The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur Radio Focused Web Hosting?  (Read 442 times)
KB5UZB

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2018, 06:54:59 PM »

Hi there!

I’m a tiny little web hosting provider that’s also a Ham (recently getting back into the hobby). I was thinking the other day that I should combine the two. I want to create a hosting package that caters to the Amateur community at a decent price. Honestly, I also think doing this will help me be more active in the Ham community.

So, I'm just here to ask you guys what you’d like in a web hosting package. If you've used shared hosting before, was it lacking anything? Is there something you've always wanted to do with a website that you haven't been able to for some reason? I'd like to be able to offer something that's more flexible and powerful than the offerings from QTH.com and the like.

Also, if you know of any web-based applications that are amateur radio focused or just useful to us beyond the usual blog and gallery apps. Or even things like Wordpress plugins that tie into QSL services or something like that. Maybe I can provide them as preconfigured options.

Thanks & 73!

Scott
kb5uzb

P.S.: I'm intentionally leaving the info about my company out, since this is an inquiry, not an ad. :-) I expect to be placing an ad here on eHam soon to launch the service if it sounds like something you guys would be into.

I need cheaper hobbies...
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 01:16:34 PM »

I don't run a website but here's what I would like to see from an ISP

1) Monitor the outgoing volume of mail from each account and if it hits a sudden surge then lock the account and tell the owner. Everyone can be hacked so locking an account if a few thousand emails suddenly go out is a sensible precaution.

2) If users appear to go bad then tell them exactly why their account is locked, don't just claim a T&C violation.

3) Disk space these days is cheap and hams like to have lots of pictures and schematics on their sites. So, have no limits on non-commercial website sizes.

4) Two email addresses per website with an option for more at increased cost.

5) Links on the ISP web pages to those who can help design the web pages that go into a site. I don't have the slightest idea how this is done and I can't be the only one.

6) Good spam filters are an absolute requirement.

7) Have advertising inserted to pay for all of this but PLEASE don't make it too obtrusive and in your face. No flash, and keep third party cookies to a minimum.

Cool Ad blockers are a fact of life, please accept this and don't block those who choose to use them,

And finally......................................

9) Tech support using human beings, not script following robots, who can speak and understand English.

Good luck!!

Peter DL8OV
KB5UZB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 08:42:56 AM »

Actually most of those things are what I aspire to as a provider. :-)

1) Monitor the outgoing volume of mail from each account and if it hits a sudden surge then lock the account and tell the owner. Everyone can be hacked so locking an account if a few thousand emails suddenly go out is a sensible precaution.
After having a few problems early on, I work hard to keep an eye on traffic and possible issues with people's accounts. Honestly, that's probably where I spend most of my time. As you say, everyone is susceptible.

2) If users appear to go bad then tell them exactly why their account is locked, don't just claim a T&C violation.
Thankfully, locking has been VERY rare for us. I'd rather send the user a notification and see how they'd like to resolve the issue, than just shut them down. Unless of course there is some sort of spamming issue going on, since that most dramatically impacts the other users.

3) Disk space these days is cheap and hams like to have lots of pictures and schematics on their sites. So, have no limits on non-commercial website sizes.
While I'm not that generous, I don't think I have anyone getting anywhere near their quota currently. On top of that "Unlimited" never is, there are always weird restrictions and caveats attached, so I prefer to have realistic limits.

4) Two email addresses per website with an option for more at increased cost.
You just described my Starter account. :-)

5) Links on the ISP web pages to those who can help design the web pages that go into a site. I don't have the slightest idea how this is done and I can't be the only one.
That's a good idea. Most of my current customers were referred the opposite direction, so I haven't really needed that. I'll definitely add that on my partners/services pages.

6) Good spam filters are an absolute requirement.
This is the hardest part. SpamAssassin does a decent job, but still misses way too much when setup to avoid false positives. :-( Personally I'd rather get some spam than miss something important.

7) Have advertising inserted to pay for all of this but PLEASE don't make it too obtrusive and in your face. No flash, and keep third party cookies to a minimum.
Cool Ad blockers are a fact of life, please accept this and don't block those who choose to use them.
I'd never insert anything on your site. You are the customer, not the product. Not only that, but paying for things with ad revenue on the internet is a tough gig these days ... mostly due to ad blockers. It's an obnoxious arms race that I'm more than willing to stay out of.

9) Tech support using human beings, not script following robots, who can speak and understand English.
Since I'm tiny, you're looking at the tech support.

When I say tiny I really mean it. I work with huge providers for the data center end of things, so I'm not running it out of my guest room or anything, but I focus on local small businesses at this point. I've never wanted to challenge GoDaddy (ewwww) or HostGator or anything like that. I'd rather provide a good product with good performance at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the feedback. It's always good to hear real feedback. :-)

Scott

I need cheaper hobbies...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: