The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neigbor Compliant MUST Read This ONE  (Read 9237 times)
W9RTB

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2018, 09:36:04 AM »

This is an email I got this morning. The antenna is a vertical 31', no amp. Up for  12 yrs  with HOA approval
How would you handle this? She is hearing broadcast stations not ham transmission.
See below
Randy
W9RTB

Asking as a neighbor. Will you be so kind as to take down your large antenna at Night? And please use between Business house of 9am-7pm.
When you both where away. I heard no music or broadcast from other places/countries. I actually got to sleep thru the night!!!
It is very disruptive of sleep. Somehow this is transmitting thru our home!  We have now confirmed it is not our neighbor downstairs.
These are the hours I have noted the music/radio other country language, since you have been back from your vacation:
Sat: 11/3/18 2am-4am                                                                                                                                   

6:30am

Sun:11/4/18  2am-

Mon: 11/5/18 8:30-10:30pm

Tues: 11/6/18 3am-4:00am

You know I have been asking you about this for 2 years now. And I have researched many aspects. So we are asking nicely and don't want you not to use your radio but just on business hours. This is a residential neighborhood.

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 09:57:12 AM »

Actually it is up to the neighbor to prove it is from you.

But...you can nicely point out we don't broadcast music on ham radio, and if you only know English, that would rule out other languages.

Also keep a log of when you are on the air. If the times and dates don't match, it's not you either.

Just keep it friendly and let them do the work. But always try to assist if they ask.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
W9RTB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 10:05:13 AM »

Here is the strange thing. She is not RX any signals through anything in her home ie. radio tv etc.
Randy
W6BP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 10:41:08 AM »

Here is the strange thing. She is not RX any signals through anything in her home ie. radio tv etc.
Randy

She's hearing broadcast stations, but not from a radio or TV? Does she think the sound is coming from your house? And what has she been talking to you about for the last two years?
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 10:51:45 AM »

Poltergeist??
Art
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 10:56:10 AM »

OK I guess we are entering the twilight zone then. LOL
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 11:06:20 AM by W9FIB » Logged

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
WA9AFM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 10:59:13 AM »

On first reading, English does not appear to be your neighbor's first language or their composition skills are weak.

However, present a copy of the sections of Part 97 which prohibit transmitting music and broadcasting to the general public.  As mentioned, copy of your log would also be help.  Plan on being told you fabricated them.

Sounds like a high power/night time directional AM station is getting into the home's intercom, if there is one installed.
NR9R

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 11:28:10 AM »

Maybe I'm some sort of crazy person, but I would speak to my neighbor and help her find the source of the signal.  It sounds like she has some powered speakers or an AM/FM radio that is picking up a nearby broadcast station.  She might not even realize where the noise is coming from and it could be as simple as telling her to power off the device.
W9RTB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 11:58:16 AM »

I replied back with one question to her.

Me:
 What are you hearing it through?

Neighbor Reply:

I hear it thru the walls

N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 12:14:54 PM »

At a previous QTH, I installed a 40 foot tower with a TH6, A Cushcraft A3WS, and a 2M vertical.   The cables terminated at the top of the tower, so I could remove antenna without taking the entire run of coax off the tower.   I bagged the cables and left them there for a few weeks.   The tower was installed per an approved permit from the township. 

It didn't take long until the next door neighbor complained that I was causing TVI.   I took him out to the tower, pointed to the cables moving in the wind, and said "nothing is connected."    He turned around, walked away, and that was the last I heard from him.   

----------

My suggestion to the OP is to remove the coax from the antenna for a few weeks (but do not remove the antenna) and see if your neighbor is still hearing things. 

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
K1GUY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 12:16:07 PM »

I would talk with the neighbors's husband....this may solve the problem.  A very sad case.   Poor woman.  
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 01:49:02 PM »

I'm sure if she called Coast to Coast Radio she could obtain a good explanation....
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 02:56:29 PM »

I notice she has a downstairs neighbor. That is a likely source if the sounds are coming through the walls. Hearing music and other languages through a computer speaker or intercom isn't something that would likely be caused by your transmitter. Perhaps she could arrange to get you over there to hear it sometime when it is happening.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
W9RTB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 03:24:24 PM »

Been down that road with her trying to narrow it down for the entire summer. The HOA president even came over at 10PM when called by her to hear it, nothing. Her husband even admitted he hears nothing. So it stays up and not going down.

KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 04:29:41 PM »

May be its the Aliens?

Offer to drive her to 750 S State St, Elgin, as they have the special radio detectors that she needs. Tell her husband that you'll drive her for $20. He may be willing to pay you much, much more.

klc
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:35:54 PM by KB2WIG » Logged

EXTRALight  1/3 less WPM than a Real EXTRA
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: