The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Goodbye Google  (Read 1834 times)
KC1GCG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 10:17:01 PM »

I tried duck as the no tracking thing sounded good but the date thing and the overall results keeps me going back to google even though I dislike those punk butts that run it:) 
Now I was a big fan of Alta Vista but what about hotbot.com?
And compuserve? Wow I loved that site. Some of the forums were amazing. On the space forum I posted about my visit to the cape and how blown away I was by the Saturn V on display and Jesco von Puttkammer replied (google him-  or ddg him:) . That was pretty cool.
On another I wrote about my distant contribution to the shuttle program being the test tech who tested and calibrated a fiber optic temp measuring system Rockwell used in developing the heat shielding tiles and I got a reply from the then current payload manager for the shuttle program thanking me for my part in keeping his payloads cool. Dick Scobie used to post on there also....
Pretty cool stuff in its day....probably around the time we were marveling at the "high speed" 128k speed dial up we recently got.
And what about Netscape? Looks like Netflix is doing a series based on Netscape.
Pretty cool for those of us that lived before anything beeped at us but also got to see all this stuff be born and grow.....
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 02:54:22 AM »

I used GEnie back in the mid/late 1980s, as well as various local BBSes, but once Al Gore invented the Internet, it was Compuserve for me, then AT&T Worldnet after AOHell bought out Compuserve. 

That was it, I used GEnie for several years before Compuserve. BTW The Internet was invented in 70's and was first between a few Universities then government got involved and started using it too. It went public in mid 90's.

More than that, back then people ran bulletin boards (precursor to forums) that you needed the phone number to call into using a modem.  Each bulletin board had a different phone number to call, and yes, long distance rates did apply, so you had to know where you were calling unless you were phone freaking (fooling Ma Bell into believing you were calling from another number). Downloads at 300 baud took eons! Like forums, the bulletin boards were generally themed about a specific interest with a general topics area.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 02:48:18 PM »

I started with Arpanet in the late 70's thru Mitre and MIT-Lincoln Labs when I was in a very secure group at Sanders Associates working on a DoD/CIA project.

Slow and error recovery was almost nil via an acoustic 300 baud modem.

Carl
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2018, 04:46:24 PM »

CompuServe on an Atari 400, augmented to 48 Kb RAM and an old keyboard I rewired and connected to the 400 via db25s. Then AOL and finally after a road project shortened the cable, a blistering 384 kB dsl circuit. I’m one of the thousands who voted to open The Connected Internet to commercial use. I get paid to ride herd on 14 states’s worth of dsl and GPON and fix things. I adhere to a simple flowchart...find trouble, fix it. Don’t find trouble, make it :-D.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 03:08:19 AM »

CompuServe on an Atari 400, augmented to 48 Kb RAM and an old keyboard I rewired and connected to the 400 via db25s. Then AOL and finally after a road project shortened the cable, a blistering 384 kB dsl circuit. I’m one of the thousands who voted to open The Connected Internet to commercial use. I get paid to ride herd on 14 states’s worth of dsl and GPON and fix things. I adhere to a simple flowchart...find trouble, fix it. Don’t find trouble, make it :-D.

LOL - I owned a 400 for about two hours.  I took it back to the store and they let me trade it in on a 800.  I just couldn't live with that keyboard!  Losing data on bad cassette recorders drove me to disks too.  How incredibly far we've come.  Grin
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: