The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT IS IT WITH AUDIO REPORTS?  (Read 3526 times)
K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 12:03:11 AM »

Gotsta getz me one a dem dare echo thing-a-ma-jiggies.
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 06:07:54 AM »

That sounds like a good Idea. I bet that echo thing a ma jiggy can drive my old HW 101 to its max......

some people are like slinky's. not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 09:18:42 AM »

That sounds like a good Idea. I bet that echo thing a ma jiggy can drive my old HW 101 to its max......

Would that be Dosy watts or Birdie watts?  Roll Eyes  Grin
JAZZMAN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 06:38:38 PM »

Ok I just got a FTDX-1200 and have a PR-781, PR-40 and a XM8500 mic.  Please help me set this EQ up on this radio and explain to me what all these setting actually do to your audio.  I have 3 mics one is cheap and the other 2 are expensive.  How do I do it.  Everyone I ask on the air I get different opinions so that doesn't work.  Any help would be appreciated. 
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 06:46:48 PM »

OK, do you understand the idea behind web based SDR's? Well, plug one of those in your compuator thingy that can hear your signal good enough to give you a time delayed idea of what you sound like.

It's really that easy. Experiment away and don't forget to ID with a call sign and not a handle. Then write down the settings. Done!
JAZZMAN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 07:05:12 PM »

OK, do you understand the idea behind web based SDR's? Well, plug one of those in your compuator thingy that can hear your signal good enough to give you a time delayed idea of what you sound like.

It's really that easy. Experiment away and don't forget to ID with a call sign and not a handle. Then write down the settings. Done!

I did that had it dialed in.  I get on the air and realize I'm talking to people with all kinds of different radios that hear me differently.  Some are on a new rig like the 7610 and some are on a FT-101EE or a old Drake ETC...  I hope that makes sense to you.  It's like a Dog chasing his tail if I have to adjust my settings based on their receiver. 

Thank you for the kind comment and suggestions. 

WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 10:12:37 PM »

Doing radio is kinda like driving. Worry about what you're doing, not what the other guy is doing. Meaning, drive for yourself and don't worry so much about the other guy. Make it sound good on the SDR and leave it. It's not your problem how the other guys deficiencies effect your signal. You will go crazy worrying about that indeed.

Unless they're about to wreck into you!
VE3PP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2018, 12:41:08 PM »

Ok I just got a FTDX-1200 and have a PR-781, PR-40 and a XM8500 mic.  Please help me set this EQ up on this radio and explain to me what all these setting actually do to your audio.  I have 3 mics one is cheap and the other 2 are expensive.  How do I do it.  Everyone I ask on the air I get different opinions so that doesn't work.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Well I have that radio and here is what I did.

I got on 75M when conditions were very good and talked to a guy I know in person. Now he knows what my normal in person voice sounds like.

So I went through the EQ settings until he told me I sounded as on the air as I did in person.

So you can do that.

You can also go to Heil's website and Bob has some great starting points for setting the EQ parameters as he designed them.

If you want to you can email me, and I'll send you my settings. But that may not work for you, different voices.

You can also listen to yourself using the monitor and headphones. Or transmit on low power into a dummy load and listen to yourself on another rig (With the padding on so you do not overload the front end) again, wear headphones.

I use a Heil GM-5 in the wide position and I only use 19% mic gain and I use 15% processing. Never had any complaints about my audio.

Rick VE3PP
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2018, 02:43:43 PM »

Unless you're transmitting into a dummy load you're asking for more fun with the Feds.
JAZZMAN

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2018, 03:45:09 PM »

Unless you're transmitting into a dummy load you're asking for more fun with the Feds.

I don't know what that means more fun with the Feds.  If you would please explain that.     
JAZZMAN

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2018, 03:57:30 PM »

Well I have that radio and here is what I did.

I got on 75M when conditions were very good and talked to a guy I know in person. Now he knows what my normal in person voice sounds like.

So I went through the EQ settings until he told me I sounded as on the air as I did in person.

So you can do that.

You can also go to Heil's website and Bob has some great starting points for setting the EQ parameters as he designed them.

If you want to you can email me, and I'll send you my settings. But that may not work for you, different voices.

You can also listen to yourself using the monitor and headphones. Or transmit on low power into a dummy load and listen to yourself on another rig (With the padding on so you do not overload the front end) again, wear headphones.

I use a Heil GM-5 in the wide position and I only use 19% mic gain and I use 15% processing. Never had any complaints about my audio.

Rick VE3PP

Thank you for your advice Rick I wish it was that simple but it's not.  When you get on the air your audio is heard by many people who may have old radios, new radios, good signals, weak signals ETC...  Audio is very subjective Rick.  Thanks again and good luck.   
JAZZMAN

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2018, 06:09:50 PM »

Doing radio is kinda like driving. Worry about what you're doing, not what the other guy is doing. Meaning, drive for yourself and don't worry so much about the other guy. Make it sound good on the SDR and leave it. It's not your problem how the other guys deficiencies effect your signal. You will go crazy worrying about that indeed.

Oh Ok.  Get it dialed in on SDR the way I like it then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of my audio as long as I like it.

I like this concept thank you. 

You remind me of the Preacher in the movie Footloose.   
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2018, 11:21:31 PM »

Oh Ok.  Get it dialed in on SDR the way I like it then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of my audio as long as I like it.

I like this concept thank you. 

You remind me of the Preacher in the movie Footloose.   

That's OK, you remind me of Chuck. Stubborn and silly. Why are you so worried about others perceptions of what you sound like when it seems you don't give a crap about other peoples perceptions of what you write? Worry more about what you have control of and less over things you have no control over and these sorts of conundrums won't upset you so much. Is that really so hard to understand or are you being Chuckie again?
JAZZMAN

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2018, 02:02:04 PM »

I wish people would be more open in regards to audio.  Don't worry about how you sound get on the air and have some fun. 

God Bless
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2018, 07:28:31 AM »

I wish people would be more open in regards to audio.  Don't worry about how you sound get on the air and have some fun. 

God Bless

If you don't worry about how you sound how will you know if anyone can understand you.
Point 2, you only sound as good as the speaker on the receiving allows you to sound.

some people are like slinky's. not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: