The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Term ham leaves negative impression  (Read 6605 times)
WXSHAM

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2018, 09:12:05 PM »

While I really like amateur radio, there seems to be a significant percentage of people when they think about ham radio think about either those zombie shows or preppers which they seems to have a rather negative vibe with them. (We all know TV can have a big influence... it apparently still does)

I've tend to not talking about amateur radio to most non-ham folks (partly that and I'm guessing lack of interest from those folks or maybe I'm just not interesting Smiley ).  (Even my XYL thinks I'm doing something crazy when when using FT-8 hearing all those FT-8 sounds Smiley ).

So we should continue to think about how to attract folks into the hobby and how it can be portrayed in the best light.

Lots of folks have pointed out the privacy issues with the internet, cell phones, etc.  Most people dont use their real names on random websites they post to, other than things like facebook to a "smallish" group of friends.  Ham radio is sort of like posting your information to random websites you visit if you leave your callsign.  Why don't people use their real names and addresses on all craigslist ads? Well maybe because they are worried about people coming to take their stuff or worse perhaps?  Same is true for a lot of other websites like that.  It wouldn't hurt the hobby for the FCC public database to just have first name, callsign and town/state available would it?

In this day and age when someone can leave a bad tip at a restaurant (Maybe they deserved it) - and they could in turn post that name on the internet to publicly shame the person (and it goes viral) is that acceptable or not? (And they did that with perhaps just a name - What can someone else do with a name and address?)  In some cases what people has posted (possibly with just a name) has cost them their job or more.

We are in a new age of data where data can be used to help people or hurt them, so it might not be a bad idea to be mindful about your data.

I think there are lots of great things about this hobby and it can be a great help to people and the community.
I love the breadth and depth of this hobby from everything from operating to learning electronics, building your own radio, etc.
I also realize not everyone shares this view (though that is probably true of many things.  It's good to be aware of though so we can work on improving where we can).

K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2018, 02:06:47 AM »

Huh Huh

Who is behind the HAM thing?

#1--- half the earth hates PORK.  Seems to me a stupid choice. If you throw a HAM into a pig pen the pigs will eat it instant. Why do you think ham can be so economical at times...from countries with too much population...Huh Huh Huh Huh
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2018, 06:53:07 AM »

Post Office Box.

Another worry sent to bed W/O dinner.

KLC

EXTRALight  1/3 less WPM than a Real EXTRA
WXSHAM

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2018, 08:00:10 AM »

Post Office Box.

Another worry sent to bed W/O dinner.

KLC

That is a great idea though you would have had to do that prior to ever getting your license, because the license database has address/name history I believe.
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2018, 10:31:04 AM »

People do move......

Anyways, now we're back to worrying what other people think, or ' they'll find out where I live  '.  I have to show my name & address to buy beer.... ( I caused a problem in the grocery store when I showed the 17 YO clerk a draft card. The supervisor had a hard time understanding what it was. "This is not a valid military ID." Fun times.)

A long time ago, there were things called "phone books", that had your name, address and telephone number. You had to pay to not have this listed. And then  buy something at RadioShaft without giving them your address. 1984 Oceania Way, Oceania NY was nice.

On another note, what is the call of the YL in John's .gif ?

klc

« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:49:35 AM by KB2WIG » Logged

EXTRALight  1/3 less WPM than a Real EXTRA
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2018, 04:21:40 PM »

People do move......

Anyways, now we're back to worrying what other people think, or ' they'll find out where I live  '.  I have to show my name & address to buy beer.... ( I caused a problem in the grocery store when I showed the 17 YO clerk a draft card. The supervisor had a hard time understanding what it was. "This is not a valid military ID." Fun times.)

A long time ago, there were things called "phone books", that had your name, address and telephone number. You had to pay to not have this listed. And then  buy something at RadioShaft without giving them your address. 1984 Oceania Way, Oceania NY was nice.

klc

phone books still exist, they are also online, they still ave your address, if you do not want to be listed you still have to pay extra

some people are like slinky's. not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
WXSHAM

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2018, 06:52:06 AM »

People do move......

klc

phone books still exist, they are also online, they still ave your address, if you do not want to be listed you still have to pay extra

The phone book comparison is not quite equivalent in this case.  Since nearly everyone's info is in the phonebook the information and most people don't post their real name on most sites like craigslist or most others (with the exception of facebook but they typically post to smallish groups of friends) that isn't really a problem for folks since when most folks post online they don't use their real names or full names (even amazon reviews don't usually have full real names).

What if the list of all gun owners was posted online?  Is that a potential problem?  I'm thinking yes there was quite an uproar when that happened to some folks recently.

Why doesnt everyone use their real name and address on craigslist or other sites (other than the exception facebook)?

The answer is often privacy and safety.   

While Ham radio is a public license, does it really need to publish full name and address?  Why not just first name , callsign and town/state?  Wouldn't that cover most of the requirements for the license database?  If there was ever an issue someone could file a complaint on the FCC site that could get emailed to the person without the originator needing to even know their full name and address.

In this day and age where data can both help and hurt people it's probably useful to be mindful of your data.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2018, 08:11:13 AM »

While Ham radio is a public license, does it really need to publish full name and address?  Why not just first name , callsign and town/state?  Wouldn't that cover most of the requirements for the license database?  If there was ever an issue someone could file a complaint on the FCC site that could get emailed to the person without the originator needing to even know their full name and address.

Of course if one doesn't have a license this is a moot point, but I'll play along. If one is so concerned about the mean people of the internet finding out where they live, then don't get an amateur radio license. Join an online crochet club, or an online gaming club, or one of the many other online activities that allow anonymity. It's quite silly to expect special treatment when it comes to an amateur radio license...
WXSHAM

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2018, 09:54:32 AM »

Of course if one doesn't have a license this is a moot point, but I'll play along. If one is so concerned about the mean people of the internet finding out where they live, then don't get an amateur radio license. Join an online crochet club, or an online gaming club, or one of the many other online activities that allow anonymity. It's quite silly to expect special treatment when it comes to an amateur radio license...

We should try to be inclusive for more folks to join this hobby.

Also why is it special treatment?  When you get a passport they don't post all of your info online? When you get a gun license they don't put your info online?  When you get an auto license they don't post all of your info online? (At least I believe they don't for all of those and a lot more).  Why the special exposure for the ham license?

People don't use their real names on craiglist or almost any other site other than facebook, why is that?

So perhaps it is the amateur license that seems to get special treatment.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2018, 02:48:56 PM »

I never tell anyone I am a ham because it leaves a negative impression. First of all people will suspect you will interfere with their television reception if you live nearby. Second the word implies a bent at best or a compulsion at worst and a non professional compulsion like a eccentric relative or neighbor who moved years ago unexpectedly

I just tell people I am a technician, engineer and will be down in the Covar Valley on a job.

I don't mention radio whatsoever because that opens up another can of worms....illegal operation, pirate radio, religious fanatic, political nut.

Never post as a ham online so everyone knows your home address. Think most hams are nice? You must be a newbie or deceived. Friends are only people you've know very well for a long time.

You will save much grief if you follow my advice.

Dave
Electrical engineer

Not nearly as bad of a taste as someone using BURGERLOVERS as an id on an Amateur Radio website like you are either not licensed or you are ashamed that you are a Ham Operator? I remember many years ago when my mother told me that I was a Ham a long time before becoming a Ham Operator.As usual she was right.

Clayton
W4KVW
N1KWW

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2018, 04:44:41 PM »

I am a qualified Amateur Radio operator and yes, code is no longer a barrier to becoming a "ham!" If someone has a problem being called a "ham" or calling themselves a "ham" well, each to their own!
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2018, 07:39:02 AM »

Look to OHMS LAW..Nuff Said..73ss

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 07:43:40 AM by KC8KTN » Logged
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2018, 09:03:50 PM »

CHEESEBURGERLOVER
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2018, 08:35:55 AM »

CHEESEBURGERLOVER

I like taters.
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2018, 09:32:07 AM »

Dem french Fried Taters

some people are like slinky's. not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: