The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any ham radio operators who are experts in interstate trucking?  (Read 955 times)
N1AUP

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2018, 07:05:19 AM »

I'd like to chat with someone who is knowledgeable about how a company gets product from one state to another via truck.  I need to get product shipped to Mass from a variety of places, and know nothing about the trucking / freight business.

If anyone would like to share, I'd be grateful.

Thanks
N1AUP
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 09:09:37 AM »

I would think UPS would be your first choice.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
NZ4ZN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 02:15:43 PM »

As a custom/luxury homebuilder, we get special stuff shipped in from all over.

Offhand, I'd say that it's almost impossible to get a dedicated truck/flatbed trailer across a couple states for less than about $1,000.00 a trip, and coast-to-coast can be up to double that. The big killer is that the guy has to deadhead back with an empty trailer, so you pay for a two way trip. Maybe your business can make use of the trailer both ways...we can't.

Last time I shipped timbers from the Maine Barn Company, I had a competitive freight quote by a third party that was right in line with the timber company's trucker. $1,100.00 from Maine to Maryland for one load of timbers.

Try contacting Nate Lawyer with "FreightQuote.Com". NateLawyer-at-FreightQuote-dot-Com 816-949-6146

Good luck,
Ed
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 09:14:05 AM »

The big killer is that the guy has to deadhead back with an empty trailer, so you pay for a two way trip. Maybe your business can make use of the trailer both ways...we can't.

Call a freight broker.  They find "deadhead" trips and try to hook them up with loads, usually at somewhat of a discount.  I've heard of guys using Fastenal to ship stuff on their deadhead trips.  They're pretty good about it, too.
NZ4ZN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 09:23:49 AM »

Call a freight broker.  They find "deadhead" trips and try to hook them up with loads, usually at somewhat of a discount.  I've heard of guys using Fastenal to ship stuff on their deadhead trips.  They're pretty good about it, too.
Good suggestion and that's what the company I linked above does.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 09:46:42 AM »

Ive shipped antique thru muscle car era auto engines all over the USA using a broker and also asking on CB over about a 30 year period.

Carl
K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 03:24:58 PM »

I've shipped antique (thru the Muscle Car Era) auto engines all over the USA, using a broker and also asking on CB Radio, over about a 30 year period.

.... That's better!
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 08:47:55 AM »

Good suggestion and that's what the company I linked above does.

I've had commercial kitchen hoods delivered to my warehouse in reefer trucks.  We cranked up the reefer while we unloaded it.  Nice to have AC while you work.
N1KWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 04:28:50 PM »

This may be more than you need but explains licensing regulations on intrastate transportation of goods. https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/do-i-need-usdot-number
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: