The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I AM OBSOLETE  (Read 7275 times)
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2019, 08:59:24 AM »

I have seen some folks come to a club meeting that look like they just got off of a freight car at the local intermodal yard.  What do they expect?  Sort of the same type that you see at hamfests that look and smell like they just came from a hobo camp.
Art
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2019, 07:58:52 PM »

I have seen some folks come to a club meeting that look like they just got off of a freight car at the local intermodal yard.  What do they expect?  Sort of the same type that you see at hamfests that look and smell like they just came from a hobo camp.
Art

Maybe they expect to be treated as fellow hams. After all, they passed tests for their licenses too.

If you need to turn up your nose at a class of people in this hobby, maybe your in the wrong hobby. 

I didn't get a dress code with my FCC License. But hey, you show me the written rules on a dress code that is enforced by any government agency for club meetings or hamfests and that will prove me wrong. And then I will still disagree with you which is allowed by the US Constitution.

No one has a right to discriminate against others for any reason. Even your idea of a dress code.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2019, 03:58:59 PM »

Art

Maybe they expect to be treated as fellow hams. After all, they passed tests for their licenses too.

If you need to turn up your nose at a class of people in this hobby, maybe your in the wrong hobby. 

I didn't get a dress code with my FCC License. But hey, you show me the written rules on a dress code that is enforced by any government agency for club meetings or hamfests and that will prove me wrong. And then I will still disagree with you which is allowed by the US Constitution.

No one has a right to discriminate against others for any reason. Even your idea of a dress code.

There is no dress code in HAM clubs, but like in any private club - newcomers should adhere to certain culture to be accepted. If someone does not want to adjust his habits - he should not complain that he was rejected.

As to original author question - he need to find a club with well equipped club station. There he can be useful in organizing activities around it and also use that said station for actual on-air work (contests, DX etc.). I understand that clubs like that are not very common, but there is almost always one within less than 1 hour drive radius.

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2019, 02:01:19 AM »

There is no dress code in HAM clubs, but like in any private club - newcomers should adhere to certain culture to be accepted. If someone does not want to adjust his habits - he should not complain that he was rejected.

Nice to see discrimination is alive and well instead of being an Elmer and trying to help a fellow Ham succeed. That is what should be obsolete.

And why is it that 1 must follow exactly the whims of another? Isn't HR supposed to be a mix of all cultures and lifestyles? Would you reject a Ham from a third world rare DX nation because he doesn't look, dress, or smell right? Or is it that you have your boys club and no one else is allowed, so you dream up excuses to reject people you think you don't like?

Sorry but attitudes like that are part of the reason many think of Ham's as elitists and refrain from participating or even getting a license. You reap what you sow...and discrimination in any form gives HR nothing but a black eye.

73, Stan
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2019, 08:21:26 AM »

Sorry but attitudes like that are part of the reason many think of Ham's as elitists and refrain from participating or even getting a license. You reap what you sow...and discrimination in any form gives HR nothing but a black eye.

There is nothing wrong with being part of elite. Moreover, desire to be among selected few could be one of reasons to get licensed.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2019, 07:01:09 PM »

There is nothing wrong with being part of elite. Moreover, desire to be among selected few could be one of reasons to get licensed.
Well if your so into being elite, then don't mix with the rest of us and then complain because we exist. I am sure there are more average Joe types in HR than the elites.

73, Stan
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: