The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vet need help  (Read 1825 times)
W4AUE

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2018, 08:24:57 PM »

A Coast Guardsman (retired) is stranded (hospitalized) in Athens Greece and needs help getting home for effective treatment. Some kind of blood problem that is not responding to antibiotics. Request for help came out over the weekly Coast Guard Ham radio net on 14.300 mhz. Sat.

I don't have any details but do have a contact. I don't think this is any kinda scam, but can't be sure. I've worked with this group of Hams for years. They have helped a lot of boaters over the years - most are members of the Maritime Mobile Service Net - a radio watch group on the same freq. (If you are an active offshore boater you should be aware of this group)

Came to me that somebody here on CSR might have a contact (military, commercial or charity) or a bright idea on how to help get this Vet home. Space available on Military Medivac flight would be ideal! Probably just need to get this in front of the right people - but I don't know who to contact.
Thanks
Larry
ref http://www.w5cgc.org/

Update - Whole story is here https://www.gofundme.com/help-bring-ted-home

W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 12:12:48 AM »

Seems like the US consulate would get him home.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 12:16:58 AM by W4AMP » Logged
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 06:00:08 PM »

It seems Ive heard that tale before...scam?Huh

Carl
G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 03:20:52 AM »

I'm not sure this is a scam, after a bit of investigating I think it's Ted Davis W6VXP

It is the same picture of Ted as his QRZ page as on the fund raising page

You can just see his callsign behind him on his fund raising page.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 03:26:03 AM by G4LNA » Logged

N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 06:16:55 AM »

I'd have to go with this.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 06:46:04 AM »

Surely the people to contact are the Consular Section of the US Embassy in Athens at 91 Vasilisis Sophias Ave,  10160 Athens, Greece
 Phone: (30)-210-721-2951
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 07:34:51 AM »

I'd have to go with this.

I agree if its legit they should help...

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 08:17:49 AM »

I agree that the consulate should and do help, but they don't pay medical bills, that's what travel insurance is for. It is the same in the for a British national abroad and needs to be repatriated, the consulate will try and help, but they can't pay for any medical or repatriation costs.

I'm not sure how it works in the US but just checking one of the travel polices from one of the major companies here and they have medical emergency and repatriation cover of £10,000,000.

They say on the fund raising page the the insurance company will not cover the costs of repatriation, they don't say why, we can only guess because we don't know the full story here, apart from the family want to get the poor old boy back.

KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 11:01:52 AM »

OK, so it sounds legit but the procedures are still not fully believable. That GFM photo sure doesnt look like a cruise line cabin either.

Id say its time for a US Congressman or Senator to get involved. Maybe President Trump will send his private Boeing 757 over.
If all fails ask Vladimir Putin to fly him home which would sure create an interesting media event.

Carl
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 11:51:20 AM »

When I went to Belarus for a CEPT meeting, there's an agreement between the UK and Belarus for free medical treatment for each other's citizens. People without a UK issued Visa (which happens to cover citizens of Eire, since they get their Visas through the London Belarusian embassy) have to pay 1€ for health insurance while there. I still made sure my health insurance covered me!

A friend who had a pacemaker fitted while in New Orleans the other year had his UK insurance company tell him that 'they may be after $200,000, but after we have argued, they will settle for a lot less'.... The pacemaker has a 400 MHz telemetry radio in it: I did the systems engineering on that radio, so he owes me enough to help me with antenna work!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 12:49:57 PM »

OK, so it sounds legit but the procedures are still not fully believable. That GFM photo sure doesnt look like a cruise line cabin either.

Id say its time for a US Congressman or Senator to get involved. Maybe President Trump will send his private Boeing 757 over.
If all fails ask Vladimir Putin to fly him home which would sure create an interesting media event.

Carl

If he's a vet the US Military has transports flying everyday from bases overseas to stateside. They used to call them "Nightengales" and they were DC9's back then with a impressive safety record,  not sure what they are flying now. 

K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 02:16:16 PM »

Folks NEVER EVER leave the confines of the US without purchasing travel insurance, and that included Medicare recipients. It is DIRT cheap and will either get you treated or get you home, including having a loved one fly over and get you.

Never try to deal with Medicare from your insurer and trying to get hospitals in other country's  paid from them.  GET travel insurance.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 02:33:38 PM »

Folks NEVER EVER leave the confines of the US without purchasing travel insurance, and that included Medicare recipients. It is DIRT cheap and will either get you treated or get you home, including having a loved one fly over and get you.

Never try to deal with Medicare from your insurer and trying to get hospitals in other country's  paid from them.  GET travel insurance.

We always do when we cruise..

KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 06:42:57 PM »

We always do when we cruise..

We fly. Last trip was Boston to Istanbul on a Turkish Airlines Airbus A380, the newest and biggest and the smoothest ride Ive ever taken. The second hop was on a much smaller Boeing 737 to Slovenia and then we toured the area and then stayed in Montenegro for 10 days enjoying the Adriatic Sea....My middle son and his Russian GF live there.

The return A380 trip was just as smooth and the whole Turkish Airlines experience was fantastic.

Carl
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 07:49:00 PM »

We fly. Last trip was Boston to Istanbul on a Turkish Airlines Airbus A380, the newest and biggest and the smoothest ride Ive ever taken.

One of my daughters flew to Thailand last year on Qatar airlines and was on a brand new A350 for long leg over and back and a A380 from Qatar to Thailand and back. She liked 350 better. The 350 is the first aircraft to not only hold a higher internal pressure (5000 feet vs 8000 feet) but also the first to control humidity as well as other planes get very low in humidity on long flights. They claim higher cabin pressure and higher humidity reduces fatigue/jet lag on long flights. Would of liked to of had a 350 for the 24+ hours I spent on a plane going to Hawaii last month (little over 12+ going and just under 12 coming back) Fortunately none of that time was spent on 737's my least favorite plane.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: