The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going to pick up a antenna analyzer comet 500 or RigExpert AA 55 zoom  (Read 489 times)
KM6XP

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2018, 11:22:00 PM »

Like the fact the comet had VHF and UHF coverage and meters and LCD.  Any final thoughts, pro/cons?

VK6HP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 12:52:25 AM »

I would say it depends a bit on how, and where, you want to use it.  I have two analysers, for largely historical reasons. The traditional MFJ instrument has meters, along with a digital display of SWR, and the R and X values, the latter as an absolute value (unsigned quantity).  While it has UHF coverage, my second analyser, an AA35 Zoom, gets far more use - especially for HF wire antennas.  Its graphical display, computer interface and vector impedance readout (displaying the sign of the reactance), is really invaluable.

My only regret is that I didn't get the AA55 model.  I assumed that the HF model would have the Smith Chart display but, in the fine print, the RigExpert advertising does say that this feature is not enabled on the model below the AA55.  It's no big deal because the Smith Chart plots are still available via the accompanying software package.  But I would have happily spent the extra dollars to have the local Chart display if I'd been a bit more careful in reading the brochures.

By the way, you can easily enable an SWR "analog" meter on the RigExpert display, if you want.

Peter.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 01:00:43 AM by VK6HP » Logged
KM6XP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 11:52:19 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, ended up with the comet cca500 Mkii.  I really only need this for checking swr on HT antennas, but I really wanted the VHF and UHF capacity.  RigExpert aa600 at about $600 is just more than I want to spend.  I got a deal on a new Comet cca500 mkii for $339 out the door.  Something about analog meters I love.
KC9NVP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 10:56:12 AM »

I own a Comet CAA-500 MarkII and one of the reasons for purchasing it was the wide frequency range, 1.8 - 500 MHz, along with the color graphics display with an analog meter.  The graphic display comes in handy when adjusting an antenna as you can quickly see if the adjustment improved or made the SWR worst.

KM6XP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 11:44:01 AM »

I trust you have had no issues with the unit?  Looking forward to getting it delivered next.  I also picked up the soft case of it.  The VHF and UHF capacity was nice as I would like to check my antenna and perhaps start building some.
KC9NVP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 01:15:03 PM »

so far mine has been working fine with no issues.  One thing to be aware of and I suspect this is true of other antenna analyzer as well and not sure of the impact the soft sided case will have on the operation, I generally have to place the analyzer on a non-conductive surface and not touch the case when adjusting the frequency.  If I am holding it in my hands, my body will affect the reading since one side of the antenna is connected thru the connector to the case, thereby becoming part of the antenna under test.  I saw this also with the mfj analyzer that I used to own.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: