The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP?? Maybe not much longer.  (Read 2628 times)
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2018, 01:08:27 PM »

RND: I connected the antenna directly to the SWR meter and was shocked at the readings!
7 .050 = 0.0
7.290 = 1.1
I cannot recall ever running a rig without a trans-match connected! Probably because I worked other bands on occasion with a long wire. Guess I'm about to get a lil bit of extra space around the rig from now on! Hi. (Well, maybe check out 20 with this dipole antenna while it's set to the 40 meter tabs and maybe hook up the trans-match for that. I don't know.)
Charlie, K3UIM

Where you are: I was!
Where I am: You will be!
So be nice to us old fogies!!
N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 01:40:37 PM »

Well that could be "good" news.  Next thing, how high is your antenna off of the ground?
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 02:41:05 PM »

RND: I connected the antenna directly to the SWR meter and was shocked at the readings!
7 .050 = 0.0
7.290 = 1.1
I cannot recall ever running a rig without a trans-match connected! Probably because I worked other bands on occasion with a long wire. Guess I'm about to get a lil bit of extra space around the rig from now on! Hi. (Well, maybe check out 20 with this dipole antenna while it's set to the 40 meter tabs and maybe hook up the trans-match for that. I don't know.)
Charlie, K3UIM

That SWR plot seem extremely low.  As in dummy load low.  That doesn't  look like any 40 meter antenna I have ever seen or used.   I assume you mean at 7.050 Mhz the SWR is 1:1  and at 7.290 Mhz the SWR is 1.1:1  If so, my statement above stands.  Something is very very wrong.
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2018, 03:10:45 PM »

UA: No! At 7.050 = 1.0 (Needle just slightly nudges) and at 7.290 = 1.1 (Needle goes to the first line)
The meter starts at 1 and 4 lines later is 1.5 and 5 lines later it's 2, etc.
I get those readings with or without the trans-match connected in the antenna line.
Charlie, K3UIM

WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 03:17:33 PM »

if you want a nice  amp for your qrp rig for a decent price then check the following links.

http://qrp-labs.com/linear

A qrp friend of mine has 2 of the above amps combined with coaxial inline homebrew low pass filters to get ~ 40 watts for 40 or 20 meters.

He is running the amps from a 25 dollar e-bay  ~ 20 volt power supply and using a home brew Lumped element Wilkinson power splitter on the input and the same on the output  of the 2 combined power amps and he is measuring 42 watts output on 40M and 38 watts on 20M.

He's using a T/R relay switch that he  obtained from this link
http://www.w6pql.com/using_inexpensive_relays.htm

total parts cost and he is still under 175 dollars for everything he purchased along with using a junkbox case and some connectors etc for the amp.

This was still considerably cheaper than any of the other aftermarket amps that are marketed to qrp users.
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 03:55:58 PM »

VLC: Looks like something I'd like! Thanks.
Charlie, K3UIM

K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 04:28:49 PM »

RND: About 25 feet. Being Friday night, the 40 meter band seems to be jumping and lots of cw activity. I may try my luck after a while.
Charlie, K3UIM

N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2018, 10:09:48 AM »

Although 25 feet considered too low on 40, my 40 meter vee is only 35 feet at the apex and ends are at 15 feet, but I do well with it.  I can even work into Europe with it.
As the other poster commented, the swr are curve is way too broad.  There is some kind of loss going on somewhere.  What's your coax situation?
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2018, 01:26:37 PM »

RND: I'll check my coax to see if I have a mismatch in the line or something. I love how it seems to work (SWR) bit if it's a matter of just "tuning up my coax"Huh I'll get back to you on it.
Charlie, K3UIM

W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2018, 05:26:52 PM »

Rough conditions even with 100W.  Good luck though, admire your gusto...
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2018, 10:50:59 PM »

RND: Oops! Looking at my SWR meter, of which I have 2, one a Siltronix and the other a Monarch, both giving identical readings, I find there is a "percentage Ref power" under the scale. According to that scale, I would still be getting only a 1 percent reflected reading when it registers on what I called the 1.1 reading.
I cannot find the cable number on the antenna lead-in. I will check further in the am, though.
Charlie, K3UIM

G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2018, 12:30:15 AM »

Here on the “other side of the pond”, there is a lot of CW activity during weekday mornings. Typically between sunrise and 2 hours later (0800 - 1000 local time). I monitor several bands simultaneously using a small home brew PA0RDT type active antenna in the corner of the garden connected to a QS1R receiver, in turn it connects to my shack computer running CW Skimmer Server. This is the same setup as many of those connected to the RBN (Reverse Beacon Network), although in my case it only feeds the Cluster page of my logging program (Log4OM).

I see a lot of hams complaining the HF bands are “dead” and they are giving up. There is tons of activity, it’s just inexperienced operators picking the wrong time/band. I usually monitor the CW segments (obviously) of 160/80/40/30/20/17m between 0800 and 1000 local and often see a hundred or so CQ calls. Those are not phantom signals and the antenna is only 7 feet above ground. I monitor while taking part in a daily 160m SSB net, so am not in a position to reply to callers, but often before and after the net I will reply to one or two CQs.

Ham activity maybe different across in the US, but in Europe there is plenty of CW around. If I am leaving the main shack RX on a frequency, I tend to listen on 7.028 during the mornings and 3.558 in the evening, these are the frequencies used by FISTS members. You don’t need to be a member to be there and we are all happy to work non members and to QRS. FISTS is all about encouraging CW activity. Beware that we like to ragchew...

73 Dave
https://www.qsl.net/g4aon/pa0rdt_aa/
https://fists.co.uk
N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2018, 06:42:06 AM »

Charlie
How long is the coax?
K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2018, 10:21:52 AM »

UA: I found the pouch the antenna came in. It is a "Windcamp".
Charlie, K3UIM

K3UIM

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2018, 10:24:18 AM »

RND: About 40 feet, but I have a piece about 18 inches coupling the antenna to the SWR meter with no telling what ohmage it is.
Charlie, K3UIM

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: