says so...LOL

The irony is with money DARA spent on HARA and the fortune they spent on DARA compound they could of taken a different path years ago and bought a abandoned facility and moved club house there and hosted hamfest too in one spot. DARA wants to believe that facilities they do not own should pattern their life around them, guess again. Once again just look at money they have spent on their compound, it tops 7 figures now vs the peanuts they spend on what they sell as worlds greatest hamfest (what a joke) 

By chance, do you have a photo to share of the DARA "Taj Mahal"?  It might help prove your point.  Also, I seem to recall reading about some three and four-figure "awards" being presented to DARA members for "jobs well done."  Part of their 501.c.3 filing, if my memory is correct.

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2018, 08:31:43 AM »

Unlike the non resident expert FIB who is pretty clueless but claims otherwise I live here and here local grapevine and even comments in daily news from time to time and have even been involved with DARA shows in past too and know their game well. I have nothing to gain telling stories but other have and when truth tastes bad they make up their own just like politics.

You just proved my point. Thank you.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2018, 10:57:32 AM »

It might not matter much longer.  The way Orlando is gaining ridership every year they should surpass Dayton soon. 
Art
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2018, 03:39:21 PM »

By chance, do you have a photo to share of the DARA "Taj Mahal"?  It might help prove your point.  Also, I seem to recall reading about some three and four-figure "awards" being presented to DARA members for "jobs well done."  Part of their 501.c.3 filing, if my memory is correct.

Photo? Probably not since he was kicked out years ago, and I'm sure they've upgraded the bowling alley, Olympic pool and gaming room. 
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2018, 04:44:16 PM »

hardly a Taj Mahal.  But 40+ years of evolution has made it nice.

The DARA club station W8BI was an old converted microwave TR shack.  They have added a lot to it over the years, and that's good.   http://www.w8bi.org/index.php/faq

Any ARC that can organize a hamfest and make money from it, and keep it alive all these years, deserves to be commended.  And the money they made was used to put their new club station on the air.  That's the best thing they could possibly have done for Dayton area hams...  putting the money back into the hobby.

So W8JX is a local.  I wonder why he doesn't take advantage of the fact that he is so close to the Taj Mahal?  Their website even says "Guests are welcome to come and operate."

73, Ed
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2018, 05:26:52 PM »

The DARA club station W8BI was an old converted microwave TR shack.  They have added a lot to it over the years, and that's good.   http://www.w8bi.org/index.php/faq

Any ARC that can organize a hamfest and make money from it, and keep it alive all these years, deserves to be commended.  And the money they made was used to put their new club station on the air.  That's the best thing they could possibly have done for Dayton area hams...  putting the money back into the hobby.

So W8JX is a local.  I wonder why he doesn't take advantage of the fact that he is so close to the Taj Mahal?  Their website even says "Guests are welcome to come and operate."

73, Ed
What is pictured is certainly not a Taj Majal.  But, noticeably absent is their very large bobtail truck and antenna trailer.
Now, the interior of the truck is, I am told, nothing short of a Taj Majal for all of its gear.  Also, the photo of their site is quite old.  Perhaps more than fencing and paving the parking area has transpired in the interim since 2013.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2018, 08:52:57 PM »

What is pictured is certainly not a Taj Majal.  But, noticeably absent is their very large bobtail truck and antenna trailer.
Now, the interior of the truck is, I am told, nothing short of a Taj Majal for all of its gear.  Also, the photo of their site is quite old.  Perhaps more than fencing and paving the parking area has transpired in the interim since 2013.
Run up Google Maps Street View.  There's a more recent view of the building, towers, and grounds.
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2018, 05:52:23 AM »

73, Ed

I diagree somewhat.  I have no issue with a club making money.   What I have an issue with is:  Why did it take for the hara arenta to close for dara to look for another venue?   

If hamvention is the "biggest hamfest in the world" (in terms of what exactly?, and eventually they may lose that self proclaimed title), then why not make it a place that people want to attend, a semi-first clase venue, rather than the crap hole that was hara?

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2018, 08:14:02 AM »

73, Ed

I diagree somewhat.  I have no issue with a club making money.   What I have an issue with is:  Why did it take for the hara arenta to close for dara to look for another venue?   

If hamvention is the "biggest hamfest in the world" (in terms of what exactly?, and eventually they may lose that self proclaimed title), then why not make it a place that people want to attend, a semi-first clase venue, rather than the crap hole that was hara?

I suspect two reasons:

1) They got comfortable with the Hara site and never seriously imagined it would go away....until it did.

2) They figured any other site would raise ticket prices so much that it would kill attendance.

All IMHO.

But the whole thing reminds me of the person who never does any home maintenance until something breaks. Then it's an emergency because there's no heat, or the basement is flooded, or the roof collapsed.

73 de Jim, N2EY
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2018, 10:29:30 PM »

Just curious, wonder how much furniture W8JX bought form the store that was 'forced' to move.
It is totally amazing how many "experts" there are on DARA actions that bless them and do not even live here and yet someone who does and sees through smoke screen because they are local and know what is really going on is attacked. It boils down to is that the truth is what they want it to be and they do not want to here what it real is.
Translation:  None, which is why he completely avoided answering the question.

I don’t know what his real beef with DARA is, but reading between the lines, clearly his disagreement over their spending on the clubhouse is part of it.  The impliciation is that he was a member at one time, and his disagreement with the rest of the group reached the point where either he decided to quit, or was forced out.

So it is clear that his opinion is biased.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2018, 10:32:16 PM »

73, Ed
What is pictured is certainly not a Taj Majal.  But, noticeably absent is their very large bobtail truck and antenna trailer.
Now, the interior of the truck is, I am told, nothing short of a Taj Majal for all of its gear.  Also, the photo of their site is quite old.  Perhaps more than fencing and paving the parking area has transpired in the interim since 2013.
Truck?  You mean their mobile command station?  I’ve seen it — actually been inside it.  And it is impressive.  Well laid out, well designed.  I have pictures around somewhere.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2018, 04:18:35 AM »

Just curious, wonder how much furniture W8JX bought form the store that was 'forced' to move.
It is totally amazing how many "experts" there are on DARA actions that bless them and do not even live here and yet someone who does and sees through smoke screen because they are local and know what is really going on is attacked. It boils down to is that the truth is what they want it to be and they do not want to here what it real is.
Translation:  None, which is why he completely avoided answering the question.

I don’t know what his real beef with DARA is, but reading between the lines, clearly his disagreement over their spending on the clubhouse is part of it.  The impliciation is that he was a member at one time, and his disagreement with the rest of the group reached the point where either he decided to quit, or was forced out.

So it is clear that his opinion is biased.

Yep...very biased.

Yep, he avoids questions and tells you that you are stupid and know nothing and only he is right for an answer to most questions. Oh yea he is local and knows all. Even when he never attends, he describes things like he spent his whole life there at the event. But those that do attend are just wrong due to QTH, not being an antique extra, and numerous other reasons.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
AF8JC

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2018, 09:14:21 PM »

I have been in DARA's "Taj-Majal" numerous times. It is a very nice "clubhouse" with two rooms for four amateur work stations. These rooms also contain the repeaters, patch panels, and amplifiers that allow members to work with very high-quality equipment. The really neat thing is that any member can get an electronic key fob that allows them to enter and operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! They constantly emphasize the facility is for the MEMBERS to enjoy. An additional room is a very nice "presentation room" with quality work tables, wi-fi, projectors, etc. This room is for seminars, classes, license testing, and experimental work and repair. Every Thursday night, various members with all sorts of expertise show up to share their projects, help others with their radios or projects, and socialize. I think there are 3 (maybe 4) electronics work stations with all the standard equipment for electronics work, and shared test equipment of almost any sort. No matter what your experience or skill level, everyone is there to help and support each other. In between those two rooms is a nice, but modest-sized, socialization area. Comfortable chairs, refreshments, magazines, etc make it a comfortable environment for members and their families to just "hang out". In the 6 years that I have been a DARA member, I haven't seen or heard of any cliques, secret handshakes, or "koolaid" dispensers. I have only seen good people that enjoy the hobby, willing to give their time and energy to make DARA a success. DARA is not a mega corporation with executives, behind the scenes, pulling strings and conspiring to fleece the public. It is simply people, like you and me, doing the best they can.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: