The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten-Tec  (Read 5683 times)
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2018, 12:39:56 AM »

Phone system is not obsolete yet.

That is so 20th Century. Yuck.

Don't have a modern phone then? Poor excuse for laziness.

Besides, your a ham...talk to someone.

What good is a phone?  Who are you going to call?

Here is the contact page, do you see a phone number anywhere?

https://www.tentec.com/?page_id=12

No phone number.

Well I found a number in .13 seconds on google. But apparently they no longer want to talk to people anymore as the listed number says its no longer in service. Oh well. Guess Mike got sick of people calling and telling him how to run HIS business. Can't say I blame him. Too many armchair CEOs out there.

Your post doesn't even make sense since I very seriously doubt that anyone called and told him how to run his business. 
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2018, 03:02:46 AM »

Your post doesn't even make sense since I very seriously doubt that anyone called and told him how to run his business. 

Of course it doesn't make sense to those who claim the company is dead. Dead because Mike doesn't follow a particular line of thinking or others perceived business models.

Maybe you didn't call him John, but I am sure others did. I can't find the post, but Mike said he got calls way too often early after the takeover. It's natural for some to tell others how to run their business. If it were not so, there would be no controversy in these TT threads. It is also natural that some that did call would be the loudest deniers that they did. Just as many are the loudest detractors in these threads.

The good part is at least emails can be deleted unread where phone calls waste time. As I said, I can't blame him.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2018, 04:15:56 AM »

Looks like TT is really busy....(LOL)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z6nrFpLRS4

oldie but goodie
W5JON

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2018, 09:53:12 AM »

Hi,

Sounds about right to me . A "Amateur Radio company", that has no phone number to take orders, no sales department to take orders, no products to sell, no advertising, no distribution, an old web site with no products to order, has not made any Amateur Radios in years,  but says they "HOPE" to have TRIAL run of an Amateur Radio product soon.   No thank you....

John
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:01:57 AM by W5JON » Logged
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2018, 10:41:51 AM »

Sounds about right to me . A "Amateur Radio company", that has no phone number to take orders, no sales department to take orders, no products to sell, no advertising, no distribution, an old web site with no products to order, has not made any Amateur Radios in years,  but says they "HOPE" to have TRIAL run of an Amateur Radio product soon.   No thank you....

Well this thread is so active I decided to take a look at their products, such as they are, as sort of an uninterested party with no particular bias. The Ten-Tec website has a slide show of products which are presented in such a shoddy manner I'd personally never consider any of them. If you look at the pictures they are just awful photography, the "top-of-the-line" radio looks like it has dust sprinkled all over it, the QRP Transceiver Kit - Model 1380 looks like a 6th grader scanned it in on a 1990's scanner.

The parent company is who? Dishtronix? I went to that site via the link on their page, and it shows two ham products a +$10,000 amp  Shocked and a wattmeter ... which is no longer produced -

"THIS PRODUCT IS DISCONTINUED DUE TO THEFT OF THE PRODUCT BY THE TAIWANESE SUBCONTRACTOR.
ANY “NEW” METERS FOR SALE AFTER 2008 ARE PIRATE COPIES AND NOT ELIGIBLE FOR DISHTRONIX WARRANTY SERVICE"

http://www.dishtronix.com/wattmeter.html

Not impressive.

I hope they can survive but they won't get much business with such unprofessional marketing.  Roll Eyes

Help out the Club Log QSL Card Tagging Project - Tag DX QSL Cards
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2018, 06:15:35 AM »

Well Mike is trying to rebuild the business with limited capital and that is difficult. He seems to be successful with producing commercial radios. Going forward he is going to have much difficulty re-entering the amateur market. The radio designs are now old and no longer competitive with the radios from Flex and Elecraft.

The crowd (and I am in that crowd) that bought from TenTec in the past, bought from them because they were an American manufacturer, had repair services at a reasonable cost, and frankly they were really good radios and were not that difficult to operate like the Japanese radio with their complicated and at time confusing menus systems.

I think the TenTec crowd for the most part has moved onto Flex and Elecraft. Flex has really stolen the show now with their new radios sporting front panels. If I were in the market for another HF transceiver right now, it would be a Flex for sure.

At this point I think it is a waste of time for Mike and TenTec to produce "upgraded" Eagle or Omni radios. The only thing that I see working is a new SDR design that will build excitement and get people to take a look at the new TenTec.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2018, 06:52:09 AM »

Hi,

John

AMEN & AMEN! They were a Bad Joke when they were in Tennessee.I went in & looked around & it was like a ghost town.One guy in the entire place & he could not even answer most questions.I was no longer wondering why they were failing once I spent that 45 minutes or so there.I have been playing radio since 1965 & I have never seen anything quiet like the TEN-TEC headquarters & I knew then I would never waste my time or money on anything they build.No wonder they could not produce or work on a piece of gear when there was nobody around to do it.Even the crank up tower outside with the TH-7 yagi was cranked all the way down & looking as if it had seen much better days long ago.Just what I want is to purchase a piece of gear & have an issue & no way of contacting the company for repairs or better yet nobody to work on it if I sent it back.

Clayton
W4KVW
WD0BCT

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2018, 09:32:53 AM »

I had a Ten Tec Triton IV purchased new.  I thought it was a wonderfull transceiver.  The company was well then (1977) and many products followed.  Smiley
I think Ten Ten was having problems long before it quit producing.  New ownership and relocation was a noble attempt at keeping the name and production alive.  So far it does not appear to be going anywhere and with the current state of affairs in the amateur marketplace I don't imagine it will.  A number of things would have to happen before Ten Ten could become a successful amateur market producer.  Like Judy Tenuda used to say "IT COULD HAPPEN!"  The reality is "not very probable".  Sad

A business can be alive but if not profitable it won't be around for long.  And electronic gear production here in the states has always been "borderline"....pun intended.  We specialize in ideas not nuts and bolts production.  What production remains is often niche oriented however....and amateur radio is a niche.  Cool

AK4YH

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2018, 01:20:48 AM »

What Ten Tec should do is go back to basics, produce a simple quality kit, not try to come back to the level of Elecraft of Flex. Elecraft has practically left the kit business with the demise of the KX1 and K1. Well, they still sell the K2 kit, but for how long? But the kit business is what brought them to where they are now...

Gil.

KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2018, 05:15:51 AM »

I have fun building kits, project prototyping, and tinkering. I have built Eico, Heath, Radio Shack, Ten-Tec, MFJ, home-brews, etc. kits, but the old days of 'basics' are pretty much gone.

The problem with electronic hobby kits nowadays in that the through-hole circuit board technology is so 20th century. Ten-Tec has heavily invested in SMT, multi-layer circuit board technology.
 SMT does not lend itself to easy kit-building or service at home without special tools. ESD controls and lead-free solder are other workbench considerations that must be taken into account.
 I know that this doesn't apply to all of you, as some of you have advanced service facilities at home.

Household voltages can be hazardous. Most kits are battery-operated so there is little chance of bodily harm. We live in an increasingly litigious society. Death or injury just cannot be chanced for a responsible corporate entity. It is sad, but it is the way things are now.

The manufacturer can only control product quality under their own roof. Vendors and suppliers are vetted and under constant scrutiny. Variability in kit-builders assembly skills and other things that are out of Ten-Tec's control, may come back to hurt their reputation if the kit-builder claims that their poor results is the fault of the company and not them.

Kits that are returned for service or warranty repair can be a real headache for the technical service staff. As long as a factory-manufactured product returns with its tamper seals intact, they can honor any agreements or adjustments. Otherwise, no.
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2018, 08:09:03 AM »

I find it amazing that hams still bash the new startup company based on their opinions of a defunct company that no longer exists.

If Mike ever runs a production line of new Ten Tecs ham rigs,  it will never be to the satisfaction of the haters.  They will hate the design, the packaging, or bash based on whatever trivia they can dredge. 

Personally, I am happy the legacy lives on to some extend, even if commercial in nature.  There is always the chance that they will do more in the ham field besides the Rebel, which is still being sold.

By the way,  besides Elecraft and Flex, there is also the made in the USA  DZ Sienna transceiver, which is available as a kit.  Expensive radio, a small one man company, an excellent product, and still in business.  DZ is probably comparable to what Ten Tec could become.   

N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2018, 09:14:07 AM »

I have owned TT equipment and it was top shelf.  These days it is very hard to compete with the big three.  If Mike puts a new ham radio on the market and hopes to sell more than a few it probably should have lots of bling and also be super competitive price wise. 
Art
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2018, 01:40:47 PM »

Maybe somebody with engineering talent could design a direct sampling sdr that does qsk like the Ten Tec radios of yore? Said individual could team up with Ten Tec and let them cobble it into a box with great ergonomics. More than a few might find their way into our hamshacks...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
AK4YH

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2018, 02:08:09 PM »

SMT does not lend itself to easy kit-building

I disagree. I have built a few Weber designs, all SMT, and in many ways find it easier than through-hole. I have built them with a fine-tip soldering iron, no special tools. The ICs are not easy, but soldering anything else is a breeze. People fear SMT because it's new, but it isn't much harder than through-hole.

Gil.

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2018, 02:14:52 PM »

SMT does not lend itself to easy kit-building

I disagree. I have built a few Weber designs, all SMT, and in many ways find it easier than through-hole. I have built them with a fine-tip soldering iron, no special tools. The ICs are not easy, but soldering anything else is a breeze. People fear SMT because it's new, but it isn't much harder than through-hole.

Gil.

When you have shaky hands like I do, SMT is a PITA to work on. While it is great for some, it's not great for all.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: