The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Negative reviews  (Read 1192 times)
WA1MOW

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2018, 03:50:47 PM »

I find it interesting that people will give a negative review on an item they had for years. They often start out by saying how well it work, and the great feedback they got while using. Then all of a sudden, after years, it failed.

Does anyone find these useful?

Or just annoying.
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 04:20:59 PM »

I find it useful.
If I leave a bad review for a Heathkit HW-101 people may not buy them.
If people don't buy them the price goes down on Ebay.
When the price goes down I can buy more.

some people are like slinky's. not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 03:10:15 AM »

Actually, if they actually state a problem with the item, sometimes it gives a person something to look at if they find the same item and become interested in it. That's one reason the search tool comes in handy. You can find those buried nuggets.

If it's just to whine, then it can be annoying.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
NZ4ZN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 04:06:50 AM »

I'd rather see someone with experience with the device come back with a more realistic review than to just go by the new user reviews. Having someone excited with their new radio saying that "it's wonderful!" is of limited value compared to hearing from someone who has lived through the infatuation and now sees issus for what they are.
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 04:53:36 AM »

What is annoying is how people will give an item a bad review, yet they never contacted the manufacturer or the distributor to see if there is a simple resolution to the issue.   

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 06:40:40 AM »

Always test with a known good sample.

I love it when "reviewers" give poor marks to something that's passed through the hands of half a dozen Golden Screwdriver Experts before it arrives on their doorstep...and they attempt to use it as-is - or make problems worse with their own toolkits.
K5DH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 10:12:42 AM »

Reviews from people who've used a product for a few days or even a few weeks are of little value to me.  Use it for a year and then tell me how you feel about it.  "Best tires I've ever had!" means little when you've only driven on them for a few hundred miles. 

Reviews that just say, "I love it!" or "I hate it!" are also useless.  Tell me why you love it or hate it. 

Reviews with no real detail aren't worth much, either.  "Great receiver!"... okay, what's so great about it?  "Terrible antenna!"... okay, what makes it so terrible? 

Yeah, so I'm a crabby old codger.  Whatever.  Stay off my lawn!   Cheesy
AD0LR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 09:42:33 PM »

It has been my experience that most reviews are not worth the toilet paper they are written on!  To make an effective review, the reviewer needs to include why it is positive/negative and what they did to correct/work around the issue if applicable.

Most reviews on youtube for new equipment are worthless.  You will hear things like "I will have this in my shack" "this is the best one yet".  Only to find out they traded it on a new gizmo two videos later.  A "professional" youtube reviewer cannot give a truly negative review of any equipment, it could impact their ability to get/test out the next unit.

Most negative reviews are user error, or the user tinkering with the equipment to make it do something it was never designed for.  Eventually the user will alter the equipment so much it becomes a problem.

I am not saying we should not tinker with our toys, that is one of the things I like about ham radio.  We should take reviews with a huge grain of salt and a large dose of scepticism. 

Brian
AD0LR

KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 03:28:09 AM »

I agree. I may learn more from a critical reviewer than some glowing report that looks like it was written by the manufacturer's marketing dept.
 A critical review does not necessarily doom a purchase. I have been happily impressed with some communications receivers that did not get premium marks. An understanding of the 'possible' shortcomings is useful to me.
 I have read Consumer Reports rankings and consider them a subjective opinion, much of the time.
 Rick (KC7MF) has a very good article on understanding equipment reviews published here:
 https://www.eham.net/articles/41909
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 03:25:15 PM »

AD0LR

It has been my experience that most reviews are not worth the toilet paper they are written on!

I agree! Unless there are well justifiable measurements included, they are useless - except PERHAPS on ergonomics. But only perhaps..
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 03:32:18 PM »

I had a 6M converted SB-200 amp receive a negative review on Eham. It was then "supposedly" fixed and sold. Since Im well known for quality work I suspect the buyer got into it, made a mess,  and dumped it without even testing the "repair".

The new owner contacted me out of the blue via a recommendation as it didnt do anything but fry the tubes and after getting the story/history and confirming the serial # I asked him to send it to me.

It was the worst Hammy Hambone mess Ive ever seen.

After several hours of work and the new tubes he had already purchased installed, it performed as expected and the customer was happy. I didnt charge anything.

I contacted Eham, I wasnt even a member yet, and they said they couldnt do anything for me and of course you cant reply to your own review.

Another Eham negative review was a setup by one of my competitors and a very unstable customer that I was warned about before doing the conversion. Got the same song and dance from Eham but dont remember who it was as this also was years ago.

There has also been a lot of unwarranted negative reviews going around recently on all sorts of products/services and getting media attention to combat it.

Carl
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 04:25:39 PM »

I find it interesting that people will give a negative review on an item they had for years. They often start out by saying how well it work, and the great feedback they got while using. Then all of a sudden, after years, it failed.

Does anyone find these useful?

Or just annoying.

Reviews are not intended to hold your hand through the buying process.

Skim the reviews for useful information. If several reviews mention an issue, it's likely an inherent fault.

I don't get why some people complain about reviews.

You are not obligated to agree with a review in its entirety.
N4MU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 05:23:09 AM »

I've read the preceding reviews about reviews and I am still not sure whether I should believe the review reviews. That's pretty much the sum of it!  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: