The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shack wiring upgrade advice requested  (Read 1018 times)
KD0ZGW

Ignore
« on: November 12, 2018, 06:21:43 PM »

Recent room addition gave me the opportunity to have a sub panel professionally installed in the basement room with my radios.
Added room is fed from the sub panel which just happens to have a lot of extra room.  Panel has (2) 15A 220 and several 20A 110v. unused breakers.

A post here a couple of years ago advised me to make the wall penetration for feedlines much larger than current needs.  I did and it turned out
to be great advice so I thought advice on the wiring upgrade might similarly improve my efforts.

Current set up is everything (2 computers, 12v power supply, 100w rig, 600w amp, 2 rotators) running off a single existing house wiriing 20A circuit.

Right now my plan is to add a 15A 220 outlet which will be power for a future full legal amp and a 2nd 20A 110 outlet for my auto band switching
600w. amp and the 12v power supply.  remainder would stay on the existing circuit.

I can't really see where I'd need more than that is I'll never be operating more than 1 set up at a time even if I eventually put together a dedicated
set-up for low band as I hope to do.

that's it.  Advice appreciated.

KD0ZGW 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 03:27:07 AM »

Right now my plan is to add a 15A 220 outlet which will be power for a future full legal amp and a 2nd 20A 110 outlet for my auto band switching
600w. amp and the 12v power supply.  remainder would stay on the existing circuit.

You are right on track. Some may say you need a bigger 230 v circuit but I have run my amp on a 15 amp 230 volt circuit for over 25 years. When you had second 110/120v circuit make sure it is feed from other side of 230 feeding sub panel to balance load and give better overall regulation.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 04:28:36 AM »

I just got done with an electrical upgrade to my shack as well, and have two 20A circuits for the radio bench, one for the workbench, and one for the computer desk.  One 220 circuit for an amp, but I've never owned an amp so it's just a blank plate for now.  No way I'd ever task one much less four circuits for what I'm running but the wires are in the walls and the breakers in the panel.  I also put in multiple quad outlet boxes with one side hot and the other side switched with the on/off switch by the door, so that for some things I want to turn on/off at once when I enter/leave the room I can do it in one shot.  Good advice by JX to split the loads across the phases, and I would add the "critical" equipment be put on the phase you would/do connect your emergency generator to (my generator input only connects to one phase).

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 06:17:18 AM »

I would add the "critical" equipment be put on the phase you would/do connect your emergency generator to (my generator input only connects to one phase).

If you use a 230v generator it is not a problem. I have a well that has a 230v pump and I moved is feed to sub panel and have a changeover device that hooks up generator to sub panel and I have critical circuits on it. Much easier than trying to feed house house and balancing load on legs if you go not have a REALLY big generator.

KD0ZGW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 07:00:57 AM »

Thx for replies.  Never thought about generator hook up issues.  Thx.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 07:30:38 AM »

Thx for replies.  Never thought about generator hook up issues.  Thx.

I do not think that many realize that say a 5000 watt 240v generator is actually more like two 120v 2500 watt units in that you cannot draw more than 2500 watts out on each 120v leg. Hence the reason to load balancing on a 240v generator. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: