The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone follow the accessories knob business like 73CNC???  (Read 1504 times)
KX2T

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2018, 06:08:59 AM »

Not long ago there used to be a ham radio retailer who sold replacement knobs for many of the newer radio's along with many of the legacy rigs as well. I had purchased one for at the time a Yaesu FTDX3000 and compared to the stock knob when I purchased that radio it was over $2K but installing that knob it felt like a more expensive rig. It seems that for whatever reason this retailer has gone away, I would hope that someone follows in this gentleman shoes cause even today there are a whole lot more radio's that are excellent rigs yet the main tuning knob feels cheap, I really have enjoy the new IC7610 yet when I go to tune with there main tuning knob it feels kind of cheap, the rest of the knobs feel right but the main tuning knob has no weight to it thus its kind of blaaa. Many of the newer radio's are the same way and the 73CNC knob's were not cheap but they did not disappoint.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 07:21:36 AM »

Two decades ago when I was recovering from a stroke I did a lot of hobby work with miniature machine tools, as you don't need good fine motion skills to turn a hand crank!
I made knobs out of both brass and plastic.  The brass ones had the weight for main tuning knobs.

Zak W1VT
KC9BUH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 07:01:01 PM »

http://www.dtsohio.com/73cnc/elecraft-k3-black.html
KB5UZB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 08:12:56 PM »

Hit up the guys at your local makerspace (if you have one). They could probably model your existing knob and CNC it out of nearly any material you want.

I need cheaper hobbies...
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 01:05:11 AM »

At $150 plus shipping, for a pair of K3 knobs, these guys are laughing all the way to the bank! I've had my K3 since 2007 and use it a lot, I've never felt the need to replace the tuning knobs.

These knobs remind me of the HiFi accessories, such as the replacement mains leads using "oxygen free" copper and costing around $100 for a $5 item. For a laugh see:
https://www.hifigear.co.uk/blackrhodium-libra.html   And there are more expensive ones too!

Maybe I should sell oxygen free antenna wire, it must give better sounding transmissions and less noise on receive... now that's a marketing idea <G>

73 Dave
PU2OZT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 03:55:38 AM »

Wouldn't machining the best of knobs add a too expensive step in transceiver's assembly process?
We should be able to make our personalized ones, thanks to makers shops. Look at:

UnternehmerTUM MakerSpace Tour

Maybe only in Germany (and never ever in Brazil)

Dave, "Air-free" capacitors, these are not cheap either!!!

Have fun building / homebrewing

Oliver

KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 01:48:48 PM »

I guess since I came from the days of old were the main tuning knob feel was important is why when I bought my last Yaesu FTDX3000 I felt that the tuning knob had a cheap feel so I didn't care if the $120 replacement knob costs that much cause it made at the time a $2000 radio feel like a more expensive rig, each to his own but today's radio's are not cheap and if an accessory knob that makes the rig have that silky tuning balanced weighted feel that $120 is well spent. If you guys wanted a cheap hobby this is the wrong avenue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: