The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten-Tec  (Read 4747 times)
DL8OV

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2018, 09:43:24 AM »

You know the scene, it's been shown countless times on TV, the doctors try their best to save a patient but then the person in charge looks up and says 'I'm calling it, patient dead at 12:05.

Well, nobody put me in charge but I'm calling it anyway, Ten-Tec is dead on the table.

1) The web pages have not been updated for well over a year.

2) The 'store' on the web page shows twelve items and only one of those is a ham transceiver.

3) It's impossible to purchase an Eagle, an Omni or an Argonaut, even direct from the factory.

4) The last news update was in February 2017 when we were shown some pictures of PCB production and one image of a large shed with no sign above the door.

5) Although Ten-Tec did have a stand at Xenia I understand that it was nothing special and they had very little to sell apart from microphones.

6) Searching at HRO, Hamcity, Gigaparts and Universal Radio shows only second hand items and microphone cables

As a Ten-Tec rig owner I mourn their passing, but they're gone.

Peter DL8OV
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 10:11:16 AM »

Blah Blah Blah...  TT is still servicing ham gear. Still selling commercial gear.  Go buy an Icom or a Kenwood.  What good is this continued Ten Tec bashing???  The old Ten Tec is dead.  Whatever comes from the new owner will happen or not... but the new company is still there.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 10:28:12 AM »

Blah Blah Blah...  TT is still servicing ham gear. Still selling commercial gear.  Go buy an Icom or a Kenwood.  What good is this continued Ten Tec bashing???  The old Ten Tec is dead.  Whatever comes from the new owner will happen or not... but the new company is still there.

Amen!
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 12:12:24 PM »

I also agree. It is what it is. But it is not dead. Just different. Just like some other brands from the past.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 08:59:50 PM »

I also agree. It is what it is. But it is not dead. Just different. Just like some other brands from the past.

I agree, just like Hallicrafters, Harvey Wells, Henry, Drake, Swan, SBE, Galaxy, Gonset, Hammarlund, National, Knight, Cubic, Astro, Signal One, Collins, Allied, Lafeyette,  and at least a dozen others.  Yep, you nailed it,  just like them.

They are now classic boat anchors.
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 04:44:14 AM »

Domestic commercial and government contracts net far more profits than selling competitive amateur radio gear to the tightwads.
It is a smart manufacturing business move and is probably the only way to assure their survival.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 08:08:25 AM »

Domestic commercial and government contracts net far more profits than selling competitive amateur radio gear to the tightwads.
It is a smart manufacturing business move and is probably the only way to assure their survival.

No one can dispute that commercial and government contracts are money makers compared to ham radio.  There are thousands of small electronics companies in the US that do commercial and military contract work either directly, or by subbing to larger companies on contract, and they don't make amateur radio equipment either. 

Alas, this is an amateur radio forum so we don't really care about companies who make commercial equipment. 

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 02:10:07 PM »

Alas, this is an amateur radio forum so we don't really care about companies who make commercial equipment. 

Got a mouse in your pocket? Cause you don't speak for everyone with that "we". Some may not care, but it is arrogant to speak for everyone.

73, Stan
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 04:35:59 PM »

I think Ten Tec owners are happy that the factory service exists.  Muddling through an Omni V is easy peasey, but you want an expert working on your Orion.  And, they are selling Rebels, so I guess that means they are still selling ham gear.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 08:00:56 PM »

If you have an Orion, Eagle, or Omni 7, are there other repair shops that will service them also?  If so, what are some of the most recommended one?

73 John AF5CC
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 09:05:45 PM »

If you have an Orion, Eagle, or Omni 7, are there other repair shops that will service them also?  If so, what are some of the most recommended one?

73 John AF5CC

Here are a few John, there are others, and many are less expensive and they do just as good of a job.

http://www.amateurradiorepair.biz/

http://www.affordableradiorepair.com/

http://hamradio.repair/

http://hamrepair.com/

https://www.mcveyelectronics.com/

http://www.w4bbn.com/

Here are a bunch more. https://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Shopping_and_Services/Radio_Equipment_Repair/

There are a lot of small businesses that repair amateur radio. 

As for the Orion, some of the parts for them are unobtainium and no ne can repair them if the parts can't be found.  A lot of hams have sold them for that very reason.

KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 09:44:08 PM »

I think Ten Tec owners are happy that the factory service exists.  Muddling through an Omni V is easy peasey, but you want an expert working on your Orion.  And, they are selling Rebels, so I guess that means they are still selling ham gear.

http://www.hfsignals.com/  No jumpers, tunes 3 to 30 MHZ, 10 watts output, great receiver, best of all, a hundred bucks cheaper.
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 09:39:12 AM »

I admire the tenacity of those who replied, however I have yet to see anybody provide a reasonable explanation for the points I raised. Ten-Tec may be producing commercial equipment but their amateur radio range of transceivers are now outdated and unavailable for purchase. To their credit they are still servicing the rigs that they sold, but once the custom parts such as LCD displays are used up this arm of the business will also shut up shop.

Peter DL8OV

KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 09:55:57 AM »

I admire the tenacity of those who replied, however I have yet to see anybody provide a reasonable explanation for the points I raised. Ten-Tec may be producing commercial equipment but their amateur radio range of transceivers are now outdated and unavailable for purchase. To their credit they are still servicing the rigs that they sold, but once the custom parts such as LCD displays are used up this arm of the business will also shut up shop.

Peter DL8OV

What's your point?

You consider Ten-Tec gone.

Others do not.

So?  Huh
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 09:58:22 AM »

Peter DL8OV

What's your point?

You consider Ten-Tec gone.

Others do not.

So?  Huh

Well put!

73, Stan
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: