The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noise Levels on 75M  (Read 1424 times)
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 10:40:23 AM »

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/RFI/Thompson%20Noise.pdf
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 12:52:52 PM »

I live in an RF noisy city and I have found a few things that help:

1) If you have S6 of noise then everything below S6 is wasted and your wanted signal needs to be an S6 or above. So, make use of your rigs attenuator and keep on adding attenuation until you (ideally) hit S0. You can then use all of your receivers dynamic range.

2) Turn RF Gain down to zero then audio gain up to full. After this you SLOWLY turn up RF gain until you start to hear signals. Alter the audio level using the RF Gain control.

3) I've seen a box of electronics that was amazing for masking locally generated noise but I can't remember the name. It connects before your rig and there are two antenna connections, your main antenna and a smaller 'noise' antenna. You then adjust gain and phase until the noise signal is inverted and cancelled out.

Good luck!

Peter DL8OV
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 04:23:18 PM »

I have found the turning down the rf gain works great and is good advice. But on 80 meters Night time and early morning hours are great operating time but this is not a hard fast rule. Everyone have a Blessed day and be safe. 73s. Wow WZ7U that video that you love sending to Everyone was done 10 years ago. Your Jealousy is showing again. You are so PREDICTABLE. W.T.T.C president strikes again.

Jesus help me to Understand. And stay Focussed.

I enjoy watching the Video it is Funny
At one time there were 13 videos on You Tube but when Google bought them out some were lost not sure why. They were all funny.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 04:30:34 PM by KC8KTN » Logged
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 06:54:23 PM »

Wow WZ7U that video that you love sending to Everyone was done 10 years ago.
I enjoy watching the Video it is Funny
At one time there were 13 videos on You Tube but when Google bought them out some were lost not sure why. They were all funny.
It is funny. Its funny because it shows your true colors regarding your state of mind. Are you suggesting otherwise?

Maybe you should make them over again, like Hollyweird does with old movies.
JAZZMAN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 07:23:12 PM »

Don't work much on 75M. Every time I tune in to the 3902 KHz or 3905 KHZ I get an S9 noise level. If I tune to the top of the band the noise level drops to S7. I work mainly 40 and 20M. If you work 75M a lot, is this typical for that band?

My equipment: Yaesu FT-991A Transceiver
                     LDG AT-1000 Pro II tuner
                     Samlex 15V switching power supply
                     Alpha Delta 40-80M Inverted V (strung in a tall pine tree)

Thanks
Jimmy

I had similar trouble on different parts of the band as well.  I could not figure it out.  I mostly work CW so that part of 80 meters has been OK though. Not sure.  Good luck. 
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 08:52:42 PM »

Eric Eric Eric your reading more into than it is. Again so PREDICTABLE.  W.T.T.C. President 4-Ever. Everyone please be safe and Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Jesus give me the understanding. Keep me focused.

Eric this is for you..

https://youtu.be/_WJ6FbcWYRU
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 10:08:06 PM »

Eric this is for you..

https://youtu.be/_WJ6FbcWYRU

Now that was funny!  Finally!  Grin

AND IT GOES LIKE THIS!! HERE IT GOES!! HERE IT COMES AGAIN!!
VE3PP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2018, 04:45:37 AM »

Somebody mentioned turning down the rf gain( I think). So I looked at the screen of the 991A and the amp1 icon was on. I reset the IPO function to bypass both preamps (AMP1 and AMP2) and the noise level dropped from S9 to S6. Thanks!
Radios are so complex nowadays that I may have risen to my level of incompetence already.

Bye the bye...somebody mentioned noise sources. Does anybody sell a device that can pinpoint sources of RF noise
or maybe somebody has a schematic for a simple device.

Thanks
Jimmy

Jimmy, I was the one who suggested checking to see if that pre amp is on. There is no need to use the pre amp on the low bands. (Unless you are one of those guys who likes to tell everyone "You are 40/9 here"

I might turn the first stage of the pre amp on once in a blue moon on 40 meters. But never on 75 meters.

I have a Drake R-4C in line and can easily switch between it, my FTDX-1200, FT-950 and TS-820S.

All of them will have S meter readings that are close to each other. No pre amps in those old rigs!

I never could figure out why Yaesu sets the factory default IPO to Amp 1. But they did!

Have fun, and as others have stated, if you can connect your rig to a battery and shut your hydro off then you can see if any of that noise is being generated in your home. You'd be surprised at what can be creating noise within your own home.

BTW my 75 M noise level here in the city is S 5 this morning. So I don't think you have any major issues at your place.
VE3PP

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2018, 04:48:18 AM »

I recommend an Icom 7300. The BEST.  It is a world of difference from a Icom 718..
Everyone have a Joyous Day.. Be Safe 73s

Jesus keep me focussed . Give me Patience...  

Please enlighten us how an Icom 7300 will combat locally generated noise?

The original poster is not using an Icom 718, which claim is inferior to the 7300.

Your post makes absolutely no sense.

God needs to give us patience to deal with you.  Roll Eyes

To the original poster, make sure your pre amp is not turned on. I normally see S 5 (currently at 14:43 UTC.)

At night, depending on conditions that noise level could rise up to S 7-9.

Antenna is a fan dipole for 80/40. Radio is a FTDX-1200, but I have 4 additional HF stations here and the noise level will be the same on those too.

I know that on my FTDX-1200 and FT-950 the factory default for the pre-amp is Amp 1. So make sure you have that turned off.

Ah, I see you've stepped in some of our village idiots excrement. I hope you were wearing shoes. Our apologies, sometimes the scooper patrol misses things around here.

Its best to simply ignore his baitings or you will be lumped into his fictional Wound Too Tight Club. In which case you will be ridiculed at every opportunity. If you spend a little time looking up his previous postings here, you will see the ravings of a lunatic self evident in short order.

If you have the appropriate software enabled, this video will explain everything perfectly. I find that the phone has no trouble playing the file.
http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s926.photobucket.com/user/Bob_Bralove/media/KC8KTN%20The%20CB%20Captain/KC8KTNTheCaptainVideo2.flv.html

Yes I had shoes on! And no I have not fallen for his baiting. I just sit here and shake my head and wonder how someone as stupid as him managed to pass his test to get his ticket!

You can't fix stupid, but you can numb it with a 2X4.  Wink
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 04:51:23 AM by VE3PP » Logged
K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2018, 06:42:20 PM »

Trying to determine if he responds with complete irrelevance to what is being discussed on purpose or do to stupidity.

I recommend an Icom 7300. The BEST.  It is a world of difference from a Icom 718..

The original poster is not using an Icom 718, which claim is inferior to the 7300.

To the original poster, make sure your pre amp is not turned on. I normally see S 5 (currently at 14:43 UTC.)

Antenna is a fan dipole for 80/40. Radio is a FTDX-1200, but I have 4 additional HF stations here and the noise level will be the same on those too.

I know that on my FTDX-1200 and FT-950 the factory default for the pre-amp is Amp 1. So make sure you have that turned off.

Ah, I see you've stepped in some of our village idiots excrement. I hope you were wearing shoes. Our apologies, sometimes the scooper patrol misses things around here.

Its best to simply ignore his baitings or you will be lumped into his fictional Wound Too Tight Club. In which case you will be ridiculed at every opportunity. If you spend a little time looking up his previous postings here, you will see the ravings of a lunatic self evident in short order.

If you have the appropriate software enabled, this video will explain everything perfectly. I find that the phone has no trouble playing the file.
http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s926.photobucket.com/user/Bob_Bralove/media/KC8KTN%20The%20CB%20Captain/KC8KTNTheCaptainVideo2.flv.html

Yes I had shoes on! And no I have not fallen for his baiting. I just sit here and shake my head and wonder how someone as stupid as him managed to pass his test to get his ticket!

WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2018, 11:16:23 PM »

Trying to determine if he responds with complete irrelevance to what is being discussed on purpose or do to stupidity.

I don't know, let's ask him!
JAZZMAN

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2018, 03:58:55 PM »

How about turning the attenuation on? That will drop the garbage down so you will have an easier time picking out who you want to hear. Try that and get back to us, because what you are describing is typical of that band as well as anything below about 10mhz. While everything you hear will be quieter, you can make up for it by riding the volume knob.

The garbage are the people talking on 75 meters.  That's a no brain deal right there.  Try and be nice for a change. 

And don't post back to me unless you have something good to say. 

God Bless you all!!
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2018, 05:00:34 PM »

How about turning the attenuation on? That will drop the garbage down so you will have an easier time picking out who you want to hear. Try that and get back to us, because what you are describing is typical of that band as well as anything below about 10mhz. While everything you hear will be quieter, you can make up for it by riding the volume knob.

The garbage are the people talking on 75 meters.  That's a no brain deal right there.  Try and be nice for a change. 

And don't post back to me unless you have something good to say. 

God Bless you all!!
You make it sound like you are complaining about atmospheric noise then change it up to be the hams on 75? Really?

You sir can simply refrain from being the ass you so richly are displaying. Plus, I will post back to whoever I so choose. Like the popular tag line was, "You ain't the boss of me!" Don't like it - get your own forum.
JAZZMAN

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2018, 05:31:55 PM »

75 Meters is pretty bad you have to admit that at least right?  Please try to be nice. 

God Bless you!!
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2018, 08:17:15 PM »

75 Meters is pretty bad you have to admit that at least right?  Please try to be nice. 

God Bless you!!
That depends on how many times the definition of pretty bad changes, doesn't it? That's as nice as you get for now.

God Bless you and everyone else too.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: