The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MYSTERY AMPLIFIER CABINET??? ANYONE RECOGNIZE IT?  (Read 1473 times)
N6QWP

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2018, 09:02:31 PM »

Swapmeet special....gray amplifier (?) cabinet.....similar to 30L-1 type.  Has opening top lid, 30L-1 fits (almost) inside from the front.....BUT, the front "ring" slopes INWARD towards the bottom (not vertical like Collins) and the front panel of a 30L-1 does NOT flush out with the bottom.  Lower edge sticks out just a tiny bit.

Back of cabinet panel has the following printed info on top of the long rectangular access opening along bottom:                                  

1000V   FUSE   ON   FRONT    

1000V          REMOTE

150V 216V  6.3      6.3

12V FUSE ON FRONT        450V

AC NO FUSE     12VDC REG

Does anyone recognize the rig that this cabinet was from???   Want to use it for an old 30L-1 project.      

Would love to see how they flushed out the front panel with the lower edge.  Tnx es 73                      
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:24:34 PM by N6QWP » Logged
VU2NAN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 06:00:35 AM »

A picture is worth a thousand words!

Nandu.

KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 08:24:34 AM »

Yep, need some photos.

OTOH the old Hunter series of amps used a similar cabinet that might be from LMB Heeger out in LA who is still in business.

Carl
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 01:54:21 PM »

Unfortunately, unable to load pics.....but the cabinet is as described:  Looks like a Collins cabinet except that the front side edges slope down and inwards about an inch, so that the lower edge is just shy of the panel, while the top of the front panel is recessed inside the top edge about 3/4" .

The rear looks similar with the long narrow rectangular opening near the bottom....and the printed nomencature (above the opening) is as described previously (except the vertical spacing between lines is closer together).

PS--I just looked up pics for Hunter amps....  but their cabinets also seem to have vertical front edges.  Must be something else?  

The sloping edges are the "telltail trademark" of whatever this one is from???  Thanx
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:14:31 PM by N6QWP » Logged
WA5VGO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 04:39:35 PM »

Sounds like something built in one of the LMB type CO-1 cabinets. They were Collins look-alike cabinets and very popular is the 1960’s and 70’s for homebrew projects.
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 05:40:23 PM »

********BINGO!*******

THANX WA5VGO

MYSTERY SOLVED!
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 05:46:27 PM »

OTOH the old Hunter series of amps used a similar cabinet that might be from LMB Heeger out in LA who is still in business.

As I suggested earlier but you gave the impression it was a commercial product.  Ive used LMB CO series cabinets for decades for projects and still have a few NOS ones on a shelf.

Carl
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 05:52:57 PM »

Yes, thanx Carl.....I checked their site, but without that model number, I didn't see it.

As always, we all appreciate all of the waning knowledge that the few of you "gurus" do share with the rest of us.

I was starting at zero.....so I had no information about the cabinet.  Someone did a pretty nice job of stenciling in the writing on the back....looks semi professional.  Now, upon closer inspection, I can see that it is NOT silkscreened.....but stenciled.

I still have to figure out a way to get the bottom of the front panel of the 30L-1 to mate up to the cabinet.  Since it will NOT fit inside the enclosure, will have to figure out some kind of "split" plastic tubing to cover the bottom of the panel and cut it in to mesh with the case???

If anyone has used one of these cabinets with the sloping edges, I'd love to hear how it could or should be used, so that the bottom of whatever chassis front panel used, will not stick out.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 06:09:36 PM by N6QWP » Logged
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 04:21:58 PM »

Finally figured out why the 30L-1 panel would not go all the way inside the cabinet.  Turns out the cabinet is distorted a bit.....evidently from previously being dropped.

I was able to force the panel all the way inside using a knife blade and a bunch of pressure.  I am searching for a BIG C clamp so that I can compress the distorted area back to where it belongs.

"The Project" now looks professional (actually very close to what it should).  Other than the different markings on the new meter, and scratches on the inside of the case where the fit was waaaay too tight (can be resprayed in the future), I am now, very happy with the way it looks.

Now, back to putting it all back together using scrounged parts and chewing gum.
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 04:54:55 PM »

Probably the CO1 series.  Used them when I was homebrewing all my gear back in re 70s.

https://lmbheeger.com/coseries.aspx
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 08:50:45 AM »

Thanx Peter, that is the correct cabinet model.

***Still looking for some of the metal work, if someone has an old 30L-1 chassis for parts***
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:53:34 AM by N6QWP » Logged
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 11:28:31 AM »

Finally figured out why the 30L-1 panel would not go all the way inside the cabinet.  Turns out the cabinet is distorted a bit.....evidently from previously being dropped.

My SB-200 cabinet is 'tweaked' from being dropped by the previous owner. Thankfully (knock on wood) it's pretty reliable it doesn't need to be removed often.. but it's always a challenge to take the chassis out & internal cover off due to being 'tweaked'. Picked it up for the cost of shipping & a set of new tubes and a few minor repairs along the way.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 11:56:02 AM »

ELDICO built radios for a government contract  which looked like the S LIne.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: