The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Make Extra test Easier  (Read 7174 times)
K1FBI

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2018, 12:54:28 PM »

Time spent posting here could be time spent studying for the Extra, if that's what you want. When you want something bad enough you will put in the effort.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2018, 01:52:01 PM »

Time spent posting here could be time spent studying for the Extra, if that's what you want. When you want something bad enough you will put in the effort.

Well said.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2018, 04:00:12 PM »

Quote from: G3RZP on Today at 08:32:31 AM

It's only a hobby for rich white people". That sort of attitude can lead to loss of spectrum access.....

agreed.  Also, not true.  A pixie II can be had on eBay for $2.50. And up.  This hobby can be done for pocket change.  Not to mention taking parts from old radios, t v s etc.  And all humans can take part in the hobby.  Regardless of income.  Or social status.

Yes!  Over 50 years ago, I worked with a guy who came from Barbados. He was from a very poor family and left school at 14 to look after families' goats. But they had public libraries, and he had learnt about radio there.  He came to the UK and got a job at Marconi: they offered him, as a test technician, one day off a week to go to college (standard procedure for them) and if he passed his exams at the year end, to pay his exam fees and for his text books. So he went on to get fully qualified as an engineer, and told me that he would stay in the UK for three years to pay back for his tuition. After that he went back to Barbados to each electrical engineering. I don't know what his Barbados callsign  became....

Now that is the sort of approach that needs commending -  and BTW he was not only black but told the largest number of (now not-totally PC) racist jokes I have ever heard!

KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2018, 04:17:24 PM »

I will just study . There is a online program ham test online that is a good program. Every time i have started somthing comes up. I have been working 6 days a week.  My free time i have been going to the Nursing home to see my Mom. I have power of Attorney and have been paying her bills ect. I run a cnc gear shaving machine with + or - .0003 I am sure I can pass the test if I apply my self. Lets everybody have a Blessed day and be safe. 73s
P.S. I am 58 yrs I watched a lot of westerns growing up I can almost read smoke symbols so I know I can pass this Extra
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 04:20:07 PM by KC8KTN » Logged
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2018, 05:44:12 PM »

There is a online program ham test online that is a good program. Every time i have started somthing comes up.

We're all in the same boat regarding things "coming up."

It can be all about setting priorities.

It can also be about getting help with studying or studying with other people. Many clubs have license-enhancement classes. They often are designed not only to help you develop test-taking skills but also to keep you looking at new and interesting subjects which have to do with exam topics.

I don't recommend trying to do such things on one's own or only with a computer or a book. Some of us can learn things alone with a study guide. Most of us benefit greatly from studying with others.

Make it easy on yourself. Join a group working on getting through the exam.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2018, 07:04:01 PM »

I will just study . There is a online program ham test online that is a good program. Every time i have started somthing comes up.

Good for you. Life throws all of us curve balls, but as a previous poster said, you can do it if you want it bad enough. By the way eHAM has practice tests too. Look under Resources.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2018, 12:39:06 AM »

I don't recommend trying to do such things on one's own or only with a computer or a book. Some of us can learn things alone with a study guide. Most of us benefit greatly from studying with others.

Make it easy on yourself. Join a group working on getting through the exam.

You are correct about setting priorities.
The very reason this is something to tackle independently.

Working with others results in time delays, dealing with excuses, and others lack of ambition.

https://hamexam.org
KB2CRK

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2018, 03:46:13 AM »

I will just study . There is a online program ham test online that is a good program. Every time i have started somthing comes up. I have been working 6 days a week.  My free time i have been going to the Nursing home to see my Mom. I have power of Attorney and have been paying her bills ect. I run a cnc gear shaving machine with + or - .0003 I am sure I can pass the test if I apply my self. Lets everybody have a Blessed day and be safe. 73s
P.S. I am 58 yrs I watched a lot of westerns growing up I can almost read smoke symbols so I know I can pass this Extra

If this is the case then why all the whining about making it easier?
Have a blessed christmas Chuck.

some people are like slinky's. not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2018, 07:08:14 AM »

Working with others results in time delays, dealing with excuses, and others lack of ambition.

Sounds like a deeply committed antisocial attitude. Sad.

My lifetime of working with others, in all aspects of life, has always been positive.

One of the great virtues of democracy is that two (or more) heads are better than one. Marriage. Church. Organizations of all kinds. The United States.

Human beings are essentially social creatures. A major proportion of our learning experiences come from our ability to observe and imitate what we experience of others. That's how infants get started and the process continues throughout life.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2018, 07:21:56 AM »

Sounds like a deeply committed antisocial attitude. Sad.

My lifetime of working with others, in all aspects of life, has always been positive.

One of the great virtues of democracy is that two (or more) heads are better than one. Marriage. Church. Organizations of all kinds. The United States.

Human beings are essentially social creatures. A major proportion of our learning experiences come from our ability to observe and imitate what we experience of others. That's how infants get started and the process continues throughout life.

Sounds like a deeply delusional, idealistic attitude. Sad.

There's a time to be social.

And there's a time to focus, and accomplish.

Can you honestly say that your approach to taking a test would result in anything more than needless delays and obstacles?

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 07:41:36 AM by SOFAR » Logged
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2018, 07:49:25 AM »

Grammar school students pass the Extra.  How much easier do you want to make it?  How about this, no written test, only a 20WPM CW test.
Art
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2018, 09:58:06 AM »

Since when is the A@@L in charge of testing?... Oh yeah, you heard it on 80 meters.

Cheesy Grin Wink The ARRL is in charge just ask them.If it were up to them there would be No Test so they could increase membership numbers since they are very LOW for the number of Licensed Hams in North America.They are down right desperate for dues paying members.

Clayton
W4KVW
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2018, 10:00:46 AM »

Can you honestly say that your approach to taking a test would result in anything more than needless delays and obstacles?

Absolutely. The OP has evidently spent years trying to get up to speed on the Extra exam.

A local ham club puts on an Extra class once a year which meets once a week for 10 weeks. A significant percentage of attendees pass the exam which is given on the last night.

I enjoyed the class even putting up with a traffic-filled commute on the way over. Met a lot of nice people and learned a lot from the talks given each night by enthusiasts. Part of the course focused on how to maximize your test-taking skills (examples: don't bother to study "wrong" answers--study only the "right" ones).

In class we discussed the fact that many of the more complex questions used the same or similar values so that no calculating was needed to answer the question properly. Ballparking the answer value would get you close enough to ID the right answer.

I maintain that humans are basically social animals and as such do much better at virtually every task, including being happy, when they are adequately engaged socially.

If you bother to read about the lives of scientific "geniuses" and inventors you will find that they mostly worked, far from alone, along with many associates.

Having worked as a therapist I do know the downside of antisocial attitudes and behavior.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:03:31 AM by KE6EE » Logged
K5NOK

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2018, 10:36:27 AM »

I became an extra in 2015.
Read the ARRL extra license manual.
Took the practice tests from this site and/or other ham sites.
Oh, Yeah...I suck am not good at math.
I had one math question on my exam.
The other difficult thing for me was the whole voltage leading current thing.
But... "eli the ice man" actually helped me on the test.

IT CAN BE DONE.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2018, 11:23:59 AM »

Thanks for all the good advice and get off my butt encouragement this is going to get done in the next few months. Everyone please be safe and Enjoy the hobby. 73s.

One of the best thing about extra in my onion is I will be able to talk below 3.800 in 80 meters..

https://youtu.be/JBHKVAs85Ko
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 11:26:34 AM by KC8KTN » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: