The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure and California Elecrivity  (Read 524 times)
AC2Q

Ignore
« on: October 11, 2019, 05:38:40 PM »

Quote: Of course powerless people would rush to their phones, overwhelming LTE networks and crippling mobile data access to us all.

https://m.mysanantonio.com/news/article/Dark-shops-spotty-phones-rotting-fish-Life-in-14514063.php
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 06:08:59 PM »

Quote: Of course powerless people would rush to their phones, overwhelming LTE networks and crippling mobile data access to us all.

https://m.mysanantonio.com/news/article/Dark-shops-spotty-phones-rotting-fish-Life-in-14514063.php

Someone once told me that the cellular network only has the capacity to support between 6 and 10% of its customers at the same time. Even if the cell sites had sufficient backup power to stay up, if too many people try to use it at once, it will bring the network to its knees.

I saw it happen here in downtown Cleveland in 2016 when they held a victory parade for winning the NBA title. 1.6 million people jammed into downtown to celebrate an event that hadn't happened here in 50 years. People began pouring into downtown around 7AM for the noon parade. By 8:30AM cell service started to get spotty, and by 9AM you couldn't get a cellular connection. Your phone just said "no service". Service didn't return until after the crowd dissipated later in the day.

I've never seen that many people in one place in my life. It was amazing.

I have enough solar power to keep some batteries charged, so I'd have lights and working ham gear. There's also a 3500w generator in the garage which I could run as long as I could get fuel for it. It would be like Field Day at home.

Thank God I don't live in California.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 06:11:04 PM by N8AUC » Logged
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 06:34:50 PM »

Any word on how the cell sites are faring with the PG&E power cuts in Northern California?

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 06:44:48 PM »

https://www.timesheraldonline.com/2019/06/03/6091556-2/

W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 06:59:02 PM »

Thanks for the link but that is related to the fires of this past spring/summer. I am more interested in the effect of the recent, preemptive power cuts.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 11:52:13 PM »

if too many people try to use it at once, it will bring the network to its knees.

It will appear that way to the common folk.  But access is tiered, and if you're in the "privileged" group ($) you'll get through.  The only common denominator is the backhaul which wouldn't be a limiting factor unless it breaks down.

The providers can giveth, and taketh away:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/08/verizon-throttled-fire-departments-unlimited-data-during-calif-wildfire/

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 09:28:11 AM »

if too many people try to use it at once, it will bring the network to its knees.

It will appear that way to the common folk.  But access is tiered, and if you're in the "privileged" group ($) you'll get through.  The only common denominator is the backhaul which wouldn't be a limiting factor unless it breaks down.

The providers can giveth, and taketh away:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/08/verizon-throttled-fire-departments-unlimited-data-during-calif-wildfire/

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

That was an interesting, and not totally surprising article. After all, it was Verizon involved.

And FirstNet is being pushed out by another "provider". Yep. What could POSSIBLY go wrong with that?

Bottom line, the old wisdom again comes to the surface. In an emergency, never rely on infrastructure you don't control.
WA8NVW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 10:22:30 PM »

Getting back to the basics, if a cell site has 44 channels configured for traffic and they all are already occupied, users 45 and beyond are not going to receive service until somebody in the first 44 hangs up or terminates their app's data connection. Only exception would be a government priority access code, which will disconnect somebody.
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 08:16:20 PM »

As far as the Firstnet comments.
Because of what it is, it has to be installed and redundant to a specified standard.
I am not gonna go into all of it, but the list is long and goes WAY beyond what a standard cell site is required to have, and the whole system is for public safety only,
so while it's possible for it to be overloaded, it would only overload if public safety did it as the whole thing is specifically for them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: