The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Term ham leaves negative impression  (Read 7112 times)
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2018, 04:52:04 PM »

Come back Tony Hancock

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2018, 01:13:52 PM »

People do move......

Anyways, now we're back to worrying what other people think, or ' they'll find out where I live  '.  I have to show my name & address to buy beer.... ( I caused a problem in the grocery store when I showed the 17 YO clerk a draft card. The supervisor had a hard time understanding what it was. "This is not a valid military ID." Fun times.)

A long time ago, there were things called "phone books", that had your name, address and telephone number. You had to pay to not have this listed. And then  buy something at RadioShaft without giving them your address. 1984 Oceania Way, Oceania NY was nice.

On another note, what is the call of the YL in John's .gif ?

klc

phone books still exist, they are also online, they still ave your address, if you do not want to be listed you still have to pay extra

The phone book comparison is not quite equivalent in this case.  Since nearly everyone's info is in the phonebook the information and most people don't post their real name on most sites like craigslist or most others (with the exception of facebook but they typically post to smallish groups of friends) that isn't really a problem for folks since when most folks post online they don't use their real names or full names (even amazon reviews don't usually have full real names).

What if the list of all gun owners was posted online?  Is that a potential problem?  I'm thinking yes there was quite an uproar when that happened to some folks recently.

Why doesnt everyone use their real name and address on craigslist or other sites (other than the exception facebook)?

The answer is often privacy and safety.   

While Ham radio is a public license, does it really need to publish full name and address?  Why not just first name , callsign and town/state?  Wouldn't that cover most of the requirements for the license database?  If there was ever an issue someone could file a complaint on the FCC site that could get emailed to the person without the originator needing to even know their full name and address.

In this day and age where data can both help and hurt people it's probably useful to be mindful of your data.

The phone book comparison is equivilent. Many do list their phone numbers andd online phonebooks allow reverse look up.

some people are like slinky's. not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
WXSHAM

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2018, 10:26:08 AM »

The phone book comparison is equivilent. Many do list their phone numbers andd online phonebooks allow reverse look up.

Let's look at that a couple ways.

Phone book listings there are about 46% listed phone numbers.  Let's just use as an estimate that's 46% of 325 million people in the U.S. that's about 149 million people.  What do the listings tell you about them?  Name, phone #, address.  But since most people don't list anything identifying online for them to find that entry on 90+% of websites the large number of listings just makes this a atomic sized needle in a universe size haystack.  So those listings don't provide much of a security concern given the huge haystack and not much we can glean from those listings.
Yes criminals could target a specific person but not from their online information they would just have to randomly select someone local or based on their address with no other useful info.  Slightly derogatory or other  comments online since not tied back won't get them a visit from a crazed lunatic.

Let's take the listings of folks with guns if that were a thing... I think it's estimated that maybe one third have guns so that would be around 100 million or so.  It's a big haystack and those folks may not post online anything identifiable but there is one thing a nefarious person might know about their household they might be able to get a gun if they rob there.

Let's take the ham radio list now in the U.S. it may only be around 800,000 total.  When on air everyone gives their call which if someone finds their comments a bit derogatory or they don't like how they have been using the repeater with their baoefeng could result in someone showing up at their house (and as the one link I provided in this chain there was speculation a murder was related to something like that already.)
Again many folks post their calls online so an off comment that offends someone not of right mind could cause much more damage than in the other situations.  Also what else is known about these folks is they could have expensive radio equipment that might be sold.  Say what you will but that is more info than a criminal would know about the white pages, and with a list of gun owners that would be pretty ugly.  (You can say you aren't worried and for the most part the percentage chance is low... but most people probably  90+% of people on most sites i.e. craigslist, etc. other than facebook don't use their real names or something that could tie them back to a white page listing to avoid these scenarios.   Even if you aren't concerned we can see 90+% of people are not using identifiable info on most sites)

KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2018, 03:57:41 PM »

sheer paranoia

some people are like slinky's. not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2018, 07:41:18 AM »

sheer paranoia

Perhaps this is the wrong hobby for the excessively paranoid.
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2018, 12:14:28 PM »

sheer paranoia

Perhaps this is the wrong hobby for the excessively paranoid.

I do believe you might be correct

KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2018, 03:22:14 PM »

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

klc

EXTRALight  1/3 less WPM than a Real EXTRA
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2019, 09:23:00 AM »

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

klc

This is true, but it might be another they.......
Back in the 60s it was be careful what you say on the phone, the Gubmint has it tapped.
Today it is, Hey alexa tap, whats the weather for today?

KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2019, 04:28:35 PM »

I am proud to be a ham. I do not understand why ham has a negative connotation.  Huh?. Everyone please be safe and Enjoy the New Year 2019. 73s
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2019, 06:48:18 AM »

I am proud to be a ham. I do not understand why ham has a negative connotation.  Huh?. Everyone please be safe and Enjoy the New Year 2019. 73s

It doesn't unless the poor ham lives in a HOA or a NIMBY neighborhood.

N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2019, 08:04:16 AM »

It doesn't unless the poor ham lives in a HOA or a NIMBY neighborhood.
Or they have their onions onin the 'Bowl ...
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2019, 11:17:40 AM »

Proud to be ham radio operator. Proud to be a White male working. Proud to be a American. Proud to be a Navy veteran. Proud to be a member of the best ham radio site Eham Radio. Proud to Live on the Best Planet in our solar system. Nuff Said.
Everyone please be safe and Enjoy the new year 2019.

https://youtu.be/68cbjlLFl4U
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:19:45 AM by KC8KTN » Logged
K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2019, 12:24:48 PM »

Obscure random posts...multiple personalities?
Full deck?
 Shocked
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2019, 02:18:36 PM »

Full deck?
 Shocked

Yes....perhaps.
No.
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2019, 02:55:12 PM »

Full deck?
 Shocked

Yes....perhaps.
No.

Your guess is as good as mine.... where is that onion?

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: