The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT IS IT WITH AUDIO REPORTS?  (Read 3139 times)
JAZZMAN

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2018, 11:10:12 AM »

Is it just me or has this audio business gone completely crazy?  Back in the day, radios glowed in the dark and there wasn't any of this EQ audio nonsense we have now.  Well the smart people figured out a way to make you think you need a big expensive mic.  Oh don't forget about the outboard EQ or rack gear as they call it.

Show me the money.  Most of these mics are expensive!!!  Look them up PR-40, RE-27 etc...

Outboard gear like the EQ Plus sell for a lot of money. 

I know everyone now wants to sound like a FM broadcaster on 40 meter phone.  Good luck with that.

I could go on and on.  I like things simple and I still can't understand this obsession with audio. 

What are some of your thoughts? 
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 04:38:44 PM »

Some people talk like they have a mouth full of marbles.  No mic will help that.
Art
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 04:51:37 PM »

There are peactical reasons for having superior audio. Even if your signal isn't the strongest, it can still get you that qso. The dx will appreciate it if they don't have to strain their ears. Given a choice,most will respond to the station that's easier to hear.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 08:06:09 PM »

My Onion: Buy an Icom 7300 and use a Heil ICM mic and you will be heard. Keeping it real. Nuff Said. 73s

Jesus please give me more Wisdom .
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 08:07:31 AM »

I'm with JAZZMAN on this, it seems a little crazy. Elsewhere on the site you with find mention of Bob Heil and his products and I can't figure out why his company exists. Sure, they are probably very good microphones and headphones, but a transceiver should have an audio response on SSB of about 300 Hz to 3000 Hz, about 2.7 KHz of bandwidth.

2.7 KHz bandwidth ain't HiFi, it's more like one of the old telephone calls before they went digital, it will however make you understandable when your signal is surrounded by all the noise and crud. Mixing desks and high-end microphones are just surplus to requirements here.

However.......................

I have a graphic equilizer in my shack, but it's on the receive side. I can null out carriers, I can make any low-pass or band-pass filter I want, and I can make you sound like a telephone call. It helps.

So, please give me slightly processed audio with a bandwidth of 300 Hz to 3000 Hz on SSB and in return your audio report will be 'armchair copy OM'.

Peter DL8OV
VE3PP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 10:25:11 AM »

I own several HF rigs. My main rig is a FTDX-1200 with a Heil GM5 mic.

I love to warm up my Drake Twins and get on the air with them.

Well when I do that and I check into a local HF net you should hear some of the comments about
my audio.

"Rick, your audio has not lows, it is not your normal audio. What are you doing?"

I simply reply "50 year old HF rigs do not have built in EQ's and they have narrower transmit width"

Some guys still don't get it. Now some of the older hams who have been around for 30+ years understand. But there is the odd one who doesnn't and still say "Well that is crappy audio"

Meanwhile  I can call CQ with the twins and have a QSO  with someone who doesn't know me and they'll ask "What rig are you running?" When I tell them most of them will say "Well it sounds great" Why? Because they have never heard me on my FTDX-1200, so they have nothing to compare the Drake Twins too.

I actually had some clown tell me I should buy an outboard EQ unit and put it in front of the T-4XB or my TR-4 so I can tailor the audio.  Roll Eyes

I no longer pay attention to those comments. I simply say "Is there RF in my audio? If not then there is nothing wrong with it"

I know one thing for sure. The audio from the Drake TR-4 was just fine when I broke a big pileup into the Slovak Republic on 40 SSB last week. I beat out some loud stations with that "CRAPPY AUDIO"  Grin

You can't fix stupid!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 10:27:31 AM by VE3PP » Logged
JAZZMAN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 12:14:03 PM »

There are peactical reasons for having superior audio. Even if your signal isn't the strongest, it can still get you that qso. The dx will appreciate it if they don't have to strain their ears. Given a choice,most will respond to the station that's easier to hear.

You make some really good points.  If your signal is not strong to the DX station and you have your radio setup with so much bass and no mids or highs.  To them it sounds like you are talking into a pillow. 

That is why 50 year old Drakes like Ricks that are narrow and articulate can be heard when others can't.     
JAZZMAN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 01:58:23 PM »

My Onion: Buy an Icom 7300 and use a Heil ICM mic and you will be heard. Keeping it real. Nuff Said. 73s

Jesus please give me more Wisdom .

I would agree 100 percent.  The Icom 7300 is a great radio even with the hand Mic I have never heard one on the air that sounded bad.  With the ICM Mic just that much better.  Great info thank you. 

JAZZMAN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 02:10:29 PM »

I'm with JAZZMAN on this, it seems a little crazy. Elsewhere on the site you with find mention of Bob Heil and his products and I can't figure out why his company exists. Sure, they are probably very good microphones and headphones, but a transceiver should have an audio response on SSB of about 300 Hz to 3000 Hz, about 2.7 KHz of bandwidth.

2.7 KHz bandwidth ain't HiFi, it's more like one of the old telephone calls before they went digital, it will however make you understandable when your signal is surrounded by all the noise and crud. Mixing desks and high-end microphones are just surplus to requirements here.

However.......................

I have a graphic equilizer in my shack, but it's on the receive side. I can null out carriers, I can make any low-pass or band-pass filter I want, and I can make you sound like a telephone call. It helps.

So, please give me slightly processed audio with a bandwidth of 300 Hz to 3000 Hz on SSB and in return your audio report will be 'armchair copy OM'.

Peter DL8OV

GREAT INFO!!  You have a graphic EQ in your shack but it's on the receive side BRILLIANT!! 

You can make me sound like a telephone call or whatever you want me to sound like. 

I like this.  Thank you.   
VE3PP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 04:45:29 PM »

You make some really good points.  If your signal is not strong to the DX station and you have your radio setup with so much bass and no mids or highs.  To them it sounds like you are talking into a pillow. 

That is why 50 year old Drakes like Ricks that are narrow and articulate can be heard when others can't.     

Oh I can be heard but the "Audiophiles" don't like the audio from those old Drakes! Roll Eyes
When I am operating them I am certainly no VOODOO CHILD hahaha
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 06:49:13 PM »

Oh I can be heard but the "Audiophiles" don't like the audio from those old Drakes! Roll Eyes
When I am operating them I am certainly no VOODOO CHILD hahaha
I have nothing against old Drakes,used to have one myself.
Merely saying if it helps you to make qso's good for you. 
K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 07:48:32 PM »

Awwwwwdiiiiiioooooohhh
Awwwwwdiiiiiioooooohhh
Audio, Audio, Audio
Test One Two
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 08:01:42 PM »

[/b]
Awwwwwdiiiiiioooooohhh
Awwwwwdiiiiiioooooohhh
Audio, Audio, Audio
Test One Two
You forgot "Hola".
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 09:57:29 PM »

I like to say testing testing 1 2 3 4 5 and 5 4 3 2 1 test test 1 2 3  3 2 1 and then tap the microphone and then blow into it. Reminds me of a Band setting up at some of the bars i used to go to back in my twenties.  Wow. Keeping it Real. Nuff Said. Everyone have a Blessed day and be safe. 73s.
P.S. With my ICOM 7300 I HAVE THIS AS A PRE RECORDED SETTING.

Jesus keep me focused and give me understanding.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 10:00:03 PM by KC8KTN » Logged
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 11:37:33 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPheeW9ewsc

Everyone have a Blessed Day and be safe..73ss

Jesus keep me healthy and focussed..
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: