The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Term ham leaves negative impression  (Read 6911 times)
JAZZMAN

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2018, 04:15:45 PM »

What point were you trying to prove?
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2018, 04:33:21 PM »

Thanks for all the humorous responses that pretty well prove my points. Out of 600 reads there are at least half a dozen kooks living less than a hundred miles away. Yeah, you with the face.....

We aim to please

some people are like slinky's. not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
JAZZMAN

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2018, 04:46:23 PM »

No you dont you aim to hurt people and make them feel bad.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2018, 07:23:36 PM »

I thought for a minute you'd gotten a new screen name...
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2018, 05:09:46 AM »

Who is trying to hurt people?
Have a nice day Jazzman

some people are like slinky's. not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2018, 04:11:49 PM »

Grin Grin
When I tell people that I am a ham I allways hear is that like cb. Keeping in Real. Nuff said..
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2018, 05:32:01 PM »

I never tell anyone I am a ham because it leaves a negative impression. First of all people will suspect you will interfere with their television reception if you live nearby. Second the word implies a bent at best or a compulsion at worst and a non professional compulsion like a eccentric relative or neighbor who moved years ago unexpectedly

I just tell people I am a technician, engineer and will be down in the Covar Valley on a job.

I don't mention radio whatsoever because that opens up another can of worms....illegal operation, pirate radio, religious fanatic, political nut.

Never post as a ham online so everyone knows your home address. Think most hams are nice? You must be a newbie or deceived. Friends are only people you've know very well for a long time.

You will save much grief if you follow my advice.

Dave
Electrical engineer

https://i.postimg.cc/fRJWm2j2/107320-full.jpg

Nuff said..........
K6UJ
KD7YVV

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2018, 06:42:35 PM »

C'mon Dave,
Tell us how you REALLY feel.
There are sites like Zabasearch, Peoplefinders etc. that not only list your name, your address, and possibly your telephone number.
They also list your possible relatives, and clicking on their name will bring up all their info as well.
There are also these nefarious shopping sites like E-Bay, and OfferUp, as well as Google that keeps track of
every search from your IP address. If you have an IP enabled camera, you might be watched by people on the internet.
Careful Dave, they ARE out to get you. Best get rid of all your electronics, leave your house, go out into the remote
wilderness, find a cave or build an underground (ie: invisible) room, and hide.
Whatever you do, don't forget your towel. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy says the Earth is mostly harmless.
Merry Christmas Smiley
VE3PP

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2018, 12:39:30 PM »

I once told my regular Sunday golf partners I would not be playing the following Sunday. When asked why I said "I am going to a hamfest"

One of them asked me if I could pick him up a honey baked ham.

True story  Grin

As far as telling people I have my amateur radio license, I never get "So you're the guy interfering with my TV" or any other negative comments.

Maybe Burgerlover has a bad attitude to begin with and that is the reason no one likes him. Not the fact he is a ham!
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2018, 12:53:45 PM »

I once told my regular Sunday golf partners I would not be playing the following Sunday. When asked why I said "I am going to a hamfest"

One of them asked me if I could pick him up a honey baked ham.

True story  Grin

As far as telling people I have my amateur radio license, I never get "So you're the guy interfering with my TV" or any other negative comments.

Maybe Burgerlover has a bad attitude to begin with and that is the reason no one likes him. Not the fact he is a ham!

Maybe he made his burger with ham instead of beef .... That is a lot stranger than being a Ham....

KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2018, 03:06:43 PM »

As far as telling people I have my amateur radio license,...

I think if you ask around, you'll find that the most common response is: People still do that?!!

Wink
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2018, 03:51:09 PM »

Precisely! Sadly he and his type (Jazzman, FBI and KTN, etc.) will never figure that out.
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2018, 02:43:38 AM »

I can see the OP's point. Perhaps he has had bad interactions with neighbors complaining about RFI, QRM to their TVs and the like.

Not everybody has the same experiences.

KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2018, 11:11:58 AM »

Let me be Perfectly Clear . Ham Radio does not have a negative Impression. If anyone believes this is Mistaken. Keeping it Real. Nuff said.
Everyone please be safe and Enjoy the hobby. 73

P.S. Elvis Presley was a ham it can not be all that bad..
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2018, 01:44:39 PM »

Let me be Perfectly Clear . Ham Radio does not have a negative Impression. If anyone believes this is Mistaken.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: