The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Universal Good Ideas in Ham Radio  (Read 2064 times)
AD8CC

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2018, 05:25:08 AM »

Those 1st 2 are great - with one modification to the first.  :-)

i. You should join your local amateur radio club, unless it's full of politics and drama that you don't want to deal with. In that case find a different club.

I haven't experienced it, but I've read some stories that are an embarrassment to the community ... alas a problem with all types of clubs.

This.  I've found that every town has a club, ...and then another club which has split off from the first club due to drama.  There will be 2 'main' repeaters in a given area, and depending on which "local big-shot" you come to know first in the hobby, you will gain both friends and enemies just by using it.  This is why $20 baofengs are probably the only VHF radios worth buying, because that's really all the value that VHF FM has to offer, at least in the US in this era.  Personally, I just stay far away from local ham scenes, and just dah and dit to other locales when I feel like it.

So I would modify # 1 to:

"1. Avoid your local clubs at all costs, unless you want to immediately be discouraged from the hobby."
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2018, 05:55:19 AM »

Those 1st 2 are great - with one modification to the first.  :-)

i. You should join your local amateur radio club, unless it's full of politics and drama that you don't want to deal with. In that case find a different club.

I haven't experienced it, but I've read some stories that are an embarrassment to the community ... alas a problem with all types of clubs.

This.  I've found that every town has a club, ...and then another club which has split off from the first club due to drama.  There will be 2 'main' repeaters in a given area, and depending on which "local big-shot" you come to know first in the hobby, you will gain both friends and enemies just by using it.  This is why $20 baofengs are probably the only VHF radios worth buying, because that's really all the value that VHF FM has to offer, at least in the US in this era.  Personally, I just stay far away from local ham scenes, and just dah and dit to other locales when I feel like it.

So I would modify # 1 to:

"1. Avoid your local clubs at all costs, unless you want to immediately be discouraged from the hobby."

Believe it or not that is not 100% true. But yes I have seen it first hand and know what you are talking about. If there are clubs that are competing, use it to your advantage. Don't join either but say you are looking to join one or the other and use both repeaters at will. Make it known you will not get into discussions why the other club is bad and only want to hear about the positives of the clubs. Just string them along as the repeaters are open. I joined a club once. That was to gain access to the only phone patch on a repeater in the area. Yes this was in the pre cell phone days.

some people are like slinky's. not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2018, 07:01:52 AM »

Our local 2m repeater merely sends its call every few minutes - there is very little use made of it now compared with fifteen years ago. Listening to Durango CO machine three years ago, it was much the same.
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2018, 08:22:04 AM »

I live near a repeater that has great coverage but is rarely used. It is owned by an individual that is the most common user. No club to worry about and he loves for people to use his repeater. There are a couple of regulars that use it in the morning during the morning drive time. Good group and welcoming as can be. There are club repeaters in the area where it is hit or miss. The owner of the Crawford GA machine has it right.

some people are like slinky's. not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2018, 12:48:25 PM »

I offered locals free use on my 180' tower for repeaters on 6, 70, 33, and 23cm. No club, just individual efforts to get it done.

Even with the antennas on top of the highest hill in ~20-25 miles activity was mostly commuting and then silent. All gone for about 20 years. Great range all the way into Boston and the surrounding hi tech business towns up into Manchester, Worcester, Seacoast, and beyond.

Carl
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2018, 10:33:22 AM »

Universal good idea for a new ham.
Listen to the bands. Get a feel for it before jumping in.
Yes this can be done even before you get your license.
Look for the areas you might want to get into.
There is something for most in Ham Radio.

KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2018, 11:17:55 AM »

Remember that it is a hobby. Remember we are called Amateurs.  Remember if a new person makes a mistake do not rag on him. Remember keep it real. Nuff said.. Everyone please be safe and Enjoy the rest of the holidays. 73s
K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2018, 03:18:13 PM »

Remember Pearl Harbor. Remember the Alamo. Remember to wear clean underwear. While you are at it, Try to remember the kind of September....
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2018, 01:08:24 PM »

Remember Pearl Harbor. Remember the Alamo. Remember to wear clean underwear. While you are at it, Try to remember the kind of September....

Remember to wipe before leaving the Crapper. Remember no job is complete until the paper work is complete

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: