The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Universal Good Ideas in Ham Radio  (Read 2070 times)
KK4FGF

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2018, 07:51:37 AM »

While perusing the forums, I've always noticed that there are a lot of good ideas along with a healthy debate of those ideas. As a relatively inexperienced Ham I'm curious, are there any universally good ideas or axioms that are pretty much recognized by everyone? I'm not saying something that is scientific fact like P = E x I, but things like -- (I am making no claims about these ideas, just perhaps poor examples):

i. You should join your local amateur radio club
ii. The antenna is more important than your rig
iii. Call signs instead of #Hashtags

This may be a stupid forum question and I apologize for wasting anyone's time, but I thought it might be a good way to communicate those indispensable nuggets of "truth" that beginners would do well to heed.

JoAnn Peeler, KK4FGF
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 09:58:18 AM »

JoAnn, nothing stupid about it at all.  The issues are the trolls that inhabit this venue and end up trashing anything good because they have no life.
Art
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 10:46:25 AM »

Art is right, JoAnn. In my mind, stupid questions are the ones you have and don't ask. Like any internet forum, the troll factor is here and at times quite high; those should become self evident in time. Hopefully not for a long time. I'm sure some here consider me a troll, only because of my intolerance of fools and their fodder. On to great ideas...

The three ideas you listed so far are great. At this time I might augment #2 with "and understanding how it works is paramount". SWR isn't the be all and end all of ones system. There are factors that go into the swr one is presented with that are as important as the final result. Meaning, a 1000' spool of RG-8X will present a 1.1-1 swr but is it really radiating anything? So yes, the antenna system is more important than any particular radio. Its height above average terrain vs wavelength and its polarity play into all this too. Lots to learn if one wants a big signal and to hear well too.

Here's one for submission, pending approval -
iv. Standard phonetics are appropriate when needed, where cutesy slang and codes from another service are not. Ever.

I would include Q codes on phone and the ever ridiculous hihi for laughter. If it's funny, then laugh; don't be a good buddy about it.
That's what I have, pre-coffee on the first morning of standard time here at the tip of NW Oregon.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 10:56:50 AM by WZ7U » Logged
KB5UZB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 10:51:01 AM »

Those 1st 2 are great - with one modification to the first.  :-)

i. You should join your local amateur radio club, unless it's full of politics and drama that you don't want to deal with. In that case find a different club.

I haven't experienced it, but I've read some stories that are an embarrassment to the community ... alas a problem with all types of clubs.

What's the 3rd one refer to?

& I add my approval to WZ7U's submission. Cheesy (I had to look up hihi when seeing it on the forums - I figured that's what it was, but wanted to be sure).

I need cheaper hobbies...
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 10:54:31 AM »

Those 1st 2 are great - with one modification to the first.  :-)

i. You should join your local amateur radio club, unless it's full of politics and drama that you don't want to deal with. In that case find a different club.

I haven't experienced it, but I've read some stories that are an embarrassment to the community ... alas a problem with all types of clubs.

What's the 3rd one refer to?

& I add my approval to WZ7U's submission. Cheesy (I had to look up hihi when seeing it on the forums - I figured that's what it was, but wanted to be sure).
I like the addendum for #1. I live that and didn't realize it till now.
The third I believe refers to using "handles" on the forum instead of a call sign to ID with.
KB5UZB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 11:08:12 AM »

I thought that might be it, but I wasn't sure. Smiley

I need cheaper hobbies...
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 11:41:01 AM »

Never try to catch a falling soldering iron.

Peter DL8OV
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 11:53:36 AM »

Never try to catch a falling soldering iron.

Peter DL8OV
Or solder in shorts.

Saw this over yonder and felt it needed repeating - "Listen to the way the DX is working stations for at least a few minutes before you make a call to one."
Which I would add "Don't call the DX if you can't completely copy them."
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 12:06:45 PM »

Don't depend on on-line forums for accurate information.  Wink

JAZZMAN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 02:10:42 PM »

Before you speak on the air or on any forum THINK first type or talk later.  Treat people how you would want to be treated and try to be nice. 

Good luck and God Bless you!!
K5DH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 04:17:38 PM »

Don't operate your ham rig, or your computer, if you've been drinking. 
JAZZMAN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 05:39:43 PM »

Don't operate your ham rig, or your computer, if you've been drinking. 

Snap really great point. 

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 06:40:31 PM »

Don't depend on on-line forums for accurate information.  Wink

But saying that on an on-line forum then could make the reader wonder if your advice is in itself accurate!

Help out the Club Log QSL Card Tagging Project - Tag DX QSL Cards
NW7OR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 09:21:19 PM »

While perusing the forums, I've always noticed that there are a lot of good ideas along with a healthy debate of those ideas. As a relatively inexperienced Ham I'm curious, are there any universally good ideas or axioms that are pretty much recognized by everyone? I'm not saying something that is scientific fact like P = E x I, but things like -- (I am making no claims about these ideas, just perhaps poor examples):

This may be a stupid forum question and I apologize for wasting anyone's time, but I thought it might be a good way to communicate those indispensable nuggets of "truth" that beginners would do well to heed.

JoAnn Peeler, KK4FGF

Always ask yourself what you can do to give back to the community, even if it's simply something you know.....it always pays forward, even if you never find out.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 12:42:04 AM »

iv. Standard phonetics are appropriate when needed, where cutesy slang and codes from another service are not. Ever.

I agree about 'cutesy slang'. But the problem with the ITU phonetic alphabet is that it lacks syllabic redundancy for weak signals. Remember that it came from NATO requirements in the 1940s, where the major consideration was speed and use by people with strong accents while not speaking their native language. Under very poor SNR conditions, many of the words can be confused because the voiced energy is low. It was this which led to the 1930's international phonetic alphabet of Amsterdam, Baltimore, Casablanca etc, although using Xanthippe (pronounced Zantippy as near as I can get) assumed to some extent that the other operator knew who Xanthippe was! (She was the wife of Socrates, the ancient Greek philosopher, who, having had an argument with him, is reputed to have emptied a chamber pot over his head!)

The VHF SSB DXers back in the 1980s, found the lack of syllabic redundancy in the ITU alphabet a problem under very weak signal conditions and started using longer words to get around this. On the other hand, when signals have a 'decent' SNR, the ITU alphabet has the advantaged of brevity and is widely known. In the digital world, for poor SNR conditions, we add Forward Error Correction and check sums to provide redundancy - longer words on telephony do the same. This is basic communications theory.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: