The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New HF Transceiver under $900  (Read 5795 times)
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2018, 06:45:25 AM »

....and CW, except for some small features on the CW side I feel it did more than just fine,

Please elaborate Smiley
WB8LBZ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2018, 06:54:16 AM »

I have bought 5 Icom 7100 (sold 2 to local hams for cost) and have bought all used. I have never paid over $750 and bought one for less than $700. All of them were nearly new, in the box and some with the screen protector still on. I use PayPal (not Friends and Family) and have had not had any regrets. It is as close as you can get to a shack in the box. I like Icom, some like Kenwood or Yaesu. If you have a favorite brand stick to it as anything else will seem second best. Let Google be you friend and do some research. Have fun.

73, Larry  WB8LBZ
El Paso, TX
KB2WVO

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2018, 12:22:04 PM »

sets bet. coffee is winning bet..
sorry when u dont buy a 7300... a 991a is junk. nothing but issues all i read ...
if i could sell this 897 i have.. i would get a 7300..
icom slamed it over the green monster all the way into iceland.. its a damn good radio...

ico 718 is not worth the money its a barebones radio for a midevil price...

7300 is the way to go....

and if i forgot to say ... 7300....

N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2018, 06:58:21 AM »

sets bet. coffee is winning bet..
sorry when u dont buy a 7300... a 991a is junk. nothing but issues all i read ...
if i could sell this 897 i have.. i would get a 7300..
icom slamed it over the green monster all the way into iceland.. its a damn good radio...

ico 718 is not worth the money its a barebones radio for a midevil price...

7300 is the way to go....

and if i forgot to say ... 7300....

Never had an issue with the FT-991A. Search on Bing shows no failures. Where were you reading about a bunch of failures? I cannot find anything on the internet. Your statement seems bogus to me. The older FT-991 had RF final amp failures early on.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 07:02:39 AM by N8FVJ » Logged
K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2018, 12:04:34 PM »

I second Jame's (N8FVJ) statement.

I have two FT991s (and quite a few other radios) and they've held up fine for a number of years, now, despite one being a travel radio that's taken a fair share of mechanical and electrical abuse.  And they perform better than my dedicated VHF/UHF radios (in particular, the FT-991 is all mode and C4FM too).  Pretty good HF performance, too, especially the digital noise reduction.  EASY TO listen to.  And for digital modes, has the sound card built in.  Not too shabby!

Brian - K6BRN

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2018, 11:18:12 AM »

I want my...I want my...I want my MTV 991!

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2018, 07:20:24 PM »

Actually I like the Yaesu FT-991A better than my TS-590SG. I like the 2m and 430mHz, real time spectrum display plus the DNR works great. I sold the TS-590SG although the TS-590SG is a better contest radio. I do not enter contests..
KJ6TAR

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2018, 09:05:02 AM »

I have been reading this thread with interest as I am considering a purchase. I hope some of you more experienced hands might have some suggestions for me and my operating conditions.

My radio "shack" is a corner of a steel building workshop. It is unheated in the winter and not air conditioned in the summer. The corner has walls but dust and dirt, humidity and such are a fact of life. My main radio has been an old Kenwood TS-430s. I love the simplicity but it is starting to exhibit some transmit problems.

I was considering the IC-718 because of its relative simplicity but the IC-7300 is clearly a better value. My concern is how well either will hold up to my operating conditions? Should I just get the 430s fixed and keep using it? How about the IC-7200? I see it is back in produand is (?) more rugged?

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 09:09:54 AM by KJ6TAR » Logged
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2018, 10:23:31 AM »

I have been reading this thread with interest as I am considering a purchase. I hope some of you more experienced hands might have some suggestions for me and my operating conditions.

My radio "shack" is a corner of a steel building workshop. It is unheated in the winter and not air conditioned in the summer. The corner has walls but dust and dirt, humidity and such are a fact of life. My main radio has been an old Kenwood TS-430s. I love the simplicity but it is starting to exhibit some transmit problems.

I was considering the IC-718 because of its relative simplicity but the IC-7300 is clearly a better value. My concern is how well either will hold up to my operating conditions? Should I just get the 430s fixed and keep using it? How about the IC-7200? I see it is back in produand is (?) more rugged?

How cold does your shack get...sub zero? Extreme heat or cold could affect operation, especially LED screens, but it has to be rather extraordinary. As far as dust, keep it covered when not in use, and well ventilated when in use. Pony up to the Icom 7300 for a few hundred more. You'll be glad  if you do.
KJ6TAR

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2018, 10:32:48 AM »

How cold does your shack get...sub zero? Extreme heat or cold could affect operation, especially LED screens, but it has to be rather extraordinary. As far as dust, keep it covered when not in use, and well ventilated when in use. Pony up to the Icom 7300 for a few hundred more. You'll be glad  if you do.

Sub zero is a possibility any winter and a certainty in a cold winter like we had in 2013. Thanks!
KN0V

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2018, 01:59:59 PM »

Went to the Gigaparts web site today. You can get a brand new FTDX-1200 for $825.00 due to a $250 instant rebate. I expect DX Engineering and others also have the same thing going
KJ6TAR

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2018, 02:20:43 PM »

In my reading on these it seems like it is more menu driven than the Icoms. I really like my old radio's simple interface and would like to keep whatever I get on the simple side. I don't need to bust pileups nor dig out the faintest signal. I am beginning to think that I need something I can bring inside when it gets too cold. The operating temperatures for both the 7200 and 7300 are + 14 Fahrenheit on the low end. I don't think I could stay out in the shop very long at that temperature but I wonder if it would hurt the radio to stay out in the cold we get here in Southern Michigan.

K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2018, 01:49:16 PM »

If you don't need a touch screen radio, I just bought a very nice IC-7200 for $550.00. Great performing 100 watt radio with down conversion DSP. Rack handles for portable operation ran $50 from HRO. A used MFJ929 auto antenna tuner was $150.00 from QTH.com

Total investment is $750.

According to your budget I would have $150 for antenna, coax and a power supply/battery combination.
KJ6TAR

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2018, 07:04:17 PM »

If you don't need a touch screen radio, I just bought a very nice IC-7200 for $550.00. Great performing 100 watt radio with down conversion DSP. Rack handles for portable operation ran $50 from HRO. A used MFJ929 auto antenna tuner was $150.00 from QTH.com

Total investment is $750.

According to your budget I would have $150 for antenna, coax and a power supply/battery combination.

$550 is a great price! I don't need, in fact I don't want a touch screen. Thanks!
N6MST

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2018, 08:42:58 AM »

How is this thread still alive? You haven't gotten an IC-7300 yet? What are you waiting for?
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: