The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Goodbye Google  (Read 1879 times)
KC8KTN

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2018, 11:17:36 AM »

I am trying a new search engine.
www.duckduckgo.com
Good luck
Now I will probably find out google owns them..Jeeeezze
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 12:21:46 PM »

I tried duckduckgo, search results don't show dates. You have to click/open, only to realize it's 15 year old info.

So I went with Bing. Had to get away from go0gle and its AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages).
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 01:48:34 PM »

I've been using Duck as default on Firefox for 3 or 4 years on Linux, Windows and Android.

Ted, KX4OM
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 01:52:13 PM by KX4OM » Logged
NE1U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 02:50:15 PM »

It depends ... it depends on what I am looking for and/or how long it has been since I last used duck or Bing or Google. On rare occasion baidu which is very conservative. He!!s bells I even rotate in MS Edge.  Seriously, I do.
W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 09:46:25 PM »

I miss Alta Vista.

and 

WOW

K5CQB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 01:05:49 PM »

QWANT
LYFAN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 01:12:33 PM »

Giggle returns more results than DDG, but Giggle also records and datamines every keystroke you make. Including voice scans on the Giggle Assistant, messages on the GVoice phones, Gmail...incredibly comprehensive. And even when you can turn things off, that option is usually so well buried that you can't find it. And, regular updates tend to turn the datamining back on, even if you said "NO" on the last version.

DDG supposedly records nothing, and so far hasn't been caught at any of that.

Of course, most internet providers also record every IP address of every DNS request that you make, so they're keeping records of everyplace you go and datamining from that--unless you also use a DNS provider that keeps no records.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 01:58:22 PM »

ProtonVPN is available. They provide their own DNS and afaik encryption of the last mile. I tried them out at the local coffee shop where I will always get a man in the middle attack; not a problem at all. If google and all the other data miners don't know who/where you are they can't collect much info. Targeted advertising will be the tipoff I guess, so far I'm not seeing anything of the sort...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 02:20:21 PM »

Giggle returns more results than DDG, but Giggle also records and datamines every keystroke you make. Including voice scans on the Giggle Assistant, messages on the GVoice phones, Gmail...incredibly comprehensive. And even when you can turn things off, that option is usually so well buried that you can't find it. And, regular updates tend to turn the datamining back on, even if you said "NO" on the last version

I wonder how many that "worry" about Google use Facebook which is far worse about tracking than google. Facebook knows everywhere you go on web and keeps every chat you have had thru them. I have never had a FB account and never will and I block all FB scripts on web sites.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
PU2OZT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 02:40:40 PM »

QWANT

searx.me

CompuServe was great! ... in its days, thinking of it

Oliver
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 04:28:14 PM »

I remember using it. I recall using something before that but cannot remember name.

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 06:39:02 PM »

I remember using it. I recall using something before that but cannot remember name.

I used GEnie back in the mid/late 1980s, as well as various local BBSes, but once Al Gore invented the Internet, it was Compuserve for me, then AT&T Worldnet after AOHell bought out Compuserve. 

But once high speed Internet became available to me in 2000, I signed up immediately.  It cost only a few bucks ($40) more than AT&T Worldnet ($23) + the 2nd phone line ($12).

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 06:27:41 AM »

I use InBrowser, SwiftKey Keyboard and Bing. Do not use the voice typing as it utilizes Google Voice. Google Voice keeps recordings and a text description of ALL your typing/searches. That I find unnerving.
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2018, 09:05:17 AM »

I do a lot of searches and find that Google gives me the best links. I run the latest version of Google Chrome and have Adblocker Plus and Chrometana installed. I seldom see any advertisements. I can usually see anywhere from 10 to 200 ads being blocked. QRZ is a big site for blocked ads. Some sites complain when they see it, but I never allow it to be turned off. I guess there is nothing wrong with Bing, but I just never cared for it. Chrometana automatically redirects Bing searches to Google. Overall it works great.

I'm sure Google Chrome, like most of the other browsers, collects info on your site visits and searches. So I regularly throw away all my cookies and delete my browsing history. But then, I guess, they have a history of your history.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2018, 10:02:18 AM »

I used GEnie back in the mid/late 1980s, as well as various local BBSes, but once Al Gore invented the Internet, it was Compuserve for me, then AT&T Worldnet after AOHell bought out Compuserve. 

That was it, I used GEnie for several years before Compuserve. BTW The Internet was invented in 70's and was first between a few Universities then government got involved and started using it too. It went public in mid 90's.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: