The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No S Meter in AM mode on TS-2000  (Read 451 times)
VE4FX

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2018, 05:32:57 AM »

There must be something I'm missing but this morning the S-Meter stopped working on AM mode on my Kenwood TS-2000. I get normal readings on USB, LSB and FM but when I switch to AM the meter stops and the audio gets distorted.

Is there something in the settings that could cause this? I haven't found it yet looking in the manual Embarrassed  I know last week I got normal action on the meter while in AM mode.I get no difference with Att on or off, Pre on or off

When tuning to a distant AM station all I get in distortion now, does not change when inserting the attenuator or preamp. Normally this station comes in around S7-8 with good audio, switching to USB or LSB the audio clears up.

It acts the same way in the amateur bands as well,  I get noise but nothing on the S meter in AM mode

Thanks
VE4FX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 05:48:27 AM »

Hello again

I performed a partial reset and the issue disappeared. I would have liked to have seen what the problem was. I didn't learn anything doing the reset but it's all back to normal
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 05:50:33 AM »

I would suspect that for some reason, the AGC wasn't working on AM. If you get it again, see if the distortion disappears when you wind back the RF gain control - that would tell you if it's the lack of AGC.
N9CM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 07:05:11 AM »

Not sure but may be a switching issue or relay issue.  Likely a relay issue and doubtful the radio was used in AM mode much if at all.  Good to exercise it now and then and check it.  GL.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: