The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't throw out the Sure 444  (Read 463 times)
G3TSO

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2018, 04:16:35 AM »

I have seen a few forums making reference to using the Shure 444 with modern radios and many have concluded that the early High Impedance model is no good with modern radios.
I have to disagree, the Shure 444 that I purchased new, back in the early 1970s has been used with just about every base station I have had since then. Its an excellent mic and all it requires to match the modern Low Impedance designs is a FET Source Follower in the base of the Mic. I published the design on my website some years ago. https://www.qsl.net/g3tso/Homebrew%20444.html
I currently use an Icom 7300 and the Shure 444 works perfectly
Mike
G3TSO/KD3CL/F4VRA
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:20:25 AM by G3TSO » Logged
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 05:42:55 AM »

I have seen a few forums making reference to using the Shure 444 with modern radios and many have concluded that the early High Impedance model is no good with modern radios.
For ham use, I prefer a microphone that doesn't require me to keep my mouth in a particular location/orientation, and one that doesn't take up valuable desk real estate between me and my radio gear. That means, I use only a headset. It doesn't take up ANY desk real estate, and is ALWAYS in the right position/orientation.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 06:10:58 AM »

I use a Shure 450, which looks identical and has switchable high/low impedance by virtue of a small transformer in the base.  I also use a small equalizer and isolate the condenser phantom voltage from it.

Some of us like the sound of true dynamic elements, and like to "push to talk" on the desk.  Headsets of any kind create fatigue after a while.  And, then there's either fumble for the PTT switch on the cable or the "don't breathe too hard" or "dog-bark" VOX to contend with.

ICOM radios tend to require a tad higher mic output level than do Kenwoods, at least true of the TS-940, so hence the mic phantom powered equalizer-preamp.
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 06:38:26 AM »

I use a Shure 450, which looks identical and has switchable high/low impedance by virtue of a small transformer in the base.  I also use a small equalizer and isolate the condenser phantom voltage from it.

Some of us like the sound of true dynamic elements, and like to "push to talk" on the desk.  Headsets of any kind create fatigue after a while.  And, then there's either fumble for the PTT switch on the cable or the "don't breathe too hard" or "dog-bark" VOX to contend with.

ICOM radios tend to require a tad higher mic output level than do Kenwoods, at least true of the TS-940, so hence the mic phantom powered equalizer-preamp.
I get that...
My headset has TWO so-called "true" dynamic elements in it that get me lots of unsolicited "great audio" reports.
I can wear a headset for only SEVERAL hours at a time.
I have several ways of controlling my rig's T/R "PTT" input...
  1) T/R switch on the rig
  2) Homebrew pushbutton on a short cord
  3) Footswitch
  4) In addition to CW outputs, my WinKeyer USB keyer has two PTT outputs (for SO2R contesting). The PTT outputs also function for voice with my PC logger/DVK.
  5) Because of this, VOX isn't needed.

Space on the desk between me and the rig isn't wasted. But, just for grins, I bought a unidirectional dynamic microphone, and mounted it on a boom. Desk real estate isn't wasted but, like a desk microphone, I still have to hold my face/mouth in one location/position for it to sound well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: