The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I AM OBSOLETE  (Read 5704 times)
K1QQQ

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2018, 10:35:38 PM »

I was off the air and not active for quite a long time.

I have ended up living in some condo type housing that provides NO ANTENNAS (rules)..HIGH RF NOISE..and all that good stuff.

Hey..maybe get more active in some local clubs   ?

I found that I was a scorned creature and nobody would have anything to do with me.  I think the chief reason was I had not visited the barber shop every week to get shined up.

Then if not political ultra-conservative you were simply not wanted. geeezz  I'm getting old and I surely don't consider myself to be very liberal and left wing.  I even listen to Rush Limbaugh and other similar.

I have bad GI problems (from Cancer Surgery) so I can't really get into the Club Breakfasts which seem like about the only thing happening. I am hoping my GI improves over time.

I thought I remember Amateur Radio as a hobby of enjoying playing with radio waves that really did not have much admission criteria other than that. Political affiliation did not blacklist one from the hobby. (other than communists) I did hear that a parking or speeding ticket might have the government reject your application though.

I even upon visiting some clubs thought about adding to my QSL collection for memory sake a few local QSO's via HT. (2 WAY VHF/UHF) I was laughed out of every place for nothing other than NOBODY HERE QSL'S ANYMORE. I AM AN OBSOLETE JOKE .

I tried to participate in some operating events by bringing a cw key. I was laughed to hell as all proudly proclaimed ...We have no cw keys in this place, etc.etc., Mention some digital modes and get looked at strange. Why is cw preferred often ?(not to be discussed)

I wanted to push 30 meters BUT 30 was not an option and never was a 30 capable antenna allowed.

Operating awards are obsolete and not to be even mentioned. No DXCC..No WAS..No Grid Squares, etc.etc. Even then the NO QSL thing might be a problem at times. On-line QSL services people claim over 50% of confirmations are fake.

The repeaters. The good thing was they were open for usage but all conversation had to be political and only after you ingested steroids. Your super human accomplishments were the accepted topic. Do not have a RADIO conversation.

Half the earth hates PORK but only HAMS exist. --and everybody goes to Hamfests---
Listening is not allowed anymore. An old senile jerk that listens ?? Shortwave is dead but don't scorn one that still enjoys listening wherever it might be.(VLF or UHF,etc.)

There is a population of millions literally in this area and a check of the radio clubs will show a few members. Literally a few. Something wrong ?

I know I make no sense but I am beginning to get mentally shook up. I have allot invested in Amateur Radio and surely several people out of millions will not support holding onto spectrum.

I would suggest the clubs opening up to diverse thought and diverse radio enjoyment and not make politics a screening criteria. Even the female gender should be allowed to participate.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:39:16 PM by K1QQQ » Logged
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 03:25:41 AM »

I know what you mean. I'm disabled, had plenty of time on my hands, didn't mind keeping 4 repeaters going, plus a club shack and trailer. But the new gang decided I wasn't needed, so to run me off, the trumped up charges that I filled for an illegal club call. I proved them wrong with a letter from the FCC special counsel, walked away, sold all my gear, and have never been back to a club. If that is what amateur radio is, I have zero need for it.
WD4ED

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 05:25:42 AM »

Sorry to hear OM.  I once was the President of my favorite club.  I had to move for career purposes.  Years later after getting back into the hobby, I bit of the same thing.  I don't think it's your appearance or anything like that.  I simply found the hams nowadays to be as open and friendly to new and potential members as in the past.  This starts with the club leadership.  Which in some areas is almost a dictatorship. 

I do attribute some of this behavior to modern politics.  It's seeped into every aspect of our lives.  People are much less likely to bit their tongues and be tolerant. IMHO, this leads to a sort of "pre-judgment".  In years past we seem to think everyone we met were good people until proven otherwise.  It appears to be the opposite now.  We are in the days of "Guilty until proven innocent"... and then we are still skeptical!

But really the left is just pissed off and offended in general.  The right is pretty much pissed off about liberals...  It's an ugly situation and hard for people to simply "turn it off" for a common interest like they might have been able to in the past.

My suggestion is to be persistent and consistent.  If over time you still feel uncomfortable you'll probably know why.

Thanks,

Ed   
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 11:53:14 AM »

I have a lifetime membership in the AWA where everything is obsolete.  Grin
 http://www.antiquewireless.org/
 There has to be some club or organization where your interests would dovetail with others, hopefully both local and active.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 06:39:25 PM »

The OP's  post is complaining about a club -- but his screen name is the call sign of a club station:

K1QQQ
LOW FREQUENCY RESEARCH SOCIETY
PO BOX 320142
FAIRFIELD, CT 06432

The QRZ page for that call sign is managed by KH6AC ... who has that same Connecticut mailing address, but says on his QRZ page that he's located in American Samoa.

What's up with that?  Huh
NC5P

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 12:31:35 PM »

Get a list of local nets and start checking into them.  When you find a group on the air you like then visit their club meeting.  People at meetings are a lot more friendly when they've talked to you on the air first.  I've lived in condos and apartments and found ways around the restrictions.  Get a good antenna for your HT and take the dog for a walk up the hill or to the park.  Net times are great times to do this.  The fresh air and exercise will help your outlook on things. 
K1QQQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 02:51:15 AM »

I have not even read the threads here. Got a headache. I probably started a flame war...directed at me.....

I made some observations after visiting,etc. numerous clubs in this area.

Many..most persons are getting old..

Amateur Radio...now Ham Radio...I think that term was used off and on since the beginning of Amateur Radio but exclusive ? HAMS do only certain things. There is a set profile. To wander is weird.

HAM RADIO is a political party. (no?)

I have observed if one does not fit the HAM profile they are not really wanted and they will know it.

Anything that many/most enjoyed with Amateur Radio in the last few decades seems to be treated as obsolete and something not even to be mentioned.

CW ? It is obsolete assumed in present day society but for example FM is not the best mode for 160 dxing. If cw is obsolete the conversation should be about maybe a mode better for the purposes not just shun anything about the subject. Yes..I have been places where you are laughed out if you even mention CW.(and I see no talk about better modes)

I did not make up some of my observations as to HAMS and the accepted profile.  A political party. Use repeaters just to flex the ego. I'd swear I am going to hear even the President on the local repeaters some night.

Well..Amateur Radio can have a trillion different aspects depending what somebody enjoys.

Wrong as to HAM population ? There are millions in the area but several in area radio clubs ?

N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 07:42:37 AM »

I'm starting to think that the problem is your outlook. Change is constant, and sometimes makes us uncomfortable when the familiar slips away, but look on the bright side. There is much to be excited about as amateur radio embraces new technologies.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 08:54:34 AM »

During Field Day, we have more CW ops show up and make more points then voice at our club station. I think it is a matter of finding like minded people and not worry so much about the differences.

Our club still sponsors a 2M AM net. A general information net on our repeater. An ARES/RACES net on our repeater. Monthly meetings open to anyone. Run a swapfest that is well attended each year. Have our own VECs for testing at our swapfest. Active in several local events providing communications. Work with our county to provide supplemental/back up communications in the event of a system problem or emergency need.

While we don't have a physical club station, we can pull together equipment and antennas to do almost anything in a short period of time from almost anywhere.

We have hams with other hobbies from model trains to beer making. And I am sure plenty of other hobbies as well.

Just need to keep looking. There are plenty of possibilities out there. Most hams are not snobs unless you make them that way. Just need to keep an open mind to the possibilities.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 05:56:07 PM »

Maybe E-Ham should have a Safe Space Forum.
N0CEL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 09:26:07 PM »

Maybe E-Ham should have a Safe Space Forum.

Huh Roll Eyes
KJ7WT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 09:51:28 PM »

K1QQQ, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Mine has been pretty much the opposite. I'm a member of two clubs in the Reno/Carson City/Tahoe area, and have enjoyed the people and activities very much. Certainly, there are those who think that one's political views have to meet certain standards - I just don't make a big deal about it. We have old(er) folks (I'm 67), younger ones, men, women, teens - we have die-hard CW operators, repeater users (of all types) digital mode people (I'm one of them - SSB is pretty much useless when I'm able to operate - just S9 noise, mostly) and some very smart people who can help with a variety of technical issues.
I have not been very active for much of my ham life, but I recognize that times change, people change, and technology changes. I used to send and receive QSL cards, but with electronic systems, I rarely do that any more.
I used to be able to do 15wpm CW, but once I got my General ticket, I never used CW again, but I'm starting to re-visit CW, just for fun, and found an old J-38 that I fixed up in case I decide to actually get on the air! I rarely hear CW in my area, either, and usually when I do it is so fast I cannot copy any of it.
I'm hoping you can find a group of hams who are more accommodating, and will help you "ease" into the modern systems and modes. I think you'll find out that it can fun and challenging!
73, Dave, KJ7WT
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 08:38:23 AM »

Did anyone look up the call sign?

K1QQQ is a registered club call sign.

This whole post is a troll!

His real call is KH8AC. Read his self-inflicted bio on QRZ.com.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 08:50:48 AM by K6AER » Logged
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 08:52:39 PM »

Did anyone look up the call sign?

K1QQQ is a registered club call sign.

This whole post is a troll!

His real call is KH8AC. Read his self-inflicted bio on QRZ.com.

I guess we all better stay the heck away from 160 meter CW or we could wind up like KH8AC?  I hope not.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 04:46:16 PM »

A club that lives in an antenna-restricted condo that is having issues with other clubs. 

What a concept!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: